Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone.
I learned lots of useful things about my car by reading this website topics. so I am sharing my experience in case to help other members.
a few weeks ago after some researches and getting quotes from dealership and a few other shops I ordered and installed "compustar 1 button remote starter" for my 2017 mazda 6 touring.
so far works flawless with good range and secure take over without shutting engine down. it's also let you use it with factory fob (3 times lock button starts the engine) if you purchase it from best buy the installation would be free( that's what I did) it totally cost me about 260$ in US, almost like a half of dealership quote.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Am I right that you will be having two keys? I mean, I have to carry the original key fob plus the one that you are describing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you need the Orginal key fob for sure, without having that you can't take over the car and start driving.
the remote start module let you program the Orginal key fob for starting engine as well.
the only reason to carry the new one key remote (optional) is that it give u longer renge (about 1000 ft) for starting the engine.
otherwise having original key fob is enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's not a bad price for an installed remote start system. Is your car an automatic transmission?

I went a different route for my system. I went with the Fortin brand. Here is the install guide on Fortin's website.

This kit has the module and 2 long range remotes: Fortin Evo One 942. You'll also want the plug-and-play harness: Thar-one-Maz3. You'll also need the programmer for the Evo One module.

Overall, the install experience wasn't bad. There are a few options to choose during the programming stage. Because my car is a manual, I have to go through extra steps each time I want to set the car for remote start: Foot on brake pedal, set hand brake, release brake pedal, hit remote start on fob, get out of the car while it's running, close the door, then hit lock button on fob to shut the car down. It took a few days to get used to the pattern.For an automatic transmission car, none of these steps are necessary.

If you have an automatic, and you just want to use your original remote, you can buy just the Evo One, the harness, and the programmer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's not a bad price for an installed remote start system. Is your car an automatic transmission?

I went a different route for my system. I went with the Fortin brand. Here is the install guide on Fortin's website.

This kit has the module and 2 long range remotes: Fortin Evo One 942. You'll also want the plug-and-play harness: Thar-one-Maz3. You'll also need the programmer for the Evo One module.

Overall, the install experience wasn't bad. There are a few options to choose during the programming stage. Because my car is a manual, I have to go through extra steps each time I want to set the car for remote start: Foot on brake pedal, set hand brake, release brake pedal, hit remote start on fob, get out of the car while it's running, close the door, then hit lock button on fob to shut the car down. It took a few days to get used to the pattern.For an automatic transmission car, none of these steps are necessary.

If you have an automatic, and you just want to use your original remote, you can buy just the Evo One, the harness, and the programmer.
I've got a Fortin Evo One on my 2018 and unfortunately it doesn't support secure takeover with the MRCC (radar cruise control).

My installer had to redo part of the installation so the car stops when I open the door.

The secure takeover part kind of worked, but I got error for the TPMS (which reinitialized after the takeover) and MRCC (which just won't work until you shut down the car).

There doesn't seem to be a fix for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
@hamed Thanks for sharing that. I also had a Compustar remote start system installed on my 2017 Grand Touring. Everything worked well except for using the factory fob (3x lock button) to start seems to have trouble - I discussed with the installer and the theory was that maybe the "auto proximity lock" on my Grand Touring was somehow confusing the remote start system. For example, I initially had the start from the factory fob programmed to start on a <Lock><Unlock><Lock> sequence but sometimes it would only work if I hit <Unlock> first and then did the three-button sequence. I ended up buying the long-range remote at a decent discount and that always works. Happy with the remote start system, just never figured out why using the factory fob to remote start didn't always work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Two year with Automate remote starter model 7115A looks the same as the 4115A no complain stealer installed $200, good thing is it starts as well as you can turn off the car from keyfob if you decide you are not going out, also auto turns off after 10min of idling but guess that should be on every other system.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Because my car is a manual, I have to go through extra steps each time I want to set the car for remote start: Foot on brake pedal, set hand brake, release brake pedal, hit remote start on fob, get out of the car while it's running, close the door, then hit lock button on fob to shut the car down.
That means, you have to leave the car in neutral.

A few decades ago, my mother parked the van, put it in neutral then hit the handbrake. She went out of the van and closed the door. Suddenly, the van moved on its own backward, gained speed through the slope of our garage, went straight across the road, and finally found its resting place inside the store.

Then my father...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

yes. my car has automatic transmission. evo was one of the options for me to, but buying parts and programer would have cost me same price plus my time and effort to install it by myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts