Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchase a 2003 mazda6 V6 auto, i'm thinking about doing some modification to it but i have no idea where to start everything is still stock in the car.. where to i start help me build my 6

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Cold Air intake, go with the CPE mafci. Its the most expensive but worth it. Optimized Throttle body from TwoWheelin/Cordova Motorsports. CatBack Exhaust (no gains but good change of sound). Id strongly suggest headers if you have over say 90k on the car because there have been a lot of 3.0 failures due to plugged precats. The lower wishbone motor mount is a nice addition as well.

Maintenance wise, Id change the PCV, spark plugs, fluids, etc.

Really just :search: and all of your mod needs will be filled here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2003 Mazda 6 ATX stuff to do.

It depends on what your desires are. You MUST flush the for shit Jatco 5sp. ATX and refill w/Amsoil, Redline, or Mobil 1 Mercon V ATX fluid and add the biggest trans cooler you can find. You will need 12+ quarts to power flush the trans. You also Must add a inline trans filter to the trans lines NOW. Look for the mod in this forum. The weak links are the Jatco trans, the front brakes (too small) the pre-cats and the PCV valve (motor killers), the Throttle body (2003), the EGR valve, the coils, the cloth seat covers, the radiator fan control module, and the motor mounts. If your car has 70-80K miles change the PCV valve NOW and shop for a replacement header and Cat-back exhaust system ASAP as if the precats fail it will eat out your motor within a month as it did mine. The chances are good that with any header option you will throw CELs relating to the Bank2 O2 sensors so read up on that issue BEFORE you purchase. The coils will fail and replace them with Weapon X stuff. Weapon X coils like to eat up the pricey Irduim plugs. If you have the S model 17" 5 spoke alloy OEM wheelset think of swapping to the MazdaSpeed 6 front brake system as I did. Use slotted rotors (cyrogenticly treated if possible) only as drilled are just for show. I am using CarboTech pads. All Mazda 6 17" wheel equipped cars should have come this way OEM. You will not regret it. The CP-E non-tunable intake (low to mid grade gas) is very good, but the filter MUST have the rain sock on in. Water on the air filter and freezing causing intake starvation is why the MazdaSpeed intake was recalled. Be very careful with underbody options at car washes with any CAI. The Fluidampdr is good also. For handling upgrades try the Koni (rebound adjustable only option on Konis) or Bilstein shocks, Racing Beat suspension springs and sway bars, but you MUST upgrade the end links as you will have bend-break-endless retighting issues with the OEM endlinks and trim the bumpstops down. The rear travel is the problem area with full loads. Once the suspension is stiffened up you had best start stiffing the chassis also and the best is from GT Spec. and AutoExe. The wheel offset is almost off the chart so if your 2003 paint is old and getting brittle like mine, rolling the fenders is out of the question so a 50+ offset acces. wheelset is tough to find. The problem area will be the rear outside lip zone. 8" wide wheels are very tricky. This is a first area rust out zone also. 224/45-40x17-18 will be your tire max. The car runs hot and is a bit heavy so change all fluids to synthetic, change them often, and have at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just bought msds headers and a GReddy evo 2 exhaust system. I was wondering what other engine upgrades i could do (besides a turbo or supercharger) that would be worht it. I was thinking of a better camshaft and throttle body? what are your thougths and please let me know where i could get these parts.GReddy EVO2 Catback Exhaust Mazda 6 V6

·
Registered
253 Posts
rdo1953, you should definetly get a new keyboard with a functionnal enter key for carriage return when you type, my head hurst!

as for cjhmazda6, I'd go with the CPE intake with maf adapter as this is the second best improvement right after the msds headers

·
Registered
12 Posts
for the CPE intake, should i get it with the tunable option or bypass module or both or neither? i'm definately buying hte rain sleeve for it. I'm just not sure what the difference between tunable and non tunable options are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cold Air intake, go with the CPE mafci. Its the most expensive but worth it. Optimized Throttle body from TwoWheelin/Cordova Motorsports. CatBack Exhaust (no gains but good change of sound). Id strongly suggest headers if you have over say 90k on the car because there have been a lot of 3.0 failures due to plugged precats. The lower wishbone motor mount is a nice addition as well.

Maintenance wise, Id change the PCV, spark plugs, fluids, etc.

Really just :search: and all of your mod needs will be filled here.
i dont really know where to look for this and i know this thread is old but might as well put my first post somewhere, do you know where i can find any performance coils for my my 03 6 s? i read about the granatellies but cant find them anywhere or the msd stacker 8 any help would be great thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
So you paid $6,000 for the car and will pay $11,000 in modifications (and the ACV of the car will remain at around 5K). So there you go. Enjoy those Koni shocks (assuming you ever actually get the car on the road...)!

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
Lower bone mount

Trans cooler

intake

headers

stick to OEM or mustang 4v coils

Def flush the trans, you might also consider adding an inline trans filter for serviceability.

suspension work

there is so much more out there. I would advise the list in that order of where to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts