Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I have no idea where I should be looking, which I think is likely. I couldn't find this subject for the Gen 3.

I realize that tires, like shoes, can be subjective. I have a 2016 Touring with several CorkSport upgrades. Strut Tower Brace, Rear Sway Bar, Intake with the cold air box, and the Corksport exhaust.

Suffice to say, this is a very lively Gen 3. I am sure that as time goes on, I will find some more power..........

That said, the car feels pretty well balanced and is just fun to drive, but most of you know the complaints about the OEM Dunlops. They are a bit err..........rumbly and they don't wear well and while they do have some grip, the car can absolutely handle more.

I am looking for a little more grip, a smoother ride (it doesn't have to be a Town Car, just a little smoother and quieter) and the ability to last more than 30,000 miles. I think that I am around 19,400 miles and expect maybe.........maybe another 7 to 10k max out of them. I live in Florida so, rainy season is about 90 or so days away, so I am leaning towards making a move by the end of may. Obviously, snow performance is irrelevant, but good rain traction would be helpful.

I am not looking for Walmart specials, but not married to any name brand. I will pay for quality, but my budget is not unlimited.

Like I said when I opened, I realize that this can be pretty subjective, I am looking for some opinions and maybe some experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Gregg

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm a big fan of Conti's ExtremeContact DWS 06's for an all-season tire. Ran two sets of these on my 6 over the years.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Here's the link to the 225/45-19 offerings on Tire Rack...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=&width=225/&ratio=45&diameter=19&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

There are not a huge selection of tires in this size, but there are some good ones. Read up on ratings, tests, and reviews...its a great source of info.

Personally...Conti DWS is a solid choice, Michelin's Pilot A/S 3+ is top of the line - if you have the cash, and the BF Goodrich has been getting great reviews and is priced right. These are all All-Season High Performance tires. There are some summer tires listed too, but I'm not familiar with them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bobmugen,
I am really looking for value, so I don't want budget specials, but the price range is not unlimited. I am thinking around a grand or so installed. For a great tire, I might spend a few bucks more..., maybe 1300ish. I wouldn't mind 800 installed either if it is a good tire. As I said, I live in Florida. Snow is a NON-issue. We do have a rainy season, so good rain traction is important. Pure grip is not the only goal. I want them to last a reasonable amount of time....., and I think, like many folks that the OEM tire isn't great for ride quality and can definitely be improved on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuckie,

I have looked closely at those. What kind of mileage life have you gotten? Would you consider yourself an enthusiastic driver or more conservative?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JCME0557,

I have looked at Tire Rack and several other sites too. I like what I have read about both the Contis and the Michelins .

A friend suggested that I look at those bf Goodrichs as well. I will look more closely.

What I have hoped in posting this is to get feedback from folks with the same car rather than just the general public.

A tire that works well on an Altima, may feel awful on an Optima. I am hoping for some real world experience with the Gen 3 6.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S on my wife's 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe. Simply an outstanding tire in the dry and monsoons of south east Texas!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Funny, I was about to start a thread like this. I have four choices:

Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (W or Y); Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06; Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus; or BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.
You're looking at about a total of a grand for the Mich, 800 for the BFG or Pirelli, or 750 for the Contis, mounted and balanced, at Discount Tire.

At this point I'm trending to the Pirellis or Contis. I like the BFG, CR says they're kind of noisy. They do well in the snow, for what they are.

I should take delivery of my Maz6 today. But tire tests are generally transferrable car to car, they're not that different. TR unfortunately does most of their tests on BMWs but I trust their results. The only other outfit I know of that tests tires as extensively is Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've purchased virtually all my tires over the last 20 years from Tire Rack, but recently I fitted a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ from Costco at $863 all in. That's tires, mount & balance, disposal, and 5.5% Wisconsin tax. Don't have enough miles on them yet to really evaluate, but how could they not be 10 times better than the POS Dunlop's that Mazda provides?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny, I was about to start a thread like this. I have four choices:

Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ (W or Y); Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06; Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus; or BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S.
You're looking at about a total of a grand for the Mich, 800 for the BFG or Pirelli, or 750 for the Contis, mounted and balanced, at Discount Tire.

At this point I'm trending to the Pirellis or Contis. I like the BFG, CR says they're kind of noisy. They do well in the snow, for what they are.

I should take delivery of my Maz6 today. But tire tests are generally transferrable car to car, they're not that different. TR unfortunately does most of their tests on BMWs but I trust their results. The only other outfit I know of that tests tires as extensively is Consumer Reports.

Let me know your decision. I am trying to eek out about another 30 days or so from my purchase. Those are all tires that I am considering.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2014 Sport came with Yokohama Advan 803 tires and I think they're great. Good grip, performance in the wet is excellent. I only have 12,500 miles so they are not even close to needing replacement, but I wouldn't mind getting these again when the time comes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I narrowed down to two summer tires of choice. Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Continental ExtremeContact DW. I have a dedicated Winters - the Michelin X-ICE i3. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Funny, I have about 600 on the OE and don't see any of the annoying traits. They're quiet, smooth, they don't squiggle when the pavement does. Mazda guy at another site I frequent says he has no problem with the EO, went through a Buffalo winter when the tires had 20,000 on them and he did fine.

If you read the TR customer reviews, you will get across the scale reports from all the tires I named above. Great! Suck! Loud! Quiet! Like a duck to water! Slide off the road in the morning dew!

Unfortunately TR has not tested these tires. Also there's a particular Mazda6 OE tread pattern mentioned, whatever difference that may make. Anyone want to spend a couple of grand to test them?:surprise:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am looking for a little more grip, a smoother ride (it doesn't have to be a Town Car, just a little smoother and quieter) and the ability to last more than 30,000 miles. I think that I am around 19,400 miles and expect maybe.........maybe another 7 to 10k max out of them. I live in Florida so, rainy season is about 90 or so days away, so I am leaning towards making a move by the end of may. Obviously, snow performance is irrelevant, but good rain traction would be helpful.
I replaced my 2014 Touring's OEM Dunlops with Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S tires in the original OEM size. So far, they've been great. Good grip, a bit quieter than the Dunlops, and they seem like they're going to last significantly longer (I replaced the Dunlops at around 25,000 miles; I'm up to 50K now, and I expect another 10-15K out of the Yokohamas). They're also good in the rain in my experience.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S&partnum=245YR9ADSASXL

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2012 iSport came with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and I replaced them with the same around 38k miles (mostly because I got a flat and had to replace 1 tire so I got all 4) and then another 45k-ish I switched to Michelin Premier A/S. Both of these are Grand Touring All-Season tires. I've been happy with the performance and longevity with both. The first set I replaced they put on Michelin Defender tires first and I immediately noticed a difference and had to return them and get the MXV4s. The Michelin Premier A/S I feel have a better wet traction but overall they are very comparable to the MXV4 tires and they are supposed to not lose grip as they wear. So far so good. I have about 18k on them now. Both of these tires can be had for under $800 at least for me in my small 16" steelies!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I managed to make it until yesterday with the OEM tires. After lots of deliberation, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S.

I have only driven about 25 miles on them so far but the first impression is very good.

Much quieter than the Dunlops were new.

The ride is a bit smoother and turn-in is crisper.

One 8 mile blast down on of my favorite back roads revealed that the limits of adhesion are much higher. I didn't even come close to them.

Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate the opinions. Truthfully, I can't understand why Mazda puts those awful tires on the 6 except for cost savings. I would think that they would sell more 6s if they spent a few bucks more on a better oem tire.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Truthfully, I can't understand why Mazda puts those awful tires on the 6 except for cost savings. I would think that they would sell more 6s if they spent a few bucks more on a better oem tire.
I too went with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ at $863 all in from Costco. The Dunlop 5000's are NO BARGAIN, at least in the retail market. They are considerably more expensive than just about any tire listed for our cars on Tire Rack. Maybe Mazda has some sweetheart deal with Dunlop that others wouldn't match, but that still is no excuse for putting such crap on an otherwise great car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too went with the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ at $863 all in from Costco. The Dunlop 5000's are NO BARGAIN, at least in the retail market. They are considerably more expensive than just about any tire listed for our cars on Tire Rack. Maybe Mazda has some sweetheart deal with Dunlop that others wouldn't match, but that still is no excuse for putting such crap on an otherwise great car.

Yeah, the pricing on the Dunlops ridiculous. I can only imagine that they cost Mazda very little. All of the press that loves the car talk about the tire noise and it only gets worse with wear.

That is a great deal at Costco. I paid about 45 bucks more with 2 years road hazard from my local dealer. I had to price match the tires from a competitor, and then they beat the hell out of them on install and road hazard.

It probably didn't hurt that I had several relatively small warranty items done at the same time.

Even with the tire pressure too high ( the installer set them at 40 psi) they rode better, had more grip and were MUCH quieter than the car has ever been while cruising. It took me a few days before I had the car sitting long enough AND remembered to check the pressure....., but now all four are set at 35 psi.

:grin2::grin2:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
28 Participants
bdc101
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing