Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It is that time of the year again, the inspection. I took some photos of my problem while the car was at the mechanic. It is very disturbing to see how bad it is. These pictures are from the rear right side.
This time I'll go ahead with the find-a-replacement-frame-from-a-scrapyard route and get this fixed. I don't feel secure to drive this car on a highway anymore... There goes my savings...

I had submitted a claim with the NHTSA a while ago. I know there are other people who did the same and hope this will become another recall and we will all get our money back. But I have my serious doubts... 馃槧

Registered
Does anybody else have rear subframe corrosion problem, Mazda 6 2009-2012?
It would be great if we all could raise voice and reach Mazda to see if they'd consider a follow-up recall for the rear subframe.
Anyone?
My car 2 rear subframe rusted corrosion

Registered
Hi All,

I had the front subframe replaced in my 2011 Mazda 6, through the recall.
My mechanic now says the same level of corrosion appears in the rear subframe. I didn't have the chance to go under it myself and take pictures, but the thought is very disturbing.
Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
Wait a minute.is there a recall on the front subframe of the 2011 mazda6 because that's what I have 2 weeks ago. I had to replace the rear subframe due to rust. And now he's saying the sub frame is rusted out as well.this is extremely expensive for me and I would like to know if there is a recall

Registered
My car 2 rear subframe rusted corrosion
I have a 2011 Mazda 6 I just had to replace the rear subframe. somebody was mentioning on here about a recall on the 2011 front subframe because now that has to be replaced as well. Does anybody know?

Registered
Are they weighing risk... that at least with the frt subframe being rotten steering control will be immediately lost if it structurally breaks-up. Not saying it won't affect strg (never mind brakes) if the rear breaks-up but I'll bet there is a risk calculus going on there...
I've literally pulled into a driveway and the control arm fell off the back of my vehicle it was because of the severe rust on the rear subframe. Now my mechanic is saying that the front subframe was all rusted out as well. I'm glad that I'm finding out that there is a recall at least on the front but this is crap that there is not a recall on the back end as well

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I have a 2011 Mazda 6 I just had to replace the rear subframe. somebody was mentioning on here about a recall on the 2011 front subframe because now that has to be replaced as well. Does anybody know?
Yes, there is a recall on the front subframes only. If you had your front subframe replaced at your own expense, you should be able to be reimbursed. That is, provided the recall is still active. You can check it on mazda website.
For the rear subframe, they still don't have a recall. We all submitted reports for that to the nhtsa. Fingers crossed but I'm personally not hopeful.

Registered
Yeah I just had my rear subframe done.now he is saying the front is shot and I just read this online that there is a open recall. So I hope they fix it

Registered
Does anybody else have rear subframe corrosion problem, Mazda 6 2009-2012?
It would be great if we all could raise voice and reach Mazda to see if they'd consider a follow-up recall for the rear subframe.
Anyone?
Yes , I have been spewing out money lol
I am an off with the amount of rest on my undercarriage considering the replace the subframe and all of the other warranty recall issues.. I'm in!

Registered
Exact same thing happened to me. Now my car sitting in the garage waiting what I should do next. I would hate to junk it since the rest of the car is in good shape.
Nightmare's when you finally own your vehicle and put tons of money into it just to have crap like this happen! Give me some video of what my mechanic sent me I am horrified..

Registered
Hi All,

My mechanic now says the same level of corrosion appears in the rear subframe. I didn't have the chance to go under it myself and take pictures, but the thought is very disturbing.

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
I have the same thing happened. Actually the control arm fell off my rear subframe while I was driving. That is what alerted me that there something major happening.. I had to replace the whole subframe on the back plus the control arm and sway bar links. My mechanic informed me the front needed to be done as well and we found out about the recall. I was never notified about this. I am so aggravated. How on Earth is not a major safety issue? It's just as important as the front. Just because it doesn't affect steering. That's ridiculous. Mazda should be paying for the subframe on the back and front and anything else that is over rusting. I did report this to the NHTSC.

Registered
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
My whole rear subframe is completely rusted out and the control arm fell off while I was driving. Luckily I was only going 5mph. I haven't contacted Mazda yet because it just happened. If they don't help me, I will report it to the NHTSA. The whole subframe SHOULD have been recalled, not just the front. I know this is an older post, has anyone had any luck with this with Mazda repairing?

Attachments

Registered
LOL, your car looks like its been sitting in a lake for years and you want Mazda to replace a 12 year old part for free? Where is the verbiage i seem to be missing where a car maker is remotely liable for anything on the car for as long as it happens to exist? You gonna buy a 64.5 Mustang and expect Ford to cover the motor mounts?

Registered
Yeah, but subframe rust is endemic to second generation 6's. Abnormal amounts, spreading like wildfire. Yes, it's some years after the car was mfr'd and sold, but Mazda subframe quality really sucked then... (and hopefully has improved since then - though I'm still sceptical)

Registered
Yeah, but subframe rust is endemic to second generation 6's. Abnormal amounts, spreading like wildfire. Yes, it's some years after the car was mfr'd and sold, but Mazda subframe quality really sucked then... (and hopefully has improved since then - though I'm still sceptical)
Good thing is, we have a few members here who have over 200,000 miles. And with that, I would like to conclude that our cars are the improved version of it.

Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
My whole rear subframe is completely rusted out and the control arm fell off while I was driving. Luckily I was only going 5mph. I haven't contacted Mazda yet because it just happened. If they don't help me, I will report it to the NHTSA. The whole subframe SHOULD have been recalled, not just the front. I know this is an older post, has anyone had any luck with this with Mazda repairing?
View attachment 243526
No luck from Mazda, either strap it together with a ratchet tie down (rally style) <-- don't do this or have one sent from a salt free part of the country.
Here's one in Windsor CA that is likely okay if it has been in CA the whole time.
Go to Row52 and contract a puller to grab it and freight it to you.

Alternatively you could go to ebay and buy a new one.
GS3L-28-80XD $440
GS3L-28-80XE $840

Check your year.

Registered
No luck from Mazda, either strap it together with a ratchet tie down (rally style) <-- don't do this or have one sent from a salt free part of the country.
Here's one in Windsor CA that is likely okay if it has been in CA the whole time.
Go to Row52 and contract a puller to grab it and freight it to you.

Alternatively you could go to ebay and buy a new one.
GS3L-28-80XD $440
GS3L-28-80XE $840

Check your year.
Exact same thing happened to me last April on my 2011. Cost me a fortune. Nothing came up 4 a recall. Done with my mechanic tells me my whole front end is shot. There was coverage on it.

Registered
It is that time of the year again, the inspection. I took some photos of my problem while the car was at the mechanic. It is very disturbing to see how bad it is. These pictures are from the rear right side.
This time I'll go ahead with the find-a-replacement-frame-from-a-scrapyard route and get this fixed. I don't feel secure to drive this car on a highway anymore... There goes my savings...

I had submitted a claim with the NHTSA a while ago. I know there are other people who did the same and hope this will become another recall and we will all get our money back. But I have my serious doubts... 馃槧

View attachment 242307 View attachment 242308
I submitted a claim too for the same reason. Doubt they'll do anything

Registered
REPORT TO NHTSA...THE MORE OF US THAT DO IT THE BETTER
just joined the forum to say the same. Replaced the front subframe after the recall, but now mechanic is saying the same issue with the rear. Reporting to NHTSA today.

Hand Automotive tire Wheel Wood Rim

41 - 60 of 72 Posts