Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2003 Mazda 6 3.0 V6 with 123K miles on it.

I have purchased it from a Private Party in the last week.

After driving few miles, the Check Engine Light turned on. The code is p0431.

I took it to the Pepboys Auto, and after performing the diagnosis he told me that there is an issue with the catalytc converter on the Fron Left side of the Vehicle. He told me that I will have to replace it. The entire assembly would cost me around $850 + Labor which comes to be around $1k.

Is there a way where in I can get the work done without spending much. How about the after market Catalytic Conveters?

Is this issue a major one?? Will it affect the performance of the vehicle or damage the engine?

The earlier owner had done the NYS state Inspection in May 2010, so I still have around 10 Months before the next inspection is due. So can I postpone the work till the inspection?

This is my first vehicle and i dont have much knowledge about the Automobiles, hence seeking an advice before I take my car to the Mechanic, just to avoid being overcharged.

Help me guys...

- Anup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check RockAuto Auto Parts for an aftermarket cat from Eastern Catalytic. They are about $400 plus shipping. Converters can also be found on Ebay with a bit of searching.

·
Registered
28 Posts
anupk, i'm in the exact same situation as you right now
i also got my 03 V6 a week ago, and the same code is coming up.

but from what i have heard, before you try to change the cat converter, you might want to try to change the o2 sensors first. unless you experience your car being really loud, or hesitates on acceleration, your cat might be fine. i could be wrong.

However, i have yet to change my o2 sensor to see if this really works or not. if you do find a solution, let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts