Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace the plugs on my 04 6s with 86000 miles. The car is basically stock it has a K&N filter ,Air box mod and thinking about doing the egr mod when I pull the intake off to do the plugs. Just wanted to see what plugs I should use to replace the old ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Since your car is mostly stock, it doesn't appear you have any issues with the OEM plugs, so I'd say just replace with the OEM Motorcraft plugs. Stay as far away as you possibly can from NGK Iridiums though, they were horrid in my car. However, if you do have the urge to go aftermarket, I'd recommend the WeaponX spark plugs. Been running them for a few months now and love em!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Motorcraft plugs are great. NGK, regulars, are good as well, but more expensive. I ran Motorcrafts in my Talon most of the time, partly because they are good, partly cause it was easier to get a colder plug for higher boost.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since your car is mostly stock, it doesn't appear you have any issues with the OEM plugs, so I'd say just replace with the OEM Motorcraft plugs. Stay as far away as you possibly can from NGK Iridiums though, they were horrid in my car. However, if you do have the urge to go aftermarket, I'd recommend the WeaponX spark plugs. Been running them for a few months now and love em!
I really like the sound of the WeaponX spark plugs. :) What cables did you get to go along with the plugs?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Im curious as to what problems you had with the NGK Iridums?
Ive had a set in for about a year with no problems, cpe intake, cpe headers, optimized throttle body, egr mod.
But then again my car ran horrible with weapon x coils, hmm, it seems that the 6 might have its own personality:eek:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've ran with the NGK Irdium IX on my last two changes. I've had no issues what so ever and the car ran excellent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your referring to spark plug cables, are cars don't use them, we have coil packs.
Oh. Well that's a good piece of info to know lol. Do you replace those along with the spark plugs? If so, whats a good brand to go with?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
OEM... for coils AND plugs. All the hype isn't worth the money. Motorcraft plugs are damn good and 3 to 4 times less than NGK's. The only place you might be able to tell any difference (other than the wallet) is on a dyno. This is assuming you dont race at the track a lot either, and im not talking test and tune night.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used NGK GP Platinum spark plugs.

They cost roughly the same as Motorcraft/Autolites.

They work at least as well if not better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since i'm going to be replacing my plugs should I consider replacing the coils. My car has 87000 miles on it and there don't seem to be any problems with the original coils but if i'm going to be in there thought this might be a good time to replace them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't you have to reprogram the ecu when you switch to Iridium? If you didn't that may be why they're shitty.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've ran with the NGK Irdium IX on my last two changes. I've had no issues what so ever and the car ran excellent.
Last 2 changes? How many miles do you have on your car?

I did my first change at 110,000 miles (yes a little over the 100,000) and am coming up on 200,000 miles now. I went with Bosch Platinum+2 which have worked as well as the originals so far.

Scott

·
Registered
146 Posts
im using Bosch platinum+4 and love them. i could tell the difference at idle as soon as i started it up. driving down the road it seemed to be smoother but i changed to synthetic oil at the same time and that could be the reason. so far i have around 35k on the plugs (before cat failure) and i see no wear what so ever. im planing on using them till 50k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I changed from motocraft plugs to bosch platinum+4 and noticed no power difference in my car, or my 1993 1500 chevy C v6..I wanted to get the NGK's but Autozone didn't have them. They idle smoothe enough, but as far as performance?...I wouldn't recommend them.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have a full set of 6 NGK Iridium plugs if you'd like to buy them... my dealer missed the plugs sitting on my seat and installed the set from his own stock

they're brand new!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Bosche makes garbage plugs..
I've been using them in various cars for 20 years and not had any issues and that includes a pair of RX-7's (1979 and 1980) which typically can't use normal spark plugs since they fire 3 times for every rotation of the rotor and require a special spark plug.

1979 RX-7 100,000 miles (200,000 miles total mileage on car)
1980 RX-7 100,000 miles (200,000 miles total mileage on car)
1987 Mazda 626GT turbo 265,000 miles (355,000 miles total mileage on car)
1996 Ford Contour Sport 100,000 miles (161,000 miles total mileage on car)
2004 Mazda 6s 100,000 miles (199,500 miles total mileage on car)

So far I've put 665,000 miles mostly on the original style Bosch Platinum plugs (only used the +2 on my 6) and my experience is that they work very well. I'm guessing you've had some bad experience with them?

I have replaced my plugs atleast 4 times now at 128k. I stick to NGK coppers
Why so many times? Admittedly I don't do anything particularly hard with my car except for the mileage (500 miles per week) but I didn't feel any difference in performance after changing them nor did I get a change in gas mileage.

Scott

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Why so many times? Admittedly I don't do anything particularly hard with my car except for the mileage (500 miles per week) but I didn't feel any difference in performance after changing them nor did I get a change in gas mileage.

Scott
Track days and a few testing events

Ive had a vac line break here and there and well I'm at it, 20 bucks in plugs is more than worth it to me.

Copper plugs foul easier than platinum. They do however not have the problems with pre-ignition like platinum plugs do So they are only good for ~30-50k at best. We use them in our race cars and weed wackers and everything inbetween. We even use NGK copper plugs in our remote control boats and grandpa's Tractors.

Bosche plugs have been some of the crappiest plugs I have used on other cars, and I wouldn't even consider them for the 6. if I stepped out from NGK, it would be back to motorcraft.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts