Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I'm having my engine replace in my '05 6 by the dealer. The guy just called me and said the mechanic said my clutch wasn't long for this world (I have 62K miles on it). Not sure what that means but I guess at some point my clutch will go. Parts for replacing it are $490. There's no labor because the engine is already apart and I guess it would just be tacked on to putting in a new engine. He said if I hold off and it fails somewhere down the road I will be looking at about $2K. I guess it's a matter of how lon I keep the car but if I keep the car say two more years should I okay the replacement now or roll the dice and hope it doesn't go bad before I get rid of the car?

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
8,396 Posts
If it's all apart, get it done.

The clutches on the 6 tend to live on the shorter side, so I'd play it safe and pay 1/4 the price now, when you have the opportunity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Jan 21 2010, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1631289
If it's all apart, get it done.

The clutches on the 6 tend to live on the shorter side, so I'd play it safe and pay 1/4 the price now, when you have the opportunity.[/b]

Yeah, apparently the guy at the dealer said it's 3/4 of the way gone so that's why called. The engine is already out and they have access to those parts. He said to the best of his knowledge there shouldn't be any other costs beyond the cost of the parts. It's starting to sound more and more like it will go bad at some point in the not too distant future so better to save myself $1500 and play it safe. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are keeping the car than definitely do it. Call the guy and ask if he will put the clutch that you bring in ..that way you can get stage 1 or 2 for under $400

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
drogos
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing