Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Redfire mustache painted

Stretchsje - looks good. I'm about to do this to my Yellow 6s once the spare grill gets here (Thanks Joboy!!)

Two questions. The one thing I notice when playing the stereo (Bose) is that the doors will sometimes buzz with enough bass. Do you have that issue, and having had the panels off - do you have any idea what might be causing it. I'd hate to take mine off trying to fix 'em only to get it wrong.

Second - did you have that ding taken care of? How'd it come out?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Ruefus: Stretch's set up sounded good! I was at the meet yesterday and got to check his car out. Painted mustache actually looks good in person. Thought the matching was excellent. I have the Bose as well, and yes, you're right, the doors vibrate too much. IMO, the door speakers produce more bass than the [email protected] subwoofer on the rear deck. When I came back from the meet, I poked around with the amp under the passenger seat to see what I would be dealing with. I'd like to tinker with the audio system and, at most, change everything but the head unit. Will need some schematics to figure out the wiring as the bose, of course, has a proprietary connector into the little amp under the seat. <sigh> If you don't want to tinker too much, I'd suggest some line filters, say 120Hz, for the doors. That'll leave the low bass production up to the sub. Unfortunately, I fear this will cut down on your bass because the sub seems to be severely underpowered. :( Good luck.

Also, I have some pics of the amp and connector that I can post on Wed, hopefully. My CF card reader is acting up so I can't get access to the 80 or so pics of my car I've taken in the last week. Arggggh! :)

Stretch: What size sub did you have in your system? And any idea where I might get ahold of the wiring schematics for the bose? I could splice into the connector under the seat and never have to get into the dash. Would simplify things, at least initially.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Kyler- I have a 12" Infinity Reference series 1201w woofer (from memory).

It's a bottom-feeder as far as subwoofers go. I'd recommend something from Adire audio- I've used their products for home audio, and they're simply the best I know. http://www.adireaudio.com

Sounds like your installation should be pretty simple, which is good news. An aftermarket amplifier will fit easily under the seat- that's where mine is. You're best bet is to get an amplifier that does the filtration for you- biamping a system will sound better than using a crossover filter to remove the bass from the door panels. Nearly all amplifiers have this nowadays anyway.

I think I'm going to try moving my subwoofer to the spare tire well. File that one under "future projects".

Ruefus- I had the body shop try to take the ding out. They didn't have the "real" tools to do it without painting, but they tried a "ding king" looking thing and it didn't work. It pulled it out a bit, but I still have a crease from where the door impacted. It didn't "pop" as I had hoped.

Still, anyone at the Mazda meet notice?

BTW, I picked up my rear mud guards on the way to the meet. Installed them today. Look nice- like an accent piece for the rear. It fills it out a bit, definately, and makes the car look a little tougher.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Did not notice. :D Seriously.

You'll have to let me know where you got the mustache painted. For $50, I'm thinking about doing it too. Looks much sportier.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I've always liked the sports grills and the stock ones, I'm not a huge fan of the painted one. To each his own! :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Anybody willing to try to "remove" the visible joints between the mustashe and the front bumper? :) I think that would look cool. I don't know the tirm in english but in sweden it's called spackel ;D Or maybe epoxy or something to smear in the joints and paint it over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts