Mazda 6 Forums banner

Removing Window Tint In the Easiest Way Possible!

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Mz6GreyGhost 
#1 ·
So this is not my normal type of post or video seeing as it is more of a tutorial, but I feel like this could prove useful to anyone who gets a tint fix it ticket or just may be curious on how to remove tint. Hope you enjoy this different style video :)

Youtube: ABC Garage

Upload Schedule: Monday & Friday at 8AM PST

Instagram: abc_garage19

#12 ·
The taller one, lol

#4 ·
On this side of the world where I am living, you can have a super duper dark tint all around, including windshield, and then install a very bright headlight that can blind the oncoming vehicles because you can't see very well at night time.

That ticket makes sense if this is the case.

#5 ·
We, in this hemisphere, certainly wish for that. Here, it goes state by state, even town by town regarding tint regulations. Here in Illinois we can do 35% if we do all the windows and darker if we don't do the front windows. Cryptic? You bet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You can indeed get a ticket for "tint too dark" in the US. In most cases they're "fix it" tickets; no fine IF you fix it and prove you did before the appearance date.

What's "too dark" varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and there is no reciprocal recognition between states either (which is blatantly unconstitutional in that once you cross a state line that's inherently an interstate, and thus federal jurisdictional, matter -- which is why your driver license in Florida is good in Wisconsin) but it is what it is. What's worse is that in most jurisdictions enforcement is completely arbitrary.

Florida requires 28% transmission in the front door windows, 15% rear (side and back window.)

Both Georgia and Alabama require 32%, so a Florida-legal car CAN get ticketed in those two states -- and guess what states border Florida?

Oh, and Minnesota, New York, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania have especially NASTY requirements (50 to 70% transmission!) so virtually ANY dark-appearing tint will get you pulled over and ticketed in those states.

#7 ·
You can indeed get a ticket for "tint too dark" in the US. In most cases they're "fix it" tickets; no fine IF you fix it and prove you did before the appearance date.

What's "too dark" varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, and there is no reciprocal recognition between states either (which is blatantly unconstitutional in that once you cross a state line that's inherently an interstate, and thus federal jurisdictional, matter -- which is why your driver license in Florida is good in Wisconsin) but it is what it is. What's worse is that in most jurisdictions enforcement is completely arbitrary.

Florida requires 28% transmission in the front door windows, 15% rear (side and back window.)

Both Georgia and Alabama require 32%, so a Florida-legal car CAN get ticketed in those two states -- and guess what states border Florida?

Oh, and Minnesota, New York, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania have especially NASTY requirements (50 to 70% transmission!) so virtually ANY dark-appearing tint will get you pulled over and ticketed in those states.
This is crazy! I mean, why have different rules across the country? I understand about speed limits as you can easily adjust your speed but tints? How are you suppose to adjust the darkness as you move from one state to another?

I only stayed for a few days in Jacksonville so I don't know any better.

Well, rules are rules...

#10 ·
What I think is quite interesting is that I own an '02 Suburban that has factory blacked out rear windows which I'm quite certain do not meet a 70% transmission requirement. If I ever got stopped in the "nasty" states in that vehicle I'd fight that one; I didn't install anything!

And yes, if you have FL plates then the Florida rules should apply to that vehicle. Indeed, full faith and credit (Article IV Section 1) demands exactly that. That is why if you commit a crime in one state and then flee to another the second state is obligated (on presentment of a Governor's Warrant) to extradite you back to the original state to face charges.

But we don't live in a nation where the Constitution has value beyond toilet paper as soon as it's inconvenient for a given state or local cop that wants to write tickets or arrest you.

#13 ·
What I think is quite interesting is that I own an '02 Suburban that has factory blacked out rear windows which I'm quite certain do not meet a 70% transmission requirement. If I ever got stopped in the "nasty" states in that vehicle I'd fight that one; I didn't install anything!
Speaking for NY, trucks and SUVs have a different set of rules for tint, which basically allows for dark tint on the rear seat and cargo area windows, as long as you have rear view mirrors on both sides of the vehicle. For passenger cars, it's illegal to have ANY side window with less than 70%...

To me, that's total horseshit! IMO you should have ONE set of rules, no matter what type of vehicle you are driving. If NY wants to restrict tinting, then make it mandatory with EVERYTHING, not just sedans. Don't punish me because I decide to drive a car instead of a lemming-filled SUV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.