Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Mazda 6 family, I removed the stock amp, made my own harness from the stock amp plug so I could keep using the factory speaker wire in the car. I’m running a kicker 46cxa360.4 4 channel amp and the stock tweeters are way to bright for my liking so I figured I would replace them since I already changed my front door mid speakers. I went ahead and picked up a pair of JBL GX608C component speakers and planned in moving my other after market(the ones I initially installed) jbl speakers to the rear doors. The new speakers come with a cross over and I did some research on how the stock tweeter was set up(inline) considering I’ve never installed component speakers in my life would I be able to run the input for the crossover from the mid door speaker and have the new tweeter work correctly (assuming I ran new speaker wire from the crossover to the stock tweeter location of course) or would it not play ball and resort to me running new wire from my amp. I have a feeling I’ll be fine running it off the main door speaker but I also have some doubt in my head. I also plan on adding sound deadening to the doors before installation. Please let me know if this won’t work, I’m installing Saturday and this is the only detail I’m worried about. 😬😬😬
Thank you!!!! 🙏

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
The Bose amp has all the cross overs built in, thats why youre having issues. If youre having issues wiring a simple component set, you need a lot more help. Go to YT and look up 5 Car Stereo and look through their vids, they can explain it.

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bose amp has all the cross overs built in, thats why youre having issues. If youre having issues wiring a simple component set, you need a lot more help. Go to YT and look up 5 Car Stereo and look through their vids, they can explain it.
There isn’t an output for the tweeters on the amp. There aren’t any wires in the harness that lead to the tweeters either... I’m sure there are digital crossover settings built into the amp but from the pin out of the harness and how the original amp was hooked up the physical crossover is built into the tweeter. I’ve done the research on how to hook up an amplifier. I just had one simple question about which plug I should use as the main to feed the jbl crossover signal. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Well, if youre using the factory wiring from the Kicker amp and theres only one pair going to the door, then you use that and run a new wire to the tweeter. There should be enough room to mount the crossover in the door and run wires to the mid and tweeter, using the factory wiring to feed the crossover. On my 6 the one time i pulled the panel to look at the audio bits, there was a wire for the tweeter, but i didnt trace to see where it went cause my plans were to take it all out anyway. Never did end up doing that and my 3 is wired way different.

·
Rally Racer
3,496 Posts
I suppose so. Didnt the sub amp have one built in?
I don't believe it did. I don't have a scope however to know for sure. I put a Harison FMOD 50Hz low pass inline and a Kicker adjustable LOC with remote start to get the level right.
It was too loud and muddy to the point of being unusable before.
I am surprised how hard that little 6"ish speaker hits. It's not like the 15"s I used to build in HS but I'm also not 18 anymore and have no desire to force feed my bass line on bystanders.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I don't believe it did. I don't have a scope however to know for sure. I put a Harison FMOD 50Hz low pass inline and a Kicker adjustable LOC with remote start to get the level right.
It was too loud and muddy to the point of being unusable before.
I am surprised how hard that little 6"ish speaker hits. It's not like the 15"s I used to build in HS but I'm also not 18 anymore and have no desire to force feed my bass line on bystanders.
Yea, i do miss the dedicate sub my 6 had. Gonna try and wire it in till i get my Kicker Solo Barics. Im gonna wire in the KQ5 EQ so the stock system gets EQ'd by splitting the front HU output to the EQ and then back to the amp input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts