Mazda 6 Forums banner

Replacement Bose speakers for my 2005 Mazda 6

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CrazyEye 
#1 ·
Hello Iam a new Mazda 6 owner and wanted to upgrade my speaker system but still use Bose. Does anyone have any insight on what to get and look for? TIA

#2 ·
What do you mean still use Bose?

#4 ·
Bose speakers use a proprietary amplifier that also equalizes the sound going to the speakers. If you want to upgrade your speakers it is usual practice to also replace the Bose amp with an aftermarket amplifier to drive the new speakers. This way the new speakers will actually sound good.

#5 ·
@Ryan1626
The Bose speakers are 2Ω and the sub-woofer is 0.5Ω This should give you an idea of what to look for.
It has been said that generally Bose uses relatively poor speakers and influences the sound with a lot of modification at the upstream end. This may adversely change the sound output if you install a high quality speaker in their place. This is all hearsay, as I have no personal experience with (other than the Bose self-powered sub I connected to my non-Bose system) testing audio outputs on this system.
Besides, I'm old and only listen to talk radio, except when I don't. 🤓

#7 ·
I've always thought the Bose system on my 04 S wagon sounded pretty good, at least better than most for the same age, You want to hear bad sound, check out the sound in an 2012 Odyssey EX-L. The radio sounds like it's through a soup can string telephone. My wife drove my wagon last week and was raving about the Bose system. That said, I'm in Doc's generation. When I'm not listening to the Eagles, it's AM talk radio. :D

#8 ·
You can replace your Amp with a five channel Amp that way you can have a channel for front and rear and one that’s just for the Subwoofer oh let me add Crutchfield supplies the pig tales to use non Bose speakers and adapters to fit the doors.

Our 2017.5 has a non Bose stereo well I’m amazed on how good the speakers sound now I’m afraid to change out the speakers when the time comes because I’m thinking that maybe the factory speakers are made just to sound good with the head unit I’m so confused. 😂 lol

#9 · (Edited)
Just some info I could provide.
Front door speakers are 6.5 inch in 6x8 bracket, component style speakers in the front would be good if you plan on replacing the tweeters as well.
The rear door speakers are 5 1/4th inch in a 6x8 bracket. I went and replaced the bracket with a 6x8 and I’m happy.What brand of speakers do I recommend, I can’t recommend a brand its all about what sounds good to you. Go to a Best Buy or audio shop that has speakers on display and listen to them one at a time, then decide on what sounds good to you. I like the Kicker KS line and JBL GX line. As far as the sub, I never had one. The last owner removed it and had subs in the back of the trunk, so I just threw an amp in the back with two twelves.

The speaker harnesses I hear are wired in reverse polarity by metra and there are guides on how to swap it back to positive polarity however when i did it and tested the speakers with a polarity checker everything was reading negative polarity SO the harnesses could actually be wired correctly but its just something to consider.

Replacing the factory amp would be a good idea if you want a clean sound, I didn’t replace my amp until just recently and when I was using it with a pair of quality speakers I noticed the high end of the music would be crushed and sound fuzzy. Put in a 4 channel and it sounds clear and clean now. You could make a harness if you remove the plug from the stock amp and solder wires to the pins. Line out would be a great way to cut down on wires going to the amp but no one had any for sale locally in Vegas so I used RCA because I’m impatient. I ran the RCA down the center console and out to passenger side to amp input.

I hope this info serves you well and good luck my friend.

Reactions: DrFeelGood
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.