Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its that time of the year where I'm thinking of getting a remote starter. I live in NYC and its getting pretty cold here in the morning. I was wondering if anyone has a remote starter here and which brand they have. I'm not sure how much I should pay for a professional install. I've heard VIPER alarms and remote starters are good. Anyone out there with remote starters?? Your advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anything from DEI is good...Viper, Python, Valet, Hornet etc.... I just ordered the new python 990 to replace my 871xp... I'm upgrading because the range on the 871 sucks, and the 990 is supposed to be 1 mile range...Install costs anywhere from 75-175 dollars depending on which one you go with, and you will probably need a bypass module too, i think i paid 60 for that.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Anything from DEI is good...Viper, Python, Valet, Hornet etc.... I just ordered the new python 990 to replace my 871xp... I'm upgrading because the range on the 871 sucks, and the 990 is supposed to be 1 mile range...Install costs anywhere from 75-175 dollars depending on which one you go with, and you will probably need a bypass module too, i think i paid 60 for that.
[/b]
You can get the bypass module on ebay for $25. If you buy a DEI product and don't have it installed by a DEI certified installer, DEI will not honor the warranty at all. So in other words, if you don't buy it from the place that installs it, no warranty.

·
Registered
254 Posts
No, most of the wiring is under the dash and drivers kick panel, then theres one wire and the siren under the hood

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you guys installing these on manual transmission's? Does anyone have a remote starter on their speed6? Thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Are you guys installing these on manual transmission's? Does anyone have a remote starter on their speed6? Thanks for any info you can provide.
[/b]
mine is on a MTX. There is a neutral safety wire on the 6 that won't allow you to crank the car in gear, but I haven't hooked mine up to it as of yet because someone just recently discovered the wire

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just receive my viper 791xv from internet todayand I'm going to get instal this week. Is it a good alarm? Did you used remte to start your car?

I've got the VIPER 791XV. I purchased it on yahoo shopping for $198, then installed it myself.
[/b]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I just receive my viper 791xv from internet todayand I'm going to get instal this week. Is it a good alarm? Did you used remte to start your car?
[/b]
yes, i use it to remote start my car. i installed it myself because i wanted to save some money. it's is a pretty difficult install however and is very time consuming (10-12 hrs would be a quick install)

·
Registered
26 Posts
has anyone posted a detailed instructions on how to install a remote starter? how to take apart the steering column ?
thanks

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Does anyone have a remote starter on their speed6?
[/b]
Has anyone installed a remote start on a MS6 GT? I'm curious if there are any issues getting a remote start to work with the advanced keyless entry.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
has anyone posted a detailed instructions on how to install a remote starter? how to take apart the steering column ?
thanks
[/b]
if you want to do it yourself, the factory option would be the simplest and least time consuming. There isn't a detailed remote start install guide anywhere because it would take hours to write up.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I have a Viper 791XV on my 6s. Don't forget that you need to get the Mazda bypass unit, I think it is a DEI model 555 if I remember correctly. You also need your valet key to operate it. And have your factory alarm disabled too. I love that alarm. I wish I could install it on my MS6. I never started my car with the key in 3 years.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yomama you said that you wish you could install on your MS6, thats what i have. I think jd42 and i are both looking for more info on which models people have installed on their speeds. Pro's cons' , pain in the ass install? cost, modules needed , how it works with the advanced keyless entry etc. Why dont you have one installed on your speed?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have an 06 6i and I was told the aftermarket remote starts won't work because the remote doesn't work when the car's turned on. I was going to get OEM Mazda, which is $485 installed at Rosenthal Mazda.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts