Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know the secret of how to remove the rear view mirror from the inside of the windscreen?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Rear view mirror:'

I once removed one with my friends head. Hit stone wall around 45 mph....but that was a VW Rabbit. Not sure if it will work on the six but it might be worth a try. :sarc

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Rear view mirror:

You probably hav eto remove the plastic panel on the inside of the door and then screw it of. you problably have to remvo wireing from inside the door panel if you want to add "M3-mirrors" or something uncontrollable.

·
Registered
657 Posts

ummm... Rearview. :)

I'm guessing here, but I'd say a heat gun would probably do the trick, but don't take my word for it. Might I ask why you'd want to take it off?

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Have to be careful especially if its in cold weather when you apply a heat gun to cold glass.. Just a word of caution :)

I believe by heating up the glue will remove it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Ask your dealer before you do anything like that. But why remove it? Are you gonna put in an aftermarket mirror?

If you go for A Mazda one, doesn't the foot fit?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Why remove? Don't really want to--but a stone chip damaged the winsdcreen recently and I may have to get it replaced. If I do, I'll need to get the mirror transferred to the new screen. But my local 'glass replacement man' wasn't confident about how to remove the mirror without breaking it. Surprising really seeing as it's his job. Since I don't want to have to buy another mirror as well as a new screen, I thought I'd try to find out for him...

·
Registered
736 Posts

Not trying to be an ass about it but if he's not capable of sticking the mirror back onto a new windshield, do you really feel comfortable having him replace the entire windshield?

·
Registered
178 Posts

I sell a handsfree cell phone kit where I work that is a stock mirror replacement on a car. I have seem some dumbasses put it on their car. Use a heat gun if it is not cold out. If it is cold out, park the car outside over night so the glass gets cold, like 20 to 25 degrees. Then, before the sun comes up, just tap the base of the mirror (not the glass) with the handle of a screwdriver. It will pop right off.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

Not trying to be an ass about it but if he's not capable of sticking the mirror back onto a new windshield, do you really feel comfortable having him replace the entire windshield?[/b]
Yes, I'm sure he should be able to stick it on okay--but it's getting the mirror OFF the existing shield that concerns me here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts