Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liteswap: I noticed that it doesn't look like the Catz setup is wired through relay directly to the battery, but rather it is wired directly to the factory wiring harness for the lights. Can the factory Mazda headlight wiring support the significantly higher turn-on current of the HID ballast? Or are the ballasts designed to soft-start? I am aware that it is possible to degrade the headlight cluster switch terminals over time if a relayed setup is not used in halogen->HID retrofits. How does Catz address this?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reading Topic: Regarding Catz wiring harnesses

The Catz system is fine with this. You are only supplying the voltage to the inverter.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. Please bear with me, though. Are you saying that means the power source is relayed and a second set of high-current power wires is run to the ballast?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
653 Posts

No. You tap the voltage from the factory harness which is fused. From there, the ballast/inverter does all the work and outputs the high current/voltage to the igniter, which fires the capsule. Once that happens, it uses less wattage than halogen..

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So there is no transient high-current load in the first milliseconds of col turn-on like other HID retrofits? How is the Catz system any different that other kits in this respect?

thanks,
-Alt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts