Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried/considered/pondered doing this at the track to feed cool, fast moving air onto the filter? Per the regs at most tracks, you can have a headlight removed to feed an intake, so i dont know why a foglight would be different (but i'd check just to be sure).

Anyway, it seems like an easy way to feed cool air. comments??

·
Registered
700 Posts
i did this with my old 6s when i was dynoing it but i dunno if it helped with just the fan.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did this with my old 6s when i was dynoing it but i dunno if it helped with just the fan. [/b]
Yeah, with just a fan blowing I dont know how well it would work (i guess you do, lol). But, with the quarter mile, considering i spend more than half the time over 60 mph, it may add some cooling with the air blowing so fast. it's probably unnecessary if it's only going to be 50 degrees anyway, but why not bring some hand tools.

thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
None of the CAI's out currently would make much use of that setup.... From what I remember when I had my bumper and shit off... It just wouldn't provide much... if any benefit...

As for rules at the track.. you can remove 1.. 2...4..10.. fog lights all you want... the only rules they care about is having at least one light facing forward so you can see... and tail lights for breaking / seeing at night...

"Street Legal" isn't a huge factor at any of the tracks i've been too...

·
Registered
829 Posts
None of the CAI's out currently would make much use of that setup.... From what I remember when I had my bumper and shit off... It just wouldn't provide much... if any benefit...

As for rules at the track.. you can remove 1.. 2...4..10.. fog lights all you want... the only rules they care about is having at least one light facing forward so you can see... and tail lights for breaking / seeing at night...

"Street Legal" isn't a huge factor at any of the tracks i've been too...
[/b]
considering there are a ton of cars with no foglights, I don't think they can do much if your car had no foglights, nor would it make your car illegal to drive on the streets. <shrug>

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you'd have to cut out part of the bumper too. i pulled the black fog light insert out. there's actually bumper behind it. i didn't want to cut the bumper, so i snapped the insert back in & left as is.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
hey andy, i was actually thinking about taking the hood off... .sinc my sister is not going to be racing..... i can just have her watch the hood for me..... would they allow that?

·
Registered
167 Posts
hey andy, i was actually thinking about taking the hood off... .sinc my sister is not going to be racing..... i can just have her watch the hood for me..... would they allow that?
[/b]
Just shooting from the hip here, but that shouldn't work at all. Nothing will cause the air to go through the IC, and the air flow would be horrendous on the car where your hood is supposed to be. Incrased drag and decreased intake air cooling would be bad.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1 yeah, without the ducting, air would flow over the IC and not into and across it. it would save about 400 lbs though, lol

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
ahh okay, yea that fills the blanks..... but well i dont know, i was just throwing an idea... i guess its a bad one! lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
Might get water damage (too much water getting inside the engine)... doubt it, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
cutting those holes for everyday driving i think is a bit too much... i mean you got the cold air intake, and its already getting decently good amount of air, with limited amount of water and other shit.... now cutting that little amount of holes wouldnt do MUCH, but instead you have more of a chance of getting a hydro lock or what not.... but whatever floats your boat!....

although that does look pretty clean... nice job on the cutting....

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have more dirt and Grime from the wheel well side thant on the front facing the holes. I like it the way it looks kind of OEM and "sleeperish". Dremmels are great for this kind of work.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
damn, i guess i was wrong than! I have one of those, but never get to use them.... got it as a birthday gift about 2 years ago....but i dont have anything to it on...atlest my car.. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts