Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to wash my car in a while and it's been 6 months since I last waxed it. I have some free time today so I went out to give it a good cleaning. However, I discovered a ton, and I mean a ton of small tar spots everywhere. I've been out there with the clay bar for over an hour now and i'm only half way done the hood. Even the windshield has a ton of these spots. I'm killing my arms trying to get these things off, is there any product or easier way to get this crap off without my arms falling off???

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Might want to try a product called Bug and Tar Remover, Its at all the local auto shops and even big stores like walmart. Let that soak in and it should be alot easier.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might want to try a product called Bug and Tar Remover, Its at all the local auto shops and even big stores like walmart. Let that soak in and it should be alot easier.
[/b]
i tried some of that too but it didn't really help. it could be old and maybe that matters? i didn't try letting it lay on there for a while.

what about a degreaser such as simple green?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Have you tried some WD-40 on a soft cotton cloth, and rubbed into the tar? That will sometimes loosen the tar enough to make it easier to remove.

But:

As a last - and I mean VERY LAST - resort, you could always try some mineral spirits. A small amount on a cotton cloth rubbed into the tar spots will help to soften and remove them. But if you use this method, IMMEDIATELY wash with the area with Dawn detergent and re-wax. You need to neutralize the mineral spirits as soon as you are done and get new protection on the paint.

Once again - this is a method of last resort when absoultely everything else fails.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think i know where these damn tar spots came from... i work in center city philly and they've been cleaning the outside of a few buildings within 50 feet of my car. there are fences in between but they've been up on some scaffolding pressure washing a really old building. i noticed another car that always is parked next to mine has the spots as well. i think these had to have come from the building because they are all over my car. mostly in the front but there are even spots on the trunk lid. it just wouldn't make sense for those spots to be on the car trunk if they came from normal driving.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i bought my car from a dealer where the road in front had just been repaved and for whatever reason there was a lot of tar on my car. i used goo-gone on a soft microfiber cloth to get them off. had to put quite a bit of the liquid in the towel and gently rubbed the spot off. go slow and don't rub too hard: like rubbing your temples if you have a bad headache or maybe a little lighter. the chemical will soften up the tar and it will come off in no time.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've used some stuff (i think called Tar Remover) made by 3M before, works good, a little more toxic than the other stuff but stronger as well.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
why not try clay bar??? they remove any dirts on ur paint surface... or any contaminants, or paint defect??

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Seafoam Bug-B-Gon is great for any stubborn stuff adhered to the car. It's amazing on bug residue, but also works on tar.

·
Registered
216 Posts
hair dryer, some WD40, and lots of rubbing with a terri cloth towel. I heard of goo gone working on removing tar but also paint....

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ughhhh, this sucks. i've tried WD-40, kerosene, bug and tar remover all don't do ANYTHING. the clay bar works but it takes forever. to do a 2x2" area it takes a solid 2 mins of HARD scrubbing. and these spots aren't just on the front bumper and hood but ALL OVER the car. the bumper, hood, roof, windshield, trunk, windows, pillars, moonroof, and limited on the sides. this shit sucks. i don't know what else to do. it's gonna take days to get this stuff off and i really don't wanna spend my whole weekend cleaning this. i fear that because it's so hard for me that taking it to a detailer shop would cost an arm and a leg and i'm not convinced that they would do the greatest job either.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've never seen tar spots on the roof - is it something else, maybe sap?

Make sure you apply the tar remover liberally, wipe gently, rinse the cloth, and repeat a bunch of times. As you take off the top layer of tar, you need to reapply it to get the next. Otherwise after the first layer comes off, nothing has softened up the second layer. You're just scratching at it, as if you applied nothing.

PS - if you did any hard scrubbing, you may need to take it to a detailer anyway to undo any scratches that got put in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never seen tar spots on the roof - is it something else, maybe sap?

Make sure you apply the tar remover liberally, wipe gently, rinse the cloth, and repeat a bunch of times. As you take off the top layer of tar, you need to reapply it to get the next. Otherwise after the first layer comes off, nothing has softened up the second layer. You're just scratching at it, as if you applied nothing.

PS - if you did any hard scrubbing, you may need to take it to a detailer anyway to undo any scratches that got put in.
[/b]
as i referred to in a post above i think it's from a tar blasting of a building nearby and the overspray found its way onto my car. tar spots all over just wouldn't make sense like that if it was from the street. i looked at another person's car who i work with and she has the same problem. this stuff sucks, i don't know how i'm going to get it off. if you rub your fingers over the surface you can feel the bump. even with water and trying to scrape away at them with your fingernail isn't enough. the clay bar works but it takes a ridiculous amount of time and pressure to do such a small area. they are tiny spots of black all over the car about the size of a pin head. it's a nightmare trying to get these things off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
smashclash
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing