Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it was time to change the oil and I decided to try Redline's 5W-20 synthetic, since as far as I can tell they are the only ones with a 5W-20 synthetic out on the market (I hear Mobil 1 will have one some time this year). I had been running Mobil 1 5W-30, which seemed fine, although I really wanted to run something that would be at factory spec. I felt like my mileage has been a little low as of late ~18 MPG (heavy stop and go); so I'll be interested to see what it is with the Redline. Overall, I can't really tell a differience in terms of sound or performance, but I'll watch it and let ya know. This stuff ain't cheap, its runs ~9.50 a quart and the V6 needs 6 quarts. Flipside is that they say for non racing use, you can easily get 10K off one oil change. Don't think I'll push it that far, but I'll see how it does after 7K. My mobile 1 held up fine for 5K, and that was with my track time. I let ya know how things turn out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Redline Oil Change 5W-20

Some advice - I wouldn't wait 7K miles. At least check your filter at 3K or 4K for some particles. Engine is still pretty new, you don't know just how broken in it is yet.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Redli

Also, when you say "I want an oil closer to spec" you should be aware that the SAE Grade numbers are not the specifications of the oil. You must read the spec sheet for an oil to see what is really closest to spec.

The "stock" motor is filled with motorcraft 5w20 synth blend.....the specs are on this page: http://www.motorcraft.com/standard.asp?T=2...&M=44&PageID=74

The Mobil1 specs are here

Based on that, it looks like Mobil1 0W20 is very close to "spec"---but since it's 110 degrees here, I opted for 5W30 (also, since Mazda released a TSB regarding Tribute oil recommendations indicating 5W30 was acceptable, but that 5W20 gave better MPG)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Redline Oil Change 5W-20'

Originally posted by Kristoff

Also, when you say "I want an oil closer to spec"  you should be aware that the SAE Grade numbers are not the specifications of the oil. You must read the spec sheet for an oil to see what is really closest to spec.    

The "stock" motor is filled with motorcraft 5w20 synth blend.....the specs are on this page: http://www.motorcraft.com/standard.asp?T=2...&M=44&PageID=74

The Mobil1 specs are here

Based on that, it looks like Mobil1 0W20 is very close to "spec"---but since it's 110 degrees here, I opted for 5W30 (also, since Mazda released a TSB regarding Tribute oil recommendations indicating 5W30 was acceptable, but that 5W20 gave better MPG)[/b]
very good point. I did check that as well with the redline tech support people to make sure I was in good shape. Now that I have my jack stands I do intend to replace the filter and oil myself, as the V6 is pretty easy access.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I spoke with Mobil today, and I found out they are offering a 0W-20 to cover the needs of people who want a 5W-20 or 0W-20. This looks to be a great compromise for those that want a synthetic but don't want to spend a huge amount on Royal Purple or Redline. Here is the spec sheet, which closely matches the stock motorcraft oil.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...escriptionTitle

·
Registered
383 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo

I spoke with Mobil today, and I found out they are offering a 0W-20 to cover the needs of people who want a 5W-20 or 0W-20. This looks to be a great compromise for those that want a synthetic but don't want to spend a huge amount on Royal Purple or Redline. Here is the spec sheet, which closely matches the stock motorcraft oil.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...escriptionTitle[/b]
The Mobil1 site doesn't show the 0W-20 oil, but the Mobil site does. Has anyone actually seen the 0w-20 for sale anywhere?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by pgmr

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS...escriptionTitle[/b]
The Mobil1 site doesn't show the 0W-20 oil, but the Mobil site does. Has anyone actually seen the 0w-20 for sale anywhere?[/b][/quote]

Mobil said walmart has it, I have't checked that yet

·
Registered
315 Posts

Brillo, what's the story on the jack stands you got for your 6? Where'd you get them and how much did they cost? I need to change my oil and I want to use Mobile 1, but getting under the car looks impossible without raising it up somewhat.

·
Registered
298 Posts

WRONG!!!!!PENNZOIL MAKES 5W-20 SYNTHETIC OIL!!! i had it installed last weekened.

Elmer

So it was time to change the oil and I decided to try Redline's 5W-20 synthetic, since as far as I can tell they are the only ones with a 5W-20 synthetic out on the market (I hear Mobil 1 will have one some time this year). I had been running Mobil 1 5W-30, which seemed fine, although I really wanted to run something that would be at factory spec. I felt like my mileage has been a little low as of late ~18 MPG (heavy stop and go); so I'll be interested to see what it is with the Redline. Overall, I can't really tell a differience in terms of sound or performance, but I'll watch it and let ya know. This stuff ain't cheap, its runs ~9.50 a quart and the V6 needs 6 quarts. Flipside is that they say for non racing use, you can easily get 10K off one oil change. Don't think I'll push it that far, but I'll see how it does after 7K. My mobile 1 held up fine for 5K, and that was with my track time. I let ya know how things turn out.[/b]

·
Registered
652 Posts

Originally posted by eduartejr

WRONG!!!!!PENNZOIL MAKES 5W-20 SYNTHETIC OIL!!! i had it installed last weekened.

Elmer[/b]
Actually, Pennzoil's product is a blend, not fully synthetic.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Looking at their web site, the Pennzoil 5W-20 doesn't appear to have ANY synthetic in it.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Originally posted by TheSwamp6

Brillo, what's the story on the jack stands you got for your 6? Where'd you get them and how much did they cost? I need to change my oil and I want to use Mobile 1, but getting under the car looks impossible without raising it up somewhat.[/b]
Any Pepboys/autozone should have them, you cang et the stands for about $12, or for about $80 you can get those and a good 1/2 hydralic jack.

·
Registered
229 Posts

I haven't change my oil lately but i will in about 2000 miles. Anyway, I have another Brillo sighting today.. hehehe

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'R

Originally posted by pgmr

Looking at their web site, the Pennzoil 5W-20 doesn't appear to have ANY synthetic in it.  [/b]
Look here:

From an old press release:

Pennzoil® with PureBase® SAE 5W-20 motor oil is a synthetic blend motor oil, formulated using PureBase®, the brand’s proprietary base oil, and a synthetic base stock. Pennzoil® 5W-20 is packaged in the familiar yellow bottle, but to distinguish it from the brand’s conventional motor oils, the label contains a red "burst" next to the viscosity grade, with text indicating its intended application for specific 2001 Ford and Honda automobiles.

SAE 5W-20 motor oils currently provide the highest level of fuel economy specified by the automotive industry and help meet new lower emission requirements. However, SAE 5W-20 motor oils are only for use in those automobiles for which they are recommended by the manufacturer. Currently, those vehicles include specific 2001 Ford and Honda models. In addition, Honda will be recommending SAE 5W-20 motor oil for most 1996-2000 Civics and 1998-2000 Accords.[/b]

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by g-cubed

where did you get the redline from?[/b]
Pro-Am, a race shop here in Houston. Their website lists dealers around the world.
www.redlineoil.com

If you find this to be too expensive, Amsol makes a 5W-20 synth. and Mobil has a 0W-20 that works as well. Both of those are around 5.99 a quart.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Redline Oil Change 5W-20

After about 24 hours driving in a variety of conditions, I feel I have a better impression of the Redline oil, or more specifically, what a 5W-20 synthetic feels like. First, I can say now that the car rev’s faster than it did with the 5W-30. The sound is about the same as before, and I notice a little bit more pickup off a deadstop. It might be my imagination, but I also think the car shifts better as well, which is weird b/c there should be no correlation between my engine oil and my transmission, unless as stated before the faster rev’s are helping line up the syncros better. Gas mileage is still up in the air, I need more time to evaluate that. But based on what I’ve seen, I would recommend that if your going to change your oil to Synthetic, go with a 5W-20 / 0W-20. I have found that currently, only redline makes a 5W-20 synthetic, but Amsol and Mobil 1 make a 0W-20 which matches our specs. Is Redline worth the extra $4? Had I done more research I prolly would have gone with something slightly cheaper like the Amsol or Mobil, but until today I thought Redline was the only game in town. I think this real issue in the difference I feel is the viscosity, so any synthetic with similar properties should give you the same effect. I haven’t found the Mobil or Amsol product outside the internet, but both run about $5 a quart, which is about on par with any other synthetic. I’d appreciate peoples thoughts on this, since it’s enough of a difference that it makes the car even more enjoyable to drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts