Mazda 6 Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

I had the front subframe replaced in my 2011 Mazda 6, through the recall.
My mechanic now says the same level of corrosion appears in the rear subframe. I didn't have the chance to go under it myself and take pictures, but the thought is very disturbing.
Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
Yes I have been going through the same thing. Back in April the control arm fell off the back end on the right side. I ended up having to replace the rear subframe and both control arms with sway bar links. I live in New York. My mechanics found a used one from the south and had it shipped up here. Cost me around $800. Then he said the front subframe was shot as well and that there was a recall so I replaced that through my dealership. They did pay for both control arms as well I had to pay for the sway bar links. There is a lot of rust up underneath this vehicle. The front and rear exhaust valves have so much rust around them that they can't really be replaced so my mechanic had to put putty around them. This is all premature for a car like this my car has 78 k on it. It's a bunch of crap. Everybody needs to be reporting this to the National Highway Traffic and safety administration. Hopefully Mazda will recall the back end as well. Not holding my breath

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
This is all premature for a car like this my car has 78 k on it.
Mileage has nothing to do with a car rusting away. Thats like saying its impossible to die of a heart attack before youre 80 years old. And with not much respect, you know nothing about what youre talking about. I understand youre mad, but youre asking Mazda to replace something thats rusted due to environment issues. Id bet money that you dont have a garage to park your car in, and never wash it either, that puts a LOT of blame on you. Not that washing it can always counter act oxygen and salt interacting with steel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mileage has nothing to do with a car rusting away. Thats like saying its impossible to die of a heart attack before youre 80 years old. And with not much respect, you know nothing about what youre talking about. I understand youre mad, but youre asking Mazda to replace something thats rusted due to environment issues. Id bet money that you dont have a garage to park your car in, and never wash it either, that puts a LOT of blame on you. Not that washing it can always counter act oxygen and salt interacting with steel.
NOT ACCORDING TO EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,645 Posts
There's no doubt that mileage has very little or nothing to do with it, but having to replace my entire front subframe on my '10 6 when it was only 7 years old, garaged, and washed at least once per week during the winter? Not cool. Not to mention that the rear subframe would've soon been a problem, had I not gotten my '18 instead.

I've had at least a dozen other vehicles in the same climate. The oldest being my '89 S-10 Tahoe, which I ran until the bed and doors rusted clean through! The frame itself, after 12 years and over 150K miles? Still solid.

Yes, rust hits hard, especially in areas where roads are treated with salt. And yeah, 10 years on a car will definitely allow rust to eat through some things, but there are still plenty of 10+ year-old cars on the road that are relatively rust-free, whether babied or neglected. But eating through entire subframes in 7 years (in front) and 8 years (the rear) is virtually unheard of in this day and age. The fact that Mazda released a recall for the front subframe corrosion speaks volumes on how badly the 2nd-gens are basically crumbling from the inside out.

Having said all that, given that it's 2021, getting another safety recall for the rear subframe on a 12-13 year old platform will be a monumental task at best. Your best bet is to register a complaint on the NHTSA website, and hopefully, there may be enough complaints on there to prompt an investigation.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
NOT ACCORDING TO EVERYONE ELSE ON HERE
A whole two or three other people.

Yes, rust hits hard, especially in areas where roads are treated with salt.
Did you see the scale on the underside of her car? Looks like it was pulled out of a lake. This is much more than just subframes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Some steels and steel fabrications have abnormally high propensity to corrode. Plus the initial protection of phosphating and E-coating has, with some mfrs, fallen by the wayside. I know the car is old, but just like the Toyota Tacoma frame issue, this subframe is a bad actor, abnormally so, I expect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
With no respect. You don't know what you're talkin about. Mazda already recalled the whole front end due to premature rust due to Mazda's negligence. They used inferior steel and did not c o a t it properly. The nhtsa investigated them due to all the complaints and discovered that Mazda was negligent. This forum is people that are pissed off they didn't recall the back subframe. Go spend thousands of dollars and then talk to me.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
This forum is people that are pissed off they didn't recall the back subframe.
No, there might be 3 or 4 people in this thread, that was started last year, 9 years after the last model year. Waiting this long is only gonna sound like entitlement, if you got it new and didnt take care of it well. If you got the car recently, its on you for not inspecting it properly. I mean look at the rust on other places on your car, especially the exhaust, no ones gonna look at it and say Mazda is at fault when it looks like you neglected your car that bad. Just my $.02

The rear rotors on my 3 were destroyed within a year after buying it used, cause it sat out in the rain for the 2 months it was at the dealership. I didnt look at it too close cause it was raining and i needed to drive out of there with a car. I didnt even bother calling the dealership, i just replaced them.

Go spend thousands of dollars and then talk to me.
How do you think i got my 6 and 3? From daddy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear crossmember on my wife's 2011 6 rusted and broke last night on the way to dinner. Luckily was only a couple of blocks away from home and I was driving instead of her. Had the front replaced last year on recall. This is premature failure. If the metal was properly protected, this wouldn't be an issue. The car is well taken care of and is far from a neglect problem. Much like the corrosion on my aluminum mustang hood. Cause - manufacturer cutting corners for cost. Despite what Talon thinks, this is a valid manufacturer issue, not some entitlement BS. I've had cars go 145K miles (ZX2 with cam issue), 180K miles (06 mustang, sold & bought newer), 245K miles (E150 conversion van, wore out engine) with less rust on the undercarriage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The rear crossmember on my wife's 2011 6 rusted and broke last night on the way to dinner. Luckily was only a couple of blocks away from home and I was driving instead of her. Had the front replaced last year on recall. This is premature failure. If the metal was properly protected, this wouldn't be an issue. The car is well taken care of and is far from a neglect problem. Much like the corrosion on my aluminum mustang hood. Cause - manufacturer cutting corners for cost. Despite what Talon thinks, this is a valid manufacturer issue, not some entitlement BS. I've had cars go 145K miles (ZX2 with cam issue), 180K miles (06 mustang, sold & bought newer), 245K miles (E150 conversion van, wore out engine) with less rust on the undercarriage.
Same thing happened to me. This guy is an idiot. This should absolutely not be happening to these vehicles. It's dangerous and it's very premature. I was never even notified about the recall on the front end. It wasn't until I replaced the whole back end and my mechanic told me about the front. I started digging around and found out about the recall for the front. I'm glad I figured it out before something really bad happened. Mazda needs to do this recall. Having large chunks of metal fall off your car while you're driving is dangerous I don't care if it's the front or the back. My control arm fell off as I was pulling into a driveway I could not move one inch after that. I had to pay for a tow truck my car was in the shop for weeks and weeks and weeks while we waited for the other subframe to come in. By the time I got done paying for rental car, tow and the repairs I spent $1,135.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've already bought an used rear crossmember thru ebay (LKQonline) from Florida. Supposed to be from a 65K mile car. Once it arrives, I'll strip it, clean it up, sandblast it if needed and coat it with KBS rust seal and paint. I'm in the process of lining up a shop to change it. I've had AAA for many years as I commute ~35 miles to work daily and it has come in handy a few times over the years, so I can have it towed where I need. Having just finished a complete kitchen remodel (completely gutted to the studs), I don't feel comfortable enough financially to junk the car and buy another. Besides, its still in excellent condition except for the crossmember failure and we have a spare car my wife can drive till her 6 is fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stripped and refinished the crossmember. A friend at work has a shop on the side. He picked up the car and hauled it to his shop and R&R the crossmember. I found the bump stops attached to the post that's inside where the spring sits is not available separately, you have to buy a new crossmember to get them. The ones that came with my used crossmember were toast. Luckily the original ones on the car were salvageable. Anyhow, car is back on the road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so happy!! My 2009 Mazda Atenza 3.7L V6 (121K kms) gets to live another day! I thought I was going to have to scrap it. My mechanic said it would not be worth fixing but told me to check with the dealer as there might be a recall on 2009-2010 models and he was right! Soooo thankful he suggested taking it to the dealer. Yesterday, I just got my front cross-member sub-frame (GS4H-34-80XD) replaced under warranty at a dealer in Canada. They also replaced both sway bar links (GJ6A-34-170A and GJ6A-34-150A) that was not covered under warranty, however labour was not charged as it was done as part of the recall to replaced the front subframe / sub-frame.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts