Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
P0102, WX plug install, poss. damaged... old problem? - Page 11

WeaponX even acknowledge that this is an issue some experience.

Others have had great success with them, don't get me wrong, but it has happened. Some people have good success with WX fancy plugs, others have had to spend upwards of 2k to get their plugs out because the WX plugs snapped themselves in 1/2(something about a manufacturing "issue")

adding 6Qs to the tranny would be near impossible to do wrong. though I have heard of morons going the other way and draining ATF instead of the oil and adding 6Qs on top of 6Qs.

I have 4V accel coils sitting on my work bench because I got a steal on them after I picked up my first set of 4V coils and decided to have 8 more back ups. My brother has a mach1 so having spares he can borrow is always good in my house. these don't require flipping the plug(which I'm explicitly against), but do require the 2 seconds of swapping boots.

2V coils have the same connector, but reverse polarity. They also have a bolt to tie them down........ they are an OK choice, but wiring issues in my ignition system and any additional resistance on the charge is not anything I'm eager to encourage.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So you don't have it secured?

Flip, you mentioned you have the Accel as well sitting around. How come you're not using that one? I was looking at the 2V Accel mentioned in another thread by BigAl. It looks like it would just need the OEM boots and the connector flipped.

So far from my reason, there isn't really a true good high end aftermarket replacement COP that would require not modification/enhance to replace the OEM COP. Is that a fair statement?

The WX Coils have a o-ring that presses into the hole with the coil. I've had them in since last November and they are still very snug.

Karl, what extra grounding did you do? I didn't see anything in the instructions for that.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The WX Coils have a o-ring that presses into the hole with the coil. I've had them in since last November and they are still very snug.

Karl, what extra grounding did you do? I didn't see anything in the instructions for that.
I would imagine the vibration and the changing of temperature around the engine might be enough to cause it to become loss, somehow! Just something I think that can happen.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There are a couple of pics in the 'review' section. I don't know if the instructions have a version date on them, but the copy I received definitely said to add proper/additional grounding.

I was going to-do so anyway. If you Google, you will find insufficient grounding is/was a common issue with some Fords and the Duratec. To the point that Ford even had service bulletins to their dealers. The cause that prompted that action was break-down of coolant, and then eventually cooling system components.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ACCEL-140034-8-Super-Coil-Kit/dp/B001O05S16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350833142&sr=8-1&keywords=4V+accel+coils[/ame]

Would those work ^??? I seem to have a semi ruff idle. When I swapped my plugs, I noticed my 2nd cylinder had oil sitting on the plug. Figured need to start looking into replacements.

This is getting expensive, 4 tires, some coils, suspension... Gonna be a long winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is there a thread on this sight with pictures of a coil change? I think I might have a coil going bad, but I need to wait on my cel to come on again so I can get it scanned. My car has been jumping at stops for a few days, and today it started ideling erratically when not in gear. I feel better after that, as I was worried it was a tranny problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found the leak. Is there a specific name for this vacuum hose? It looks split and collapsed. It is at the middle rear of the engine.

Im most likely overthinking this and just need to take the hose off and take it into autozone and they will cut me a piece?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
With reference to physical fit between: OEM, 2V and 4V COPs, is the bolt down tab?

OEM = bolt in with tab
2V = Raised bolt in, needs a spacer added under the tab plus longer bolt
4V = Push in, NO retainer bolt added.

Or is it only the WeaponX that push in?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I believe that is true, the 4V cobra coils require a bracket to be made to hold them down, just like the WX coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Reactions: Final Impact

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just went to Autozone and got a replacement one. It worked for about two years, but that was one of the front ones. I'd maybe stick with OEM's for the back, since they're a pain to get to. But if you can do the labor yourself, why not roll the dice with an autozone part? I think they were $25 when I got them two years ago. Otherwise, the OEMs' are over $100 a pop.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I found the leak. Is there a specific name for this vacuum hose? It looks split and collapsed. It is at the middle rear of the engine.

Im most likely overthinking this and just need to take the hose off and take it into autozone and they will cut me a piece?

PCV hose (I think, I just remember getting it replaced). I think the OEM was around $20. Or you can use heater hose, but the OEM hose is nicer, since it has the built in 90 degree turn and I think it comes with clamps.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The BIG DUMP:

I'm still looking for facts, i.e. trying to BOIL THIS CRAP DOWN.. .. ..

If using WeaponX or 4V choose a PN: NOT ending with "AD"
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 2M2E12A366AC, 2M2Z12029AC, AJ5118100, AJ5118100A, Other PN: UF406

============>> This seems to have some info, however not sure about the long term reliability of the WX cops.
WeaponX Part Numbers ICK6402, ICK6202, WXCFD4V-r#efx
ALL DOHC (dual overhead cam)
Replaces Motocraft PN DG-513, DG-500, DG-486, UF-406
Ford part number 1L8U-12A366-AA, 1L8E-12A366-AB
Visteon 60-1002

MAZDA
2002-2006 MPV 183cid 3.0l 6cyl
2003-2008 Mazda6 183cid 3.0l 6cyl
2001-2006 Tribute 183cid 3.0l 6cyl
============>> However there are NO GOOD pictures of the actual product so WTF? .... LAME!

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/technicalPDF/WeaponX Ignition Coil Interchange.pdf
Ignition Coils : WeaponX Performance Products LTD., High Performance Ignition Equipment

ICK8002 Level 1 Street Coil Kit Ford Modular V8 2V XCOP Street - Ford 2V Performance Replacement Ignition Coils
ICK8004 Level 1 Street Coil Kit Ford Modular V8 4V XCOP Street - Ford 4V Performance Replacement Ignition Coils

140034-8 - Ford Mod Motor - Super Coil - 4-Valve - 8-Pack, ACCEL yellow coil has no means of bolting down as best I can tell. ACCEL Super Coils 140034-8 - SummitRacing.com << Link has some good details.

NOW, what to do with all this! Likely go with Beck an Arnley as they come with a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty PN: 178-8365

21 - 40 of 48 Posts