Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i know it has been a long time, however due to countless hours of testing, fitting, and replacing parts, project remote mount Turbo 6 has failed. It will not be released to the market. The kit made power, i'll tell you that, however it is not made to be street driven. Especilally for anyone who lowers there cars as well. After all the tests and repiping we have done, the project has failed. No matter what you do, in a remote mount kit the pipes will always be fairly low to the ground. It is just not streetable. We tried 15 different pipe configurations and yet, have not gotten one that works. there is no way to tuck the charge pipes up in the 6s, unless you tuck them up into the exhaust housing, next to the exhaust pipes, which still requires cutting and machining, yet it ruins the point of a remote mount kit, because the charge pipes will be steaming hot, leading to detonation, and a blown engine, unless you get an intercooler, which just creates a huge amount of lag due to all the pipes and then on top of that an INTERCOOLER. you could only have one or the other. We've tried all these combinations i just stated, as well as the intercooler. I will never do a remote mount kit again, not only because of the pipes, but the oil solution is horrid. Oil feed is not a problem, since it is pressure fed and reaches the turbo in a split second, however return is unbelievable. No matter what we did, the turbo would always be backed up with too much oil, due to improper drainage. it would come out of the exhaust side, and even through the compressor housing charge pipes. Second, the oil return lines are just way too long, to go back to the engine back, and even to the oil pan, which we tried. We had the strongest oil transfer pump on the market, we did every possible turbo drainage troubleshooting, and yet still had problems. Tuning for the car was done by use of an AEM universal ECU, in which we did a long amount of tuning, made some crazy power, yet with the power came oil leak after oil leak after oil leak, after pipes bottoming out. We're not saying that the pipes always hit, because they only hit once in a while. but you don't want to be on the road, no matter how careful you are, and you hit a pothole or a huge speedbump at night, and there goes your kit, and money to get a tow truck to tow you home where you spend more money on repairs. I'm sorry for all the hype, however we thought it will work, and after an outstanding amount of work, and EVERYYY possible configuration of piping and oil, it still did not work out well if you want a daily driver that is reliable. I will not release the company name as they do not want to have a ruined name or reputation. Just take my advice when i say, look toward another turbo kit, because remote mounting is not the key for reliability, nor efficiency. Have a nice day everyone, and please ask questions about anything, because i have been through it all. COPPER6

·
Registered
542 Posts
I guess then we go back to just the regular set up of turbo in the engine bay, and a front mount intercooloer setup...dang it, I would have loved to see a stealth turbo install in the engine bay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I read through the entire other post that you did (which you should have bumped instead of creating a new one) and could have told you from the start that it wasn't going to work...

Props for trying, but you should have left it to a company that actually knew what they were doing. Now that the project is over, what was the company that was doing it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
hey man, nice try. i'm not a fan of rear mount either, theres too much room for error. but its ok. my engine bay single turbo will be done very soon. our intercooler was just ordered last night, and we are awaiting it for the install.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks for all the work that you did. I really appreciate that although it ended in failure cuz it tells us (v6ers) where to start the job in order to do it right. It's very important. Good try tho!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Too bad, though not entirely unexpected. Thanks for the info, but next time can you organize it into paragraphs or something?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I give you alot of respect for trying this out and admitting failure,not many people can do that.I saw how bad some of the members on here acted and doubted you.I decided to keep my mouth shut on the engine buildup project that i am working on just for the fact.Again sorry to hear that the project failed,the thought of a rear mount turbo was something i wanted to try.

·
Registered
531 Posts
^^^^^^^Ditto that. Good try, hopefully this didn't cost you too much.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
agreed, on both counts.

what's the power figure you were able to get? i'm guessing the tuning was on a dyno, so how'd we endup?

maybe you can PM me the companies name if you don't want to post it. there have been 2 companies try to use the AEM ecu on the 6 with no luck, i'll like to get some info on how to get that one going as it's a viable option for the future.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yes much respect. Sometimes you put your car through hell to come out with a good product and it still doesn't work.

:tear: my manifold.....

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont get it...

People put these on cars everyday and they cant get it to work? Sounds odd.

As far as intercooler, they make a inline intercooler that would not add any pipe distance. It is used on diesels, but not sure why it couldnt be used on a gas engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts