Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey wassup guys! I've just stumbled upon this site and so far I think its great, the members are just so friendly :thumbup , nothing like the clubrsx.com website, everyone's so serious there. Anyway's I currently have a 91 GrandPrix SE and I know its not gonna last for another year which is why I'm lookin for a new car. I was considering many cars like a new Grand Prix or: Nissan Altima, Accord coupe, TSX, RSX, Protege5, and of course, the new Mazda6/Atenza. I just love the new stuff that Mazda's coming out with especially with the 2 aforementioned models.

I've never owned a Mazda and never considered it since it is connected to Ford but what I would like to know (honest unbiased opinions now) is just how reliable ARE Mazdas? I would like to keep this car for as long as possible as I feel this would make a great family car so I'll be keeping it for 5 years +. Thanks any of your help is really appreciated, I know I'll be getting great, smart responses from everyone since that is all I keep reading in this forum!! Congrats to all of you for makin this forum great!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Reading Topic: Reliability

MoçasJubbie, this is my first Mazda and I was a little nervous about the relationship with Ford. Don't worry Mazda designed the 6 and with the release over in Euorpe and Japan most of the bugds if any had been worked out. Also all of my friends who have owned Mazda's rave about how relieable they are, and how good there service and support is.

·
Registered
543 Posts

I'm driving a '91 Mazda MX-6 that I have owned for 10 years. When I bought it I looked it up in Consumer Reports car charts and my specific year had all favorable circle ratings. Other than routine stuff like brakes, exhaust, etc., the only "problems" I've had are noisy valve lifters, which don't click anymore since we did a few cycles of adding transmission fluid/changing the oil, and I had a hole in a vacuum hose or something that was taken care of by my mechanic about 2-3 years ago.

I LOVE my Mazda! I have no qualms about buying the 6!

·
Registered
67 Posts

A friend of mine had an older Protege (not sure what year) with over 200,000 miles on it before she got into a wreck and totaled it. They've always been well-rated by Consumer Reports, and my fiancee is currently driving an '01 Protege. She's a relatively low mileage driver, so I expect she'll be able to use the car for many, many years.

·
Registered
240 Posts

I used to own a Mazda 626 '85, then a Mazda MX-6 '89, finally a Mazda Protege 92. In the city, I drive relatively safely, but on highway, I am a big speeder. The above first two cars, I use to hold them above 160 km/h for hours at the time driving none stop both Regina and Winnipeg (600 km); nice long and boring roads, and between Toronto and Montreal (550 km). None of the cars give me any problem. I just sold the Protege with over 305000 km on it. I only change brake, muffler, tire and oil on those cars.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

My previous car was a Ford Probe GT (MX-6). Ultra reliable. No problems through 119,000 miles when I sold it so I could buy a Ford Explorer for my then-pregnant wife.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Ford owns part of Mazda, they do not control Mazda. Mazda does share components with Ford and in the case of the Mazda V6, the engine block is a ford design, but thats it. As far as I know there are no fords re-branded as Mazda. Ford, recognizing the quality of Mazda however, has re-branded several Mazda vehicles, such as the Tribute and the older MX-6….and ford is considering re-branding the 6 as well. The Protégé, Tribute, Miata, RX-7, RX-8, and 6 are all 100% Mazda design. I’m not sure about the MPV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks guys for such quick responses, glad to know that Ford isn't involved much in the process of Mazda's design. I'll be lookin to test drive one soon. Thanks again! :thumbup

·
Registered
237 Posts

You know the mazda6 is so fine tuned in general as a car, that all the local markets have made no modifications to the car for local releases. In another words, the 6 spec is the same in NA, AUS, UK, JPN etc etc etc

·
Registered
42 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Reliability'

i owned a mazda b2000 1987 pu,,,, bought it brand new (silver with burgandy interior,, wtf ) :: :wtf drove the thing into the ground,, not a peep from it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I was surprised to see the Protege rated above the Civic in Consumer Reports predicted reliability for 2003 models. This is based on data gathered from previous 2-3 years. It's also a good sign! :thumbup

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by miso

You know the mazda6 is so fine tuned in general as a car, that all the local markets have made no modifications to the car for local releases.  In another words, the 6 spec is the same in NA, AUS, UK, JPN etc etc etc[/b]
Eh, that's not entirely true. Honestly, there are many things that are different. Engine setups for one.

Anyway, most things are the same. And Mazda is definitely reliable. In Sweden, Mazda is top-rated in reliabilty. All Mazdas I've had (three including my 6) works/worked just fine. No probs. I know a lot of people who has had Mazdas also - they have always been pleased also with the reliability.

·
Registered
82 Posts

yup all fords suck blah blah blah. How many experiences have you people really had with Ford cars when you concluded they all sucked folks? .... you had an 80 pinto and your brother-in-law had one and it was a piece of shit?

I just find it strange when people would just say anything associated with a company sucks when the company is as large and ever changing as one like Ford

"there is my 10 cents, my two cents was free"

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I give kudos to Ford for the Focus, even though I don't know anyone who has one. I hear alot of good things about them. I do know someone who had a '95 Mustang and I can tell you it was a piece of crap. It was miserable to drive, and the interior was cheap and poorly designed. From what I can see, not much has changed 8 model years later. I do look forward to the concept Mustang becoming reality. I think it captures a nostalgic look while still appearing modern. Gotta cross my fingers, though, that they fired the group in charge of interior design on the current Mustang.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I hate to break it to you, but this "revolutionary" mazda chassis is a derivative of the same one designed by Ford and used in the Modeo in Europe. While Ford USA may not have had a big hand in the 6, Ford Europe had a big part. Just look at the Modeo on a Ford Europe website.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I know 4 people that own Focus's (Foci) and all are very happy with them; my sister (Focus SE sedan); my friend (Focus SVT, that car is a blast to drive); my cousins wife (Focus SE sedan); my other buddy (Focus ZX3 coupe). So far, no problems with the regular Focus. The SVT has an ECU programming problem which SVT has resolved and is now downloading in all SVT's. It has a lean idle/surge issue when cold.
Otherwise great cars. I have one buddy who's got a 97 Contour and it has had nothing wrong with it at 145,000 that any car at that mileage would need. The guy who now owns the SVT Focus had a 97 SHO which was a great car until the crappy transmission went and a very VERY expensive catalytic converter replacement. But then, what do you expect with a limited production Yamaha engine? It's a great engine but parts are hard to come by and are thus ultra expensive.

Overall, Ford makes a great product. It's just that most of their stuff is truly BORING just like GM, except for the Vette. Chrysler has nice designs but quality is suspect.

I think this lack of quality issue for American cars comes from the late 70's, 80's when American car companys thought they could be substandard product and no one would notice or care. NOT!
But, they have come around and are finally making world class cars, but the designs are still dull and the old reputation is tough to change
as people tend to repeat and believe what they've heard without really experiencing it themselves.
:)

Tome

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by duck979

yup all fords suck blah blah blah.  How many experiences have you people really had with Ford cars when you concluded they all sucked folks? .... you had an 80 pinto and your brother-in-law had one and it was a piece of shit?

I just find it strange when people would just say anything associated with a company sucks when the company is as large and ever changing as one like Ford  

"there is my 10 cents, my two cents was free"[/b]
Does this mean that we all owe you 8 cents. ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

Overall, Ford makes a great product.  It's just that most of their stuff is truly BORING just like GM, except for the Vette.  Chrysler has nice designs but quality is suspect.[/b]
Bah! The Mustang is still junk, though the styling update around '99 helped. Plus they offer more flavors (Cobra, SVT). However, a new coat of paint and a new porch doesn't do much for a house if it's falling apart on the inside! Same goes for the Rustang!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Reliability

Bash Ford all you want. Mazda wouldn't be here without them. I'll reiterate. That "Mazda" you just bought is a Ford chassis, with a Ford engine, built at a Ford plant, by Ford employees. Enjoy!

ps I have owned 2 TBirds, my last one had 150k mi on it without a single incident. It was sadly rear ended and totalled. My current one has 60k on it, again without incident. Ford sells a lot of cars, some of them are gonna be lemons. It sould be worse, you could have paid 50 large for an M3 and had the engine "fail". And have BMW not take responsibility for it for months.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by TbirdJayC

Bash Ford all you want.  Mazda wouldn't be here without them.  I'll reiterate.  That "Mazda" you just bought is a Ford chassis, with a Ford engine, built at a Ford plant, by Ford employees. Enjoy!

ps  I have owned 2 TBirds, my last one had 150k mi on it without a single incident.  It was sadly rear ended and totalled.  My current one has 60k on it, again without incident.  Ford sells a lot of cars, some of them are gonna be lemons.  It sould be worse, you could have paid 50 large for an M3 and had the engine "fail".  And have BMW not take responsibility for it for months.[/b]
The Mazda6 does not use a Ford chassis. It uses a new chassis designed by Mazda, not Ford. The 6 does use Ford's Duratec engine, but Mazda has redesigned it to fit their needs. They added their own sequential valve timing and made their own cylinder heads.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts