Mazda 6 Forums banner

Recurring oil pan gasket leak

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ignatius Reilly 
#1 ·
Having a funny issue with my wagon and wondering if anyone has input.

I replaced my oil pan gasket back in August when I did the timing cover gasket, and it started leaking again almost immediately in the area directly behind the downstream oxygen sensor on the front bank, slightly to the left of the oil filter. I chalked it up to me just not cleaning properly or something and didn't worry too much about it as it gradually got worse.

Fast forward to this month, I replaced it once more when I was in there for the catalytic converters, taking my time to really clean the mating surfaces and torquing everything to spec. Well what do you know, it's started leaking again in the same spot. I'd think it was something leaking down, but everything above the oil pan is dry. It stays dry for a few weeks after replacement, then gradually increases until I start getting drips on the pavement.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I'm doing a crappy job with the silicone at the joint with the timing cover (I used high temp red RTV) but that doesn't seem to be where it's leaking. Both times I used a Fel-Pro gasket kit, so that may be a factor as well.

Not a huge deal, I know there's probably no such thing as a dry Duraleak at this point, but wondering if anyone else has run into something like this.

See less See more
#8 ·
Welp you were exactly correct. Upon closer inspection I found a small crack where the leak originated but was totally invisible with the pan off the car. No idea how I cracked it but one junkyard pan later (and a lot of cursing about having to remove the exhaust yet again) the car is drip-free for the first time during my ownership.

#3 ·
Not on this specific car, but you should be using grey RTV, not high temp stuff.

#6 ·
Not on this specific car, but you should be using grey RTV, not high temp stuff.
Can I ask what makes the grey a better fit? Not doubting you just trying to understand since I also used the red stuff on the timing cover 🙄

Was hoping I missed something stupid but just one of those things I guess. I see the OEM gasket uses a metal frame, maybe if it gets bad enough to bother me at some point I'll pick up one of those instead.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.