Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 6 with the V6 in it. I love the car overall, but I am putting an insane amount of mileage on the car each year (35k - 40k). I am trying to look to the future (say a year or two from now) when the drivetrain gives up the ghost. Does anyone know cost/have any experience with replacing the engine? If the car is still relatively trouble free and good appearance wise, I would like to look at swapping the motor.

*What is the Mazda cost for a brand new 3.0 V6 that is in our cars? Approxiamate cost for labor?

*Does anyone know of any reputable manufacturers that do quality rebuilt motors -or- rebuild kits?

*I have heard urban legends about how the Japanese market is awash with good quality motors for sale with only 50k - 60k on them because of emissions standards. Is this too good to be true? Does anyone have experience with these motors?

*Most important question of all; do our engine's valvetrain freewheel, or are they set up for interference. That is, if I wanted to drive it until the timing belt/chain gave out, would the valves smash into the pistons?

*What mileage should I expect out of my car (I do about 70% freeway/30% city)?

Thanks all, and have a good holiday.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.buckshotmotorsports.com/3literhome.htm

The guy does great work on 3.0L Contour swaps.

*I have heard urban legends about how the Japanese market is awash with good quality motors for sale with only 50k - 60k on them because of emissions standards. Is this too good to be true? Does anyone have experience with these motors?[/b]
Well, you know that our V6 is an American-made Ford motor, right? It's not even available in Japan (or anywhere outside the US for that matter).

*Most important question of all; do our engine's valvetrain freewheel, or are they set up for interference. That is, if I wanted to drive it until the timing belt/chain gave out, would the valves smash into the pistons?[/b]
The V6 is an Interference motor.

*What mileage should I expect out of my car (I do about 70% freeway/30% city)?[/b]
Many 3.0L Duratec owners in other cars have gotten a good 150,000-200,000 miles out of it without any problems whatsoever. Some have gone even more, but you should easily get over 150,000 if you treat it right barring anything extremely bad and unforeseen.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
... and to add to the previous post...

The V6 is indeed available outside the US. You've forgotten your neighbours to the north.

... and we have a timing chain (not belt).

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The V6 is an Interference motor.
[/b]

Additionally, the chance of the chain breaking is nil. The thing should last 200K+ miles easily, so don't worry about it breaking.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Additionally, the chance of the chain breaking is nil. The thing should last 200K+ miles easily, so don't worry about it breaking.
[/b]
You would hear the chains rattling/vibrating long before they actually stretched or lost timing. Hell I've known GM V6s with nylon/plastic gears that lasted a long time with a rattling chain.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i dissagree!! lol anyone who has followed my posts i have now 28k on my car and its getting its 3rd total 3.0L V6 thats getting put in it by mazda, hopefully this fully brand new crate engine will prove to be better than the first 2!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i dissagree!! lol anyone who has followed my posts i have now 28k on my car and its getting its 3rd total 3.0L V6 thats getting put in it by mazda, hopefully this fully brand new crate engine will prove to be better than the first 2!
[/b]
wtf are you doing with your car?

·
Registered
405 Posts
[/b]
3rd engine?!?!?!?! i havent followed your posts cuz im new here but damn... aint there a lemon law for that where u live? 3 engines, thats craZy

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
3rd engine?!?!?!?! i havent followed your posts cuz im new here but damn... aint there a lemon law for that where u live? 3 engines, thats craZy
[/b]
First time was a failed cat, the rest lie within the dealer doing a bad job, of course him doing his "sick burnouts" can't help too much either.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
...of course him doing his "sick burnouts" can't help too much either.
[/b]
hahahah really those hurt your engine?!?!?!? :laugh:

·
Registered
456 Posts
well the first problem was the cat failure, then the engine went, bearings blew apart, then it was all 4 cats, and now its the same bearings that blew apart, and to be honest, i have been taking care of this engine because i didnt want to blow it up, i have beatten the hell out of some engines before and never experienced anything like this, i dont understand how a 4.6L with 130k can take the abuse that i laied on it and this new engine cant and i cut back on drivin crazy, but again this goes back to the dealer, i had an oil change before each engine that blew, done by them, before this last oil change i was putting in oil every other week a whole quart because it was constantly getting low, i dunno, maybe its me, but if it was then my tbird should have blown apart because i beat the ever living hell outta her and the engine was in tip top shape

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Try a different dealer to get the engine installed... sounds like the do shite work. And this one case can't exactly dictate the reliability of ALL 6s's out there. Chubster had something like 84K on his car before it was totalled and I don't recall him having any major problems.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
well the first problem was the cat failure, then the engine went, bearings blew apart, then it was all 4 cats, and now its the same bearings that blew apart, and to be honest, i have been taking care of this engine because i didnt want to blow it up, i have beatten the hell out of some engines before and never experienced anything like this, i dont understand how a 4.6L with 130k can take the abuse that i laied on it and this new engine cant and i cut back on drivin crazy, but again this goes back to the dealer, i had an oil change before each engine that blew, done by them, before this last oil change i was putting in oil every other week a whole quart because it was constantly getting low, i dunno, maybe its me, but if it was then my tbird should have blown apart because i beat the ever living hell outta her and the engine was in tip top shape
[/b]

same shit i went thru..... this car isn't meant for SPEED. i've realized it and am saddened!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
same shit i went thru..... this car isn't meant for SPEED. i've realized it and am saddened!
[/b]
cheer up, don't be saddened. :)

lots of people are jumping on the cp-e intake and headers would should produce a beast. but yeah, if you want crazy insane fast get a boxer turbo engine with awd cause fwd aint good for crazy speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone found any info on the difference/longevity etc, between the 3.0 in the mazda6 and the ford fusion? I have not heard any of the low mileage engine failures in the fusions that appear to be occurring on a regular basis with the mazda6.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
ira
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing