Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might fall into the newbie section :sarc:

But I've done some searching, and found only one thread here http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=40215&hl= which actually had some recommendations for spark plugs for a 6i!

But out of the ones on that site, are any really recommended? I'd like something that might fall into a category of "better" than the stocks, but also must be plug and play :)

Does anyone have anything good to say about the plugs they've used in their 6i or have any recommendations?

Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
there really, honestly, isn't anything that is really an upgrade to stock at this point. the stock plugs work damn well, so it's up to you. i've been running some version of the NGK in the car for the last 2+ years i guess, and they work great....but i just get them cause they are cheaper and i can order colder plugs pretty easily.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Actually I now running for experiment some iridium Denso spark plugs because OEM and NGK is killed by 98 fuel here in 2-3 month (nearly 10-15K km).
120 octane kills plugs in few days...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did read that as well in my searching MrTea, that the stock plugs are decent. I guess I can just get them from the dealer or one of the online Mazda marketplaces :)

So Koya, you're testing to see how long the plugs last on higher octanes?

·
Registered
281 Posts
2 terigox
In europe minimum octane for M6 is 95
I drive 98 because I got 6i that can't go with 95, it feels like shit with 95, and when you uses 98 or 102 it feels great.
OEM sparks dies in verry short time... expecially when I go to track...
So I searching alternatives... this can be useful for you too... when somebody will go to HO fuel...

PS in europe octane number alittle different from USA

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
yeah, the BEST we get here in Cali is equivalent to your 95 octane. 98 and 102 come in at about 93 & 97 octane....that would be nice, though pricey.

i like my NGK's, don't get me wrong, i recommend them.....but not for preformance gains. they keep the same performance for less price than motorcraft...so go for it. though i don't run it all the time, i've run full weekend track days on a 95 octane mix without issues, so if you are worried about playing from time to time, you are going to be fine with the NGK's.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the NGK's are ok for "normal" driving? Day to day to work and back and frequent spirited?

I'll have to compare the prices to the stock mazda plugs, if they are around the same price, I don't see why I wouldn't go for them :)

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i think i got them for like $4 less per plug than the motorcrafts....that's why i got em. right now i have 4 sets of plugs that i use, only 1 of them isn't NGK....they are great for daily driving as well as track time. i've done 9 track days NGK's without ever having a plug issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, good info :)

I'm guessing, plug wires are about the same? Not much performance gains in them?

Any recommendations there Tea?

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i had Nology make wires for my car a few years back, they were fine. idle felt a bit smoother, that's about it. they are actually just sitting in the garage right now as i prefer running the stock ones at this point....and i'm running 15psi. the nology wires are a pain on the dyno, so i just get annoyed. they are more a looks mod rather than performance....they are up for grabs if anyone in socal is interested.

magnacore has some too....but don't look for power. even teh mazda's and focus' that run in World Challenge and USTCC run the stock wires.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts