Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since not shifting as much is not an option, I'm open to suggestions on ways to keep the metal cap on the top of the shifter from fading again. On the flip side, since it was replaced under warranty, and my dealer gives me a good free car wash with each service, maybe I should go through one every month or so.....seriously though, I thought about getting some clear coat model paint and lightly painting the top, figure that would act as a good barrier....any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reading Topic: Replaced Shifter Knob

Don't shift, just leave it in neutral, sit behind the wheel in your driveway with the engine off and hum "Zoom, zoom, zoom..."

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Stick to first gear, just smile and wave when people start honking their horns. Always park on a hill so you can just push it off, won't have to shift that way.

Ok, now the serious side....just get a quality aftermarket shifter, carbon fiber shifters are sweet, had one that lasted without a single spot for over 3yrs, just had to wipe the dirt off occasionally. Lets face it, Mazda had to take a few shortcuts to get the price to stay below $30k.

·
Registered
526 Posts

If this is a chronic problem, I can't imagine Mazda will let it stand. Perhaps you got a bad one. You'll never know until you use it and see if it does it again. I'd just use it to see what's what.

The other thought I have is that perhaps the oils in your skin have something to do with it. Long shot to be sure, but from playing guitar, I know that some people's skin oils can be quite corrosive. Not all those 'well-used' guitars are because people locked themselves in a room for 20 years playing the same instrument.

No offense to diesel what so ever, but the metal plate on top of the shifter is hardly a place for cost-cutting measures on a ~$25,000k car. The difference between stamped steel and something like carbon fiber likely wouldn't surpass anything close to $20 per unit when produced in large quantities.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

basically, the metallic cap on the top of the shifter started fading, the paint? I guess began to wear down through to the beige plastic, really weird, guess I'll just drive normally and see what happens to the new one, white6s had the same problem, not sure if I'm unlucky or this is just a 1st year hickup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

If it happens again at least there are some real cool aftermarket shift knobs out there that you can swap it out for. At least you got choices when it come to this little part. That clear coat paint idea could work well too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Reufus, I was just kidding with the $30k note. I'm quite sure if Mazda engineers had deemed the car a better car when installed with a carbon fiber shift knob they would have done so.

On the other hand, you would probably be surprised at how many very small seemingly inexpensive shortcuts car makers do take. For example have you noticed only the driver's side window has auto down? And no auto up? I'm sure the chip that does this would cost less than $2 when mass ordered. The sunglass holder....Mazda obviously chose the $5 version instead of the $10. Etc, etc, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Mazda did in fact choose a 'cheaper' alternative for the shifter knob.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Replaced Shifter Knob'

Originally posted by Brillo

basically, the metallic cap on the top of the shifter started fading, the paint? I guess began to wear down through to the beige plastic, really weird, guess I'll just drive normally and see what happens to the new one, white6s had the same problem, not sure if I'm unlucky or this is just a 1st year hickup[/b]
my shift knob is pretty bad. the bottom half is fading and it's looking half white and silver. i'll take a pic tonight.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by Altersys

have you thought about clearcoating it?

-Alt[/b]
That was my first thought, I'm not sure though how clearcoat paint might react to the sweat in my hands though, I could end up with the same problem....anyone have any experience with something like this?

·
Registered
231 Posts

Probably just a handfull of bad parts. I wouldn't sweat it too much its only a shift knob. I'd get it replaced every service.

·
Registered
468 Posts

Originally posted by AliAL

A picture is worth a thousand words.[/b]
here's pics

edit: pic won't load

·
Registered
119 Posts

Originally posted by diesel5599

On the other hand, you would probably be surprised at how many very small seemingly inexpensive shortcuts car makers do take. For example have you noticed only the driver's side window has auto down? And no auto up? I'm sure the chip that does this would cost less than $2 when mass ordered. The sunglass holder....Mazda obviously chose the $5 version instead of the $10. Etc, etc, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Mazda did in fact choose a 'cheaper' alternative for the shifter knob.[/b]
Exactly diesel This accounts for minor and yet irritating differences between world markets for the 6.
Here in Aust. it is so price sensitive we were denied important but relatively inexpensive things like reach adjustibility on steering wheel & anti theft code on audio set up, just 2 things u would expect to be in all M6's

i know govt design rules vary country to country but come on mazda.... I also wish we could at least have access to good gear like a V6 & satnav even if we gotta pay.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Replaced Shifter Knob'

i put my money on an after market one, you should be able to find one that you think is more cumfortable than the stock one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts