Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've checked the first couple pages and couldn't find info about this. How do i remove my speakers? Does the grill pop off or do i have to disassemble the door? Some instructions would help me out a ton.

thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the door is easy to come off. its like 3 screws.

its all easy after that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
altogether an easy install. speakers are the cheapest way to improve your audio system.

another resource for the M6 is mazda6tech, here's a good write up on speakers. http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about716.html

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've checked the first couple pages and couldn't find info about this. How do i remove my speakers? Does the grill pop off or do i have to disassemble the door? Some instructions would help me out a ton.

thanks
[/b]
If you've never removed door panels before it can be a little tricky. The door panel is held on with screws and white plastic barbed clips around the perimeter of the panel. All the clips are hidden, sitting in raised slots on the backside of the panel.

You have to find the screws first, and they do vary depending on the model year. My '06 MS6 has 3 in the two rear doors, 4 in the front passenger door, and 3 in the driver's door. The common one is the one in the door latch release handle. You'll see a round cover that is pried open. It's hinged so won't fall out completely. The others will vary. On my MS6 there are two underneath the door pull on the two rear door and front passenger door. There is also a screw down in the courtesy light at the rear corners of the two front doors.

After removing the scews you then have to pull firmly on the door panel to release the clips around the edge. For the rear doors I found it easiest to put my hand inside the door latch release handle opening and push out from the inside, rather than pulling on an edge.

You'll have to pull hard enough to feel like something may break. This is normal and nothing critical will break, if you've removed all the screws. Some of the clips may stay lodged inside the door skin; take a look at the inside of the door panel you just took off and identify missing clips, then find the clip where it's still stuck in the door. Pry these out with a thin flat blade screwdriver. A lot of times chunks will break off these clips where they slide into the door panel. Sometimes they can be reused, but watch out for ones that are permanently bent or missing enough material so that they fit in loosely into the door panel. These loose ones will result in rattles when you turn the stereo up loud.

The base of the clips can be bent down a bit to make them fit tighter, if there is still enough material left. If not, they'll need to be replaced. Get them from your local dealer. They cost about $1 each. If you forget to take them out of the door and reinstall the door panel , you won't get a good tight fit of the door panel, because it'll be sitting clear of the clip, resulting in the panel being pushed out a bit from the door. You'll know if this happens because the panel won't seat in one area and will be loose and sticking out a bit. Double check to make sure no clips are left stuck in the door (I say this because of personal experience).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
humm....is there no way to remove the clips without risk of breaking them? Like pry them out with a flathead then unhook the door? Its not that i'm cheap but a 5 minute visit to the dealer usually ends up being a 50 minute visit. gosh, would be so much easier if i could just pop the grill off...

*edit* i have a 2003 mazda 6s with the stock speakers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts