Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at swapping out the "absolutely fantastic" :rolleyes: headunit that comes stock, and would like to replace with a pioneer double din unit. Does anyone know if the stock rearview camera will work with an aftermarket head-unit?
Pioneers rearview camera isnt that terrible looking, but Id like to keep it stock looking if possible

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to this too if possible. I have changed my radio out but I didn't touch the camera stuff because I didn't know if it was possible.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It does work. I don't remember the colors but there is an older thread somewhere in here. I used a 12v to 6v converter (that i also use on Toyota cameras) to bring my camera voltage down, but others have fed straight 12v to the camera. I have had my Alpine installed and connected to the camera for almost 2 years now and it works great!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Here's a pinout I found...somewhere after a few hours of digging around. Like NCMazda6 said, you'll need a 12v>6v converter (find on ebay) and custom RCA cable (Find a cheap one, cut one end off, wire it to the factory camera, plug RCA end into H/U)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up using an aftermarket "wedge" type camera that essentially looks exactly like the stock one, and wired it to the Pioneer as you would for any aftermarket backup cam. I used a t-clamp thingy off one of the backup lights as my signal wire and used the ground to my amp to prevent the need to run another wire to the front of the car.

From my understanding, there are adapters to connect to the stock plug, but there really was no need for it. I got the same functionality for about $0.40 in materials compared to $30+ for another adapter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ncmadza6 & Chutoyy thank you for the info. I had instant notifications on for this but I guess it never emailed me to let me know people was responding.

Chawski you say you got a wedge type camera that looks exactly like the stock one that had to cost some money right? I would like to get the stock one working that way I can easily revert back to it if I do decide to sell the car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok, i'll bite. Pioneer AVH5700BHS

Edit: Make a harness like the one on the left and you can use your factory backup camera (still very useless when it rains). The black box is a 12v to 6v step down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
hey guys

Wanna raise this from the dead. I am trying to use the stock backup cam w/ an aftermarket HU, and I still am not getting how this works. What strikes me as odd is that it appears in the stock system, the HU provides the voltage to the cam, not the reverse light! I looked at the wiring diagram for the backup camera, and nowhere does it tie into the reverse light. So in the stock system, it must know you are backing up some other way (how??).

With an aftermarket unit, I have a reverse trigger wire. That EXPECTS 12V from the reverse light. It does not supply voltage. So that 6V that the camera needs to power on must come from either a constant source (like the HU), or even better a source that only turns on when going in reverse (the reverse light).

So I got the camera to work w/ my HU if I feed it 12V from one of my HU wires & couple it w/ the trigger wire. Then I put a step-down transformer to step voltage down to 6V. So it works, BUT the cam is always on because it is using a constant feed.

So someone that has an aftermarket HU working w/ the stock backup cam, please tell me how you make this system work w/o tying into the reverse light? If you DID tie in to the reverse light, where from? I am confident my setup will work as long as I can tie the trigger wire into the reverse light, like you would in a normal backup cam install.

plz help!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
On my car, there was a backup signal wire on the factory harness... I believe it was a white/black wire on the bottom row of the factory harness.

Take a mulitmeter and probe around while shifting into R and N. It should cycle 12v when in R and 0v when in any other gear.

hey guys

Wanna raise this from the dead. I am trying to use the stock backup cam w/ an aftermarket HU, and I still am not getting how this works. What strikes me as odd is that it appears in the stock system, the HU provides the voltage to the cam, not the reverse light! I looked at the wiring diagram for the backup camera, and nowhere does it tie into the reverse light. So in the stock system, it must know you are backing up some other way (how??).

With an aftermarket unit, I have a reverse trigger wire. That EXPECTS 12V from the reverse light. It does not supply voltage. So that 6V that the camera needs to power on must come from either a constant source (like the HU), or even better a source that only turns on when going in reverse (the reverse light).

So I got the camera to work w/ my HU if I feed it 12V from one of my HU wires & couple it w/ the trigger wire. Then I put a step-down transformer to step voltage down to 6V. So it works, BUT the cam is always on because it is using a constant feed.

So someone that has an aftermarket HU working w/ the stock backup cam, please tell me how you make this system work w/o tying into the reverse light? If you DID tie in to the reverse light, where from? I am confident my setup will work as long as I can tie the trigger wire into the reverse light, like you would in a normal backup cam install.

plz help!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
On my car, there was a backup signal wire on the factory harness... I believe it was a white/black wire on the bottom row of the factory harness.

Take a mulitmeter and probe around while shifting into R and N. It should cycle 12v when in R and 0v when in any other gear.
Well seeing as this is the mazda 6 3rd gen forum, you probably have the same car I do ;). I have a '14 Touring model.

So by factory harness, are you referring to the main harness that has the speaker wires? Or one of the other ones. This is frustrating because I have the mazda 6 wiring schematics and they don't show the reverse wire going into the audio unit anywhere. But you gotta think, if the stock HU knew you were going into reverse, it HAD to be on one of those wires. Either that, or it knew you were in reverse by some sort of softlink/datalink.

Thanks for the help. I will try to dig around for this wire. Glad you responded cuz I was going to go back to a harness in the rear of my car to tap into the reverse signal!

btw once I figure this out, I'll post complete instructions so others don't have to struggle like I did/am.

·
Registered
189 Posts
nevermind chutoyy, I got it working!

Okay, so I did find the reverse trigger wire on the main audio harness that has the speakers etc.

It is the red and white wire I highlighted. If you're looking straight on at the harness (pin side), it is the 4th wire from the right on the bottom center row of pins. That wire needs to go to your reverse trigger wire (on my generic android HU it was labeled "back").

The pinout on the first page chutoyy posted is still correct for gen 3 mazda 6.

You need to take 12V from your HU, which for me was on an unused wire called "amp cont". Your HU will likely have a spare 12V wire you can use for extra stuff like this. Worst case, create your own 12V source from something else, just use a multimeter and look for a wire that puts out 12V. That 12V needs to go to the 12V < 6V step-down transformer. Then, just as chutoyy said, cut the end off of an old RCA cable (any RCA-style cable will do), and wire those 2 directly into the harness.

Everyone probably has different ways to get wires into a car harness without the right connector. For me, I used breadboard cables you can get at any hobby shop -

The pin end goes into the connector, and I cut the other end of the cable and soldered/heat shrinked them to the wires I needed. Secured those pins w/ electrical tape lol.

So now the full procedure to install the factory backup cam to an aftermarket HU is out there. If anyone has any questions lemme know.

Thx for your help chutoyy wouldn't have attempted this w/o your info.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Now that I think about it, you could also use that 12V from the reverse light for both powering the cam and going to the trigger wire. In fact that is probably the best implementation instead of what I stated. Only power the camera when needed, which is the way you'd wire up an aftermarket backup cam.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts