Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for my rear wheels (stockers) to stick to the rear rotors/hubs? The rotors are still stock, as well.

The wheels stick to the point that I don't feel safe tugging on the them unless the car is on jack stands. On a single jack I'm afraid I would rock it to the point of falling. When I had my new tires put on, the installer had to take a rubber mallet to the rears (both sides) to get them off as I watched.

Any thoughts on cause?

Any recommendations on cleaning/treatment to prevent it?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Its completely normal, and typically happens in colder weather for some reason. Rubber mallet is the best option to get them off, just ensure the car is safely resting on jack stands and you'll be fine. It really doesn't take too much effort to pop them off the hub, just hit on both sides of the wheel/tire back and forth.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I ussually get stuck wheels off with a dead blow hammer. (the rubber hammers with the metal weight inside) I just hit the spokes and the wheel generally comes off. I had this problem the first time I took my wheels off, right after I had them all off I put some antiseize on the hubs and now I have never had a problem since.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Yeah, I totally use the antiseize compound on the face of the rotors that mate to the rear surface of the rims. I haven't had a sticking problem since.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...fast response. Thanks, ya'll.

I'll try some anti-seize when I have them off again (rotation/balance coming up in a few weeks).

Out of curiousity, any thoughts on what causes this? My fronts never stick, just the rears.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow...fast response. Thanks, ya'll.

I'll try some anti-seize when I have them off again (rotation/balance coming up in a few weeks).

Out of curiousity, any thoughts on what causes this? My fronts never, stick, just the rears.
[/b]
Back wheels usually get more debris and moisture kicked up by the front wheels.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Im cheap so the last time my wheels stuck I used a hammer wrapped with a large towel to convince my rear wheels to let go :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts