Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a way to workaround getting a trailer hitch on the 2018 and up models? The frame is the same but they now put the muffler under the frame access. I can't use my hitch from the 2015 model I had, but when I look up 2018 it lists the exact same hitch.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Try Mazda Australia website. I'm serious... But of course shipping will be $$$... but I think their product is cool. They call it a "towbar".

https://www.mazda.com.au/accessory-pack/GJACTB1

I should note that the cost is in Australian $, and it represents a "fitted" price... meaning an installed price. Also, it includes their wiring kit. This hitch is available without wiring kit for about $515 AUD... and without the ball which may be 50mm versus our standard 50.8mm / 2" dia.

It appears to me that in Australia they had the same styling etc. update North America had for model year 2018.

I am planning to source one from there for my '17 Sport... and pairing it up with a US supplied Tekonsha plug n play "isolator" giving me a "flat-four". The Mazda Australia wiring kit requires cutting and splicing wires... but not so for the Tekonsha. Plug and play...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Bunch more photos. Not all are for the Mazda6... some are from the Mazda3 line... but are the same feature, for the 6.

Note a couple of things:

- Hitch fabricator, commissioned by Mazda Australia, cyclically tests the hitch to (fatigue) failure... both with a finite-element digital model and also with a test rig;

- Receiver tube has a threaded-in machine screw + a jam-nut so that once male part is inserted into the receiver tube, the machine screw is tighted up against it (and the jam-nut is snugged-up). This significantly reduces or eliminates hitch rattle.

- Also, info re the Tekonsha electrical system isolator.... very, very important to prevent you from frying your Body Control Module (BCM) - if a trailer electrical fault occurs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$985AUD? OUCH!! That's not including shipping either. Great thought, nice design but not affordable Hopefully Mazda USA decides to import this in.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hopefully Mazda USA decides to import this in.
Mazda USA and Canada say "... this vehicle is not suitable for towing (any weight of trailer)..." Rest of the world: NP. Same car, same engine, same gearing, same transmission. Gasoline engine car rated for 1500 kg trailer (braked) / 600 kg (unbraked) in Australia, if memory serves. (3300 lbs. / 1320 lbs.)

·
Registered
901 Posts
Using a hitch for a bike rack is NOT towing. Just saying.
Hell, I want my hitch for towing my 500 lb. empty, oh, 800 lbs (total) loaded-with-garden-wastes / greenery utility trailer DOWN HILL to the Vancouver South Transfer Station. I am NOT letting any litigation-shy North American (subsidiary) company tell me I cannot, here, in North America yet the Parent Co. tells the rest of the world it is OK!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts