Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Ok to use Redline MT-90 tranny fluid on the 06 MS6 trans? Is this tranny similar to the V6 tranny as far as for location of drain and fill plugs?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone use this one...??
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90

·
Registered
147 Posts
I heard rumors that the redline is'nt good because its fully synthetic...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard rumors that the redline is'nt good because its fully synthetic...
[/b]
java script:emoticon(':huh:', 'smid_8')
:huh:

OK. its bad because its synthetic. Yeah, that'll float.

By the way, the mobil oil you're looking at is a GL5 oil, you can't use it in our transmissions, but you car use it in the diff and PTO. I've always used redline in my transmissions. I've never had one fail except when I was pushin 420hp in my SE-R. Bye bye 3rd gear.

You have to use GL-4 oil in this transmission because of what the synchros are made out of. GL-5 additives corrode the synchros in GL-4 transmissions.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have had it in my both of my 6's for well over a year, still looking good and the shifts are still smooth and effortless!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does Redline MT90 go in the rear diff. and PTO unit too?
[/b]

Alan,

Yes, I put the MT-90 in the transmission and 75W-90 in the rear end and
transfer case (pto). I think it's an excellent product and would highly
recommend changing over. Make sure you use the 75W-90 and not the
75W-90NS it will ruin your rear end. I initially read JimboSan's post on the
subject. I think it was 2.6 Quarts of MT-90 for the transmission and 1.3 Quarts
for the differential and 1.1 Quarts for the transfer case. The differential had
quite a bit of metal filings on the magnetic drain plug and the original lubricant
almost looked a silver colour when it was drained. The filings are completely
normal so don't worry when you drain it, it O.K.

JimboSan said he gained about 1.5 MPG just from changing to the synthetics, that's
a bonus I didn't even think of.

Regards,

Rocket 6. :drive:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan,
Yes, I put the MT-90 in the transmission and 75W-90 in the rear end and
transfer case (pto). I think it's an excellent product and would highly
recommend changing over. Make sure you use the 75W-90 and not the
75W-90NS it will ruin your rear end. I initially read JimboSan's post on the
subject. I think it was 2.6 Quarts of MT-90 for the transmission and 1.3 Quarts
for the differential and 1.1 Quarts for the transfer case. The differential had
quite a bit of metal filings on the magnetic drain plug and the original lubricant
almost looked a silver colour when it was drained. The filings are completely
normal so don't worry when you drain it, it O.K.
JimboSan said he gained about 1.5 MPG just from changing to the synthetics, that's
a bonus I didn't even think of.
Regards,
Rocket 6. :drive:
[/b]
Is the drain and fill plug at the same location as the V6 tranny? Also does the plug use an allen wrench or socket wrench?? I'm changing my tranny oil this weekend, just want to be sure.
Thanks...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got the MT90 for the Transmission, I purchased 75w90 Redline for the differential. Is there something recommended for the transfer case?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the drain and fill plug at the same location as the V6 tranny? Also does the plug use an allen wrench or socket wrench?? I'm changing my tranny oil this weekend, just want to be sure.
Thanks...
[/b]
If you havent done it yet...

It is not the same as the v6. Vs are the 2 allen key bolts, on the speed6 look for the two big hex bolts, one is on the front the drain is on the back lower. They are 23mm i believe. I did not have a 23mm but had a 15/16 that worked out fine. You will need and open end wrench to get at the drain bolt.

I got the MT90 for the Transmission, I purchased 75w90 Redline for the differential. Is there something recommended for the transfer case?
[/b]

Its all in your manual too. Transfer case is GL-5 80W90, rear diff 80W90 or 75W90 GL-5

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you havent done it yet...

It is not the same as the v6. Vs are the 2 allen key bolts, on the speed6 look for the two big hex bolts, one is on the front the drain is on the back lower. They are 23mm i believe. I did not have a 23mm but had a 15/16 that worked out fine. You will need and open end wrench to get at the drain bolt.
Its all in your manual too. Transfer case is GL-5 80W90, rear diff 80W90 or 75W90 GL-5
[/b]
I meant what would be the recommended synthetic products? I have heard 75w90 Redline or Mobil 1 Gear oil is fine for the differentual, but dont know for sure what would be used in the transfer case. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I meant what would be the recommended synthetic products? I have heard 75w90 Redline or Mobil 1 Gear oil is fine for the differentual, but dont know for sure what would be used in the transfer case. Thanks.
[/b]
Use the same oil in the transfer case as the diff. Read man.

·
Registered
431 Posts
What do you guys think of Redline MTL for the transmission as an option to the 75W90 ?

LMK..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does anyone know of a good place to order the Redline stuff online?
[/b]
http://myoilshop.com/ Is where i ordered it when i had my old 6 great website and product the difference was night and day.

·
Registered
167 Posts
[/b]

gregy,

MT90 -Transmission

75W-90-Transfer Case(PTO)

75W-90-Differential

Fill Plug-Highest level of each part.

Drain Plug-Lowest level of each part.

I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 as I read somewhere that Mobil 1 wasn't a true synthetic and can only be sold as a true synthetic through a loop hole in terminology. :nono: I wished I could remember where I read it and what the circumstances were, but it also covered the Castrol Syntec under the same article, not a true 100% Synthetic. I went with the Redline product myself and I'm quite pleased with it.

Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

·
Registered
108 Posts
gregy,

MT90 -Transmission

75W-90-Transfer Case(PTO)

75W-90-Differential

Fill Plug-Highest level of each part.

Drain Plug-Lowest level of each part.

I wouldn't use the Mobil 1 as I read somewhere that Mobil 1 wasn't a true synthetic and can only be sold as a true synthetic through a loop hole in terminology. :nono: I wished I could remember where I read it and what the circumstances were, but it also covered the Castrol Syntec under the same article, not a true 100% Synthetic. I went with the Redline product myself and I'm quite pleased with it.

Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:
[/b]
I recall it being the other way around, that mobil wasnt happy with castrol calling their products synthetic when they were not a true synthetic like mobil. Castrol was able to get away with it with some sort of loophole (processing method or something). So castrol could keep calling their stuff synthetic.

My memory could be wrong though...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts