Mazda 6 Forums banner

Did the reflash improve your MS6's performance?

• No, it did not - it was worse!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't get the reflash

• No, it did not - it was the same.

• Other (PLEASE COMMENT)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen tons of information on the reflash and too much to sort through so I thought I would try this out.

I just bought my car on 10/24 and I wanted to see if I should reflash it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you have a late build the car probably has the latest PCM calibration anyhow. i had powerloss enough times to consider getting rid of the car. now, with powerloss gone, the love affair is back.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yay - yet another reflash thread and people telling me I am imagining the goofy problems my engine has since the reflash.
[/b]
By no means did I intend to do that. I did this for my own sanity as there are just so many threads about this. I figured a poll would best show me how people felt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Other:
Never had powerloss, got the reflash...no problems, car did drive a little "smoother" after it ...feels like less raw power but more of a sophisticated acceleration...no real power difference though

·
Registered
45 Posts
Definitely helped with powerloss. Well, at least there was a 'difference' in how the car responded at certain points in the power band.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The reflash does not change total power output, it changes when/how you receive power. I personally like my car better preflash because it "felt" like it pulled like crazy in low RPM now post flash it still pulls hard but doesn't have the same feeling to me. It used to throw me back in my seat out of nowhere, now it just pulls me back in my seat, not throw. It's so hard to explain.

Some people felt no difference pre/post flash, so they either already had the flash and didn't know it or they got a different version than I did. Mine is definitely noticeable.

I know someone on this forum was working on getting Mazda to update the flash again. Hopefully one without powerloss and still throws you back in your seat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine was a "pre-april 2006" model and it hadn't had any PCM updates.

I just updated last week...

Now the car feels significantly more consistent with its power, however there seems to be some power reduction.

Prior to the reflash, on a scale of 1 - 10, 75% of the time I would get a 10 on the power scale when flooring it, and the rest of the time I would get a 1.
After the reflash, 100% of the time I get a 7 or 8 on the power scale.

So yeah... consistency, but It feels like I just gave up like 20-30hp.

Still very strong in gears 1-3. Gears 4/5 are ehhh... Gear 6 there is no power.
(The above refers to RPM between 3k and 5k)

Overall I like the consistency, but I wish I still had all the power.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The reflash does not change total power output, it changes when/how you receive power. I personally like my car better preflash because it "felt" like it pulled like crazy in low RPM now post flash it still pulls hard but doesn't have the same feeling to me. It used to throw me back in my seat out of nowhere, now it just pulls me back in my seat, not throw. It's so hard to explain.

Some people felt no difference pre/post flash, so they either already had the flash and didn't know it or they got a different version than I did. Mine is definitely noticeable.

I know someone on this forum was working on getting Mazda to update the flash again. Hopefully one without powerloss and still throws you back in your seat.
[/b]
+1

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yay - yet another reflash thread and people telling me I am imagining the goofy problems my engine has since the reflash.
[/b]
What goofy problems?

[/b]
I agree with the exception of 6th gear.
In gears 1-5, it feels like the power has been moved up the RPM band a bit.
6th gear... Im very dissapointed... Prior to the reflash, my car would still put my head into the headrest in 6th gear at any RPM > 3k. Now... Nothing in 6th. No power. Just granny mobile...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Still very strong in gears 1-3. Gears 4/5 are ehhh... Gear 6 there is no power.
(The above refers to RPM between 3k and 5k)
[/b]
I feel the opposite. First and second gears are where I think there is significant power reduction.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What goofy problems?
6th gear... Im very dissapointed... Prior to the reflash, my car would still put my head into the headrest in 6th gear at any RPM > 3k. Now... Nothing in 6th. No power. Just granny mobile...
[/b]
Dude,

Sorry about your 6th gear problem. My 6th makes my ass sweat, it pulls so hard. Or maybe I forgot to turn the seat heaters off again. Anyhoo, in time you'll be able to get an ECU.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dude,

Sorry about your 6th gear problem. My 6th makes my ass sweat, it pulls so hard. Or maybe I forgot to turn the seat heaters off again. Anyhoo, in time you'll be able to get an ECU.
[/b]

You bitch! I don't wanna hear about your stupid well-working MS6! ;) hehe

I wonder if you've got a different software version.

What RPM are you getting all this power at?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
6th gear will start to pull at 3000-3100 and even blow off quite a bit of pressure at that RPM too.

I drive on the highway almost daily so I use 6th a lot.

I'm still under the impression that those people whose reflashes didn't help, they were not performed correctly by the service department. I have found that the vast majority of the service techs are not familiar enough with the MS6 to do any good.

Another note: I've noticed that a lot of people have their BOVs running recirc. but mine is running VTA. There's another difference. And, no it's not causing a change in the air/fuel ratio because if that ratio was out of spec. it would send off a CEL and my car has never thrown a CEL.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I selected the "other" category. I only suffered powerloss 1 time, which ironically was on the way home from a dealer trip where i refused to reflash, lol. Eventually i got it flashed after the final version was out.

I felt like i had more top end after the reflash, but that it didn't suffere too much down low. My car will still pin me in the seat, especially in 2 and 3 gears if i am cruising along and then nail the throttle. overall, im pleased enough with the flash.

·
Registered
273 Posts
6th gear will start to pull at 3000-3100 and even blow off quite a bit of pressure at that RPM too.

I drive on the highway almost daily so I use 6th a lot.

I'm still under the impression that those people whose reflashes didn't help, they were not performed correctly by the service department. I have found that the vast majority of the service techs are not familiar enough with the MS6 to do any good.

Another note: I've noticed that a lot of people have their BOVs running recirc. but mine is running VTA. There's another difference. And, no it's not causing a change in the air/fuel ratio because if that ratio was out of spec. it would send off a CEL and my car has never thrown a CEL.
[/b]
Maybe I'll have my car reflashed again at a different dealership.

Did any of you get the reflash from a Mazda dealership in the SF Bay Area and are happy with the results?

Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is there more than one flash version out there?
How do I find out which version I got?
[/b]
I think they are all the same "version" of flash, it's just that some dealers have "updates" that others do not.

I got my original flash done at Mazda of Lakewood in Colorado. Once I moved to Virginia I took the car to the Casey Masda and had them check for any updates. They told me they found 3 different updates that I needed. Car still feels the same as the first flash.

So who knows what's going on, so many different scenarios. The only way for them to tell if you have the correct updates is to hook you car up and see. But who know if yours or mine or anybodys dealer has all the latest/correct calibrations.

By the way I voted "other"

[/b]
My car feels the same way in 6th.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
EVERYONE should remember and consider one thing when reading about this stuff...

My Girlfriend things her 2007 Jetta (non turbo.. 5cyl..)... is SUPER fast...

My friend things is WRX (240 hp at crank or something)... pulls harder than my speed6... yet at every track event or highway encounter.. i dominate the living shit outta him)...

My point? Some people will say "6th pulls so hard its crazy" while another person in the same car will say "wtf... 6th doesn't have boost?" Its all personal opinion...

If someone owned an STi, Evo, G35, SRT4, and... whatever else... all wtihin say 2 years.. and then got a Speed6.. i'd be more inclined to trust his opinions about power... than most other people...

Some people shift slowly... never floor the thing... and say its faster than a 1000 hp Skyline!... While others power shift ... drop the clutch.. double clutch... run the living hell outta the thing... and notice stupid little power loss issues.. hickups.. bla bla bla...

I have a feeling "me" personally could sit and drive any speed6 out there that claims they don't have one issue or another (pre-flash... same ECU version)... and reproduce the problems I have with mine.. after an hour or so of driving...

Considering i've driven 3 other speed6's ... 1 of which claimed no problems ever at all... and was able to SHOW him where the problems came up...

Then again some people might just have gotten the perfect mix of parts and programming that their speed6 is just... working great always =)

Mine has been pullng hard as hell since my DP install every time.. i've yet to get heat-soak or power loss problems... just the stupid hickup in 3rd ish gear range every so often...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.