Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

After over a year of very little driving, I went to change the oil today to find evidence of furry inhabitants under my hood, specifically my “engine appearance cover.” I lifted off the cover to find disintegrated white fluff everywhere, with the attached pad in fairly poor condition. I also noticed what appears to be some sort of torn up heat shield blanket along the back edge of the motor near the exhaust manifold. I am wondering what I can do to repair these areas.

1. Is it possible to buy just a new pad for the underside of the engine cover? Is this material just to muffle noise, or does it have heat shielding properties as well? Is it safe (both for the car and my health) to remove what’s left of the pad and reattach? It would be helpful to know what it is made from.

2. Is it possible to replace the torn and ragged fabric along the exhaust manifold? Is this necessary, or should I just cut it back for a neater appearance? Again, does anyone know what this stuff is made from?

Thankfully all the wiring I can see looks to be in good condition, so maybe I lucked out for now. I will be on guard for more visitors next winter.
Thank You!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hello,

After over a year of very little driving, I went to change the oil today to find evidence of furry inhabitants under my hood, specifically my “engine appearance cover.” I lifted off the cover to find disintegrated white fluff everywhere, with the attached pad in fairly poor condition. I also noticed what appears to be some sort of torn up heat shield blanket along the back edge of the motor near the exhaust manifold. I am wondering what I can do to repair these areas.

1. Is it possible to buy just a new pad for the underside of the engine cover? Is this material just to muffle noise, or does it have heat shielding properties as well? Is it safe (both for the car and my health) to remove what’s left of the pad and reattach? It would be helpful to know what it is made from.

2. Is it possible to replace the torn and ragged fabric along the exhaust manifold? Is this necessary, or should I just cut it back for a neater appearance? Again, does anyone know what this stuff is made from?

Thankfully all the wiring I can see looks to be in good condition, so maybe I lucked out for now. I will be on guard for more visitors next winter.
Thank You! View attachment 243076 View attachment 243077 View attachment 243078
The little b*ggers chewed up some of the smooth vinyl wiring covers of wiring leading to the ignition coils. I removed the decorative engine cover, run without it, and when not driving the car a lot suspend baby food jars with (new!) urinal puck pieces in them. Seems to control matters for now ..

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
That "small" ripped off part is annoying to look at, at least for me. I don't know how much it will cost to buy a new one.

As suggested above, you can put something to cover it. You can then try Pentel pen with a color that matches closely to that part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The little b*ggers chewed up some of the smooth vinyl wiring covers of wiring leading to the ignition coils. I removed the decorative engine cover, run without it, and when not driving the car a lot suspend baby food jars with (new!) urinal puck pieces in them. Seems to control matters for now ..
Sorry about your wires, so far I think all of mine are ok thankfully. I’ll keep the cover off for now. Good to know about the urinal puck trick! Will be sure to keep that in mind if I am not driving for a while and it is cold out. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That "small" ripped off part is annoying to look at, at least for me. I don't know how much it will cost to buy a new one.

As suggested above, you can put something to cover it. You can then try Pentel pen with a color that matches closely to that part.
Yes I’m pretty annoyed that everything went from looking so nice to looking like a mess. Will give patching a try and I’ll give it shot at camouflaging the repair, thanks!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sorry about your wires, so far I think all of mine are ok thankfully. I’ll keep the cover off for now. Good to know about the urinal puck trick! Will be sure to keep that in mind if I am not driving for a while and it is cold out. Thank you.
I'm told oil of peppermint is also effective. There are two different products or types of product that are billed as oil of peppermint; one cheaper, one more expensive. You might want to research which to use for most effect... also, exactly how to use it effectively. Honda also markets some very expensive electrical tape imbued with cayenne pepper...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts