Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for an oil change last week and they did a pcu "update". The car is not pulling like it was before - especially at higher speeds. The turbo doesn't seem to be giving me that same surge of power like before. Is it true that there is a learning period following the reflash?

·
Registered
364 Posts
please search, this horse has been beaten into the ground.

yes the ecu will need to learn a bit, but the reflash kills the surging sensation

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wasn't trying to diss him, I was responding to the other folks who were quick to point him elsewhere. What I was saying is that if he knew about the 11 pages of complaints about the reflash, he wouldn't have got it done, so give him a break.

DaBears, it's your car, you do have a choice. The warranty is not affected by refusing the recall.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
mandatory in canada right? i thought it was voluntary in the USA? thats what it says on my paperwork - can anyone point me to where it says its now mandatory?

·
Registered
591 Posts
If it wasn't mandatory Mazda wouldn't have spent the money sending us all letters to get the reflash done; I think dabears is correct when he says it’s mandatory. We all know that manufacturers/dealers would never do anything for free if it wasn't required.

·
Registered
413 Posts
In the U.S., the law requires dealers to send a notice but if the customer refuses the work, they are not required to perform it. You guys are too funny, Are you saying that if someone takes their car to the dealer to get an oil change and doesn't want anything else done to it, the dealer will call the police and restrain her while dealers perform recall services?? Do they also come and reposess your car if you haven't had the "reflash"?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Rofl.... It DOES say that failure to get this update done can void future warranty issues down the road.

Mazda made this update because something was "wrong" with the vehicle. And if you don't do every single little thing they've requested of you. They can use that against you on warranty work later on.

P.S. I've gone to my only local speed dealership 5 times within the last 2 months. EVERY single time their machine is down and are unable to do my reflash. I take this as a "sign" and its not something the car gods want me to do! Heh...

So... If I have warranty issues because I haven't gotten it done, I hope by pointing out that I tried like 5x and every time it was "down" will be enough for them to forget the issue.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
In California, it is a required emissions related recall.

Technically, you don't have to get it done but when you go to register your car the next time, they won't register it until you get the recall flash.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If it wasn't mandatory Mazda wouldn't have spent the money sending us all letters to get the reflash done; I think dabears is correct when he says it’s mandatory. We all know that manufacturers/dealers would never do anything for free if it wasn't required.
[/b]
I've had my car for 3 months now and now letter, and yes it does "need' the reflash.

·
Registered
167 Posts
mandatory in canada right? i thought it was voluntary in the USA? thats what it says on my paperwork - can anyone point me to where it says its now mandatory?
[/b]

awh,

"mandatory in canada right?" Not to the best of my knowledge. I was at my dealer tonight to make an oil change appointment and I told them that the 4106E is bogus in Canada, as it's a U.S. Emissions Recall
not a Canadian Emissions Recall, so it's not even valid. I know the service manager pretty well and he agrees with me. I haven't had a power loss episode or any knock problems, so I won't allow them to do it until they've got a re-flash that everybody says is better than what we've got......ain't gonna happen or they come up with a proper fix, not a de-tuning.

If your car will pass an emissions test, how can they make you re-flash your car, if it's within government guidelines. I think that 4106E is bullshit, that's just there excuse to get their hands on your computer and de-tune your car, what has any of this engineering screw up have to do with emissions. They're pulling out timing and lowering the boost and changing the boost pattern and settings from the sounds of it, which doesn't sound emissions related to me.

Don't let them touch it, if you can avoid it. :nana:

Good Luck

Rocket 6 :drive:

[/b]

kenpo1441,

I doubt very much that the dealer is doing it for free. I'm pretty sure they get paid by Mazda for performing the re-flash.

Regards,

·
Registered
167 Posts
In the U.S., the law requires dealers to send a notice but if the customer refuses the work, they are not required to perform it. You guys are too funny, Are you saying that if someone takes their car to the dealer to get an oil change and doesn't want anything else done to it, the dealer will call the police and restrain her while dealers perform recall services?? Do they also come and reposess your car if you haven't had the "reflash"?
[/b]

Scott4083,

Yup, when I was at the dealer today they had two women and a guy shackled to the third bay hoist screaming bloody murder with the battery charger hooked up to their privates, while they were illegally doing the re-flash on their cars. I'm not afraid to admit it, but I ran like hell when I saw those two techs running towards me with the plug-in, in their hands. :nana:

They were screaming come back, come back, you bitch... we want to stick our plug in your hole. :nono:

I tell you, I was just lucky to get away without having my Speed neutered by those animals.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"They're pulling out timing and lowering the boost and changing the boost pattern and settings from the sounds of it, which doesn't sound emissions related to me."

Rocket6, why would they want to do that? Certainly, there would have to be a good reason. :goon:

·
Registered
353 Posts
My question how does anyone know that they are pulling timing? Unless you logged the timing before and after, you can not say that timing is being pulled. Under knock they are pulling timing (which is what it is supposed to do). Just doesnt completely kill the power like before. (Though I never experienced it before and my car is in no way any different before or after the reflash. Drives and feels the EXACT same as it did before hand) Which is why I believe all this crap about the reflash is in peoples heads, and until someone can PROVE that the reflash actually changed something, (in the way that people are describing) I think its all BS. Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels the reflash did nothing to the car. So what if the boost doesn't spike as high now, boost spike is bad anyway.

This is merely my opinion and in no way am I trying to call anyone a liar. I just don't believe any of it until someone can prove with data that the car is now different.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My question how does anyone know that they are pulling timing? Unless you logged the timing before and after, you can not say that timing is being pulled. Under knock they are pulling timing (which is what it is supposed to do). Just doesnt completely kill the power like before. (Though I never experienced it before and my car is in no way any different before or after the reflash. Drives and feels the EXACT same as it did before hand) Which is why I believe all this crap about the reflash is in peoples heads, and until someone can PROVE that the reflash actually changed something, (in the way that people are describing) I think its all BS. Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels the reflash did nothing to the car. So what if the boost doesn't spike as high now, boost spike is bad anyway.

This is merely my opinion and in no way am I trying to call anyone a liar. I just don't believe any of it until someone can prove with data that the car is now different.
[/b]
My quick answer would be to look at the max hp number for the 2007 MS6 - yes it is only 4 hp lower, but it is lower (and who knows how the hp/torque curves look - max hp is hardly all there is to it) and if the car feels different to so many people, they can't all be stupid/deluded can they?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
the car feels different to so many people, they can't all be stupid/deluded can they? [/b]
well, there are a lot of canadians on the board...

juuuuuust kidding. all my love to the north :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts