Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looks like it's been about the prerequisite 2-years between rearview camera threads, so I figured I'd start another flamebait thread looking for a good option.

Regardless of what some may think (I've read the old threads on the topic) , the cameras have advantages . . . so it's definitely on the table. Here's what I'm looking for:
1) An upside-down mount (next to the trunk release request switch) that looks totally OEM
2) Wide Angle
3) IR/Night vision
4) Park assist would be nice but totally optional

NO LICENSE PLATE CAMERAS NEED APPLY :p

This has the appearance I'm looking for:
avelectronic camera type two

But at $200, it better have all the bells and whistles and be an exact fit . . .

Other suggestions?

Thanks guys :)

-Ernie

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't think it serves much purpose in a car, but I have to admit I may consider putting on in some day. I'd like to do a CarPC eventually, and a camera would be a cool addition to that...just for the cool factor.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plate cams are way too Wal-Mart :eek:

There's lots of reasons Dell; my wife has one on the Tribeca and if you aim it right, parallel parking (without practicing) is a total breeze. The "lower picture" is always nice, regardless of how "visible" the rear is . . . then there's the monitoring factor (my nav allows "rearview mode".

At some point you can also connect a rear scrolling LEDs (this part needs a passenger) "ATTENTION KCD 1134: I SEE YOU, I'M JUST IGNORING YOU" :D :D :D "ABC 134: FIND VIDEO AT YOUDRIVELIKECRAP.ORG"

I'm kidding about that last part, but I can dream ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Parallel parking is moronic. The pretense that you STOP in traffic, then back up is totally beyond most (city) drivers ability to cope with.

That said, a camera can't hurt :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Plate cams are way too Wal-Mart :eek:

There's lots of reasons Dell; my wife has one on the Tribeca and if you aim it right, parallel parking (without practicing) is a total breeze. The "lower picture" is always nice, regardless of how "visible" the rear is . . . then there's the monitoring factor (my nav allows "rearview mode".

At some point you can also connect a rear scrolling LEDs (this part needs a passenger) "ATTENTION KCD 1134: I SEE YOU, I'M JUST IGNORING YOU" :D :D :D "ABC 134: FIND VIDEO AT YOUDRIVELIKECRAP.ORG"

I'm kidding about that last part, but I can dream ;)
Ha...that last thing is something I've actually wanted to do. Imagine the face of a tailgater behind you when they see "BACK THE FUCK OFF, BITCH!" scrolling across your back window.

I never parallel park the way you're supposed to, so that's not really an issue for me. Down here, we just sorta pull in forwards if we see an open spot. In fact, in driving school, my instructor only covered parallel parking once, and after about two attempts, I got it in there, so we moved on. I agree that the whole stopping in traffic and reversing thing is moronic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to be awesome at it until I owned a 1988 cougar. After that I avoided it. I was surprised last summer when I slid the wife's Tribeca into a slot like it was nothing. It's also shorter than the 6 though.

The text display is a nice idea, but like the horn, I'm usually gone faster than it'd take to use. The camera is just another gadget, I'll admit. :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just as Ernie said: The text display is a nice idea, but like the horn, I'm usually gone faster than it'd take to use. The camera is just another gadget, I'll admit. :D

I agree with you. The rear view camera is a gadget. Mine is almost same with you.With IR/night vision, and my rear view mirror can also work as a monitor which display the image of the rear view via this camera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts