Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
2021 Mazda6 Carbon Edition
8,635 Posts
As with the front subframe issue that cropped up a few years ago, the only way to get ANY traction for a TSB or a safety recall is to log a complaint on the NHTSA website. Once they started their own investigation on the front subframe problem, Mazda finally took a good look at what was happening, which soon led them to issuing a safety recall.

As for getting the repair done, then getting reimbursed if a recall does appear, it's possible. Hold on to all your paperwork and receipts, then talk to as many people you can reach at Mazda NA. It took me a few months and about a dozen different phone calls, both with the dealer and Mazda corporate, but they reimbursed me for the entire repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As with the front subframe issue that cropped up a few years ago, the only way to get ANY traction for a TSB or a safety recall is to log a complaint on the NHTSA website. Once they started their own investigation on the front subframe problem, Mazda finally took a good look at what was happening, which soon led them to issuing a safety recall.

As for getting the repair done, then getting reimbursed if a recall does appear, it's possible. Hold on to all your paperwork and receipts, then talk to as many people you can reach at Mazda NA. It took me a few months and about a dozen different phone calls, both with the dealer and Mazda corporate, but they reimbursed me for the entire repair.
You are totally right, whatever you do, it is crucial that you report any issues with the rear subframe to the NHTSA and Transport Canada so they can begin investigating the problem like with the front subframe. Even if it has not broken yet, excessive corrosion and flaking is not normal and should be reported. This was the case with 2007-2011 Honda CRVs and this led to a recall last year after muliplte complaints were filed with Transport Canada. It only takes a couple minutes and will make a big difference in this potential recall process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I had the front subframe replaced in my 2011 Mazda 6, through the recall.
My mechanic now says the same level of corrosion appears in the rear subframe. I didn't have the chance to go under it myself and take pictures, but the thought is very disturbing.
Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
Exact same thing happened to me. Now my car sitting in the garage waiting what I should do next. I would hate to junk it since the rest of the car is in good shape.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2011 Mazda6 here with 140k miles. I had front subframe rust replaced under recall. Now rear subframe needs complete replacement due to holes including at rear shock tower.

Rear subframe rust:

Holes in frame discovered during surface rust removal:

Dealer wants $4000 to replace rear subframe on a 9yr old car. The rust at that rear shock severely comprised structural integrity of the car. This is not a “maintenance item” in my opinion and should last life of vehicle. Now I’m afraid to drive on highway. The steel/corrosion resistance on this vehicle is complete junk. Car won’t pass inspection here in NC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That looks really bad! Even though it looks alright at a quick glance and the subframe isn’t flaking, it’s really compromised and dangerous! Imagine if the spring mount collapses and you lose control especially at higher speeds. Mazda needs to act now before someone gets hurt.

Please contact the NHTSA as well as Transport Canada to file a formal complaint. This way they can proceed to an investigation and impose a recall just like with the front subframe! Even if you haven’t had a terminal failure flaking paint and rust holes are not normal!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me. Now my car sitting in the garage waiting what I should do next. I would hate to junk it since the rest of the car is in good shape.
That’s the problem, these cars are very reliable and hold up well, but the subframes were improperly protected against corrosion from the factory and it badly needs to be addressed. Chrysler had similar issues with their FRONT AND REAR subframes as well as Toyota with their truck frames, because the were improperly designed and improperly protected from corrosion. These companies all issued a recall and replaced them quickly to avoid serious safety issues and getting sued. Mazda should address this as well, but the only way is to file formal complaints with the NHTSA and Transport Canada si they issue a recall.
Here are the respective websites to file a complaint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2011 Mazda6 here with 140k miles. I had front subframe rust replaced under recall. Now rear subframe needs complete replacement due to holes including at rear shock tower.

Rear subframe rust:

Holes in frame discovered during surface rust removal:

Dealer wants $4000 to replace rear subframe on a 9yr old car. The rust at that rear shock severely comprised structural integrity of the car. This is not a “maintenance item” in my opinion and should last life of vehicle. Now I’m afraid to drive on highway. The steel/corrosion resistance on this vehicle is complete junk. Car won’t pass inspection here in NC.
I went through the exact same thing. I ended up finding a used rear sub frame in good shape. I ended up painting it with heavy duty tractor paint Hoping to get at least 2 more years out of this car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That looks really bad! Even though it looks alright at a quick glance and the subframe isn’t flaking, it’s really compromised and dangerous! Imagine if the spring mount collapses and you lose control especially at higher speeds. Mazda needs to act now before someone gets hurt.

Please contact the NHTSA as well as Transport Canada to file a formal complaint. This way they can proceed to an investigation and impose a recall just like with the front subframe! Even if you haven’t had a terminal failure flaking paint and rust holes are not normal!
I went ahead and filed a complaint with NHTSA. I am taking my car in to my local Mazda dealer on Tuesday morning to see what they say about my rear subframe. I will report back with what they tell me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So my car was at the dealer for a few days. I gave the dealership my case # from Mazda. The dealer sent Mazda pictures of my rear sub frame. Mazda corporate declined to do anything. The dealer also refused to help me out on the price of a new car.

I’m now looking to see if I can get a rust free rear subframe from a junk yard to have an independent shop install it. The list price of a new rear subframe is $2,800. Unless I find a junk yard rear subframe that isn’t rusted this car will be going to the junk yard as well.

Mazda is fine with a car under 10 years old rotting away. Not worth the price compared to other vehicle brands. They have not fixed their corrosion issues. This is the first and last Mazda I’ll ever buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went through the same thing you did. Feel your pain. I just put a used sub frame on last weekend purchased from eBay. Make sure it’s from a southern states were there is no salt exposure. It had some surface rust but I cleaned it up, primed and painted it. I should easily get a few more years out of this. You can also look on car-parts.com to find used parts listed at any junk yard. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found a local yard that has a few Mazda6 - they are pulling a subframe for me for $125 and are delivering to a local shop. Labor was quoted at $670. I’m going ahead with the repair.

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
Hi All,

My mechanic now says the same level of corrosion appears in the rear subframe. I didn't have the chance to go under it myself and take pictures, but the thought is very disturbing.

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
I just had the front subframe replaced on my 2010 Mazda 6 in February 2021 (a failed recall done in June 2019). I was driving and the steering went out of align. I brought the car to a mechanic and he found that the front subframe had rusted and let go. I had asked him to check the back subframe and he said its soft and quite rusted. The Mazda mechaic said its just surface rust and would last the rest of the life of the vehicle. I tried to pursue the back subframe issue with Transport Canada at the same time i pursued the front end failed subframe recall. Transport Canada said its not a recall cause the rust issues are visible while doing regular maintanence. The front subframe area of concern was not visible as its covered my a rubber membrane. My advice to Mazda car owners is to be aware of the condition of the under carriage of your vehicle. It is most likely far more rusted than you think it may be. Research states that there could have been a problem with the type of metal used right from the manufacturer!

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
I went through the same thing you did. Feel your pain. I just put a used sub frame on last weekend purchased from eBay. Make sure it’s from a southern states were there is no salt exposure. It had some surface rust but I cleaned it up, primed and painted it. I should easily get a few more years out of this. You can also look on car-parts.com to find used parts listed at any junk yard. Good luck.
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc
Yes i am having the same issue on the back subframe. My mechanic said its soft and rusted. Mazda says its just surface rust. Is just fought Mazda Canada over a failed front subframe recall that was done i June 2019

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks.
Hakan Toykoc

I live in Montréal, QC the roads are tough here. I had the chance to buy a mazda 6 2010 for 800$CAD with 240km. It basically had the rear subframe issue and yeah the front was changed on recall. I didn’t know the cost of changing the rear subframe until I called the mazda dealer. Heck, the subframe itself costs about 1800$ before tax. Long story short, after crying the whole day hearing this bad news, just kidding I wasn’t crying, ok maybe a bit. So I found a decent rear subframe for 40$ at kenny-u-pull, it’s basically a self service scrap yard here in QC. I took of the surface rust (lots of ways to do it). Put two coats of rust-oleum paint and installed it.
here are some pics, I wanted to make a video but I thought It wouldn’t really help since it’s a pretty straight forward job, there is no differential or anything.

My suggestion is to buy a used one in decent shape and repair the damn thing or pay someone to do it for you. It took me 5h it depends how fast you want to go, Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Mazda 6
16 Posts
I live in Montréal, QC the roads are tough here. I had the chance to buy a mazda 6 2010 for 800$CAD with 240km. It basically had the rear subframe issue and yeah the front was changed on recall. I didn’t know the cost of changing the rear subframe until I called the mazda dealer. Heck, the subframe itself costs about 1800$ before tax. Long story short, after crying the whole day hearing this bad news, just kidding I wasn’t crying, ok maybe a bit. So I found a decent rear subframe for 40$ at kenny-u-pull, it’s basically a self service scrap yard here in QC. I took of the surface rust (lots of ways to do it). Put two coats of rust-oleum paint and installed it.
here are some pics, I wanted to make a video but I thought It wouldn’t really help since it’s a pretty straight forward job, there is no differential or anything.

My suggestion is to buy a used one in decent shape and repair the damn thing or pay someone to do it for you. It took me 5h it depends how fast you want to go, Good luck! View attachment 242150

View attachment 242151
If the back subframe fails, I will scrap it! May be a good deal for the ones that have a Mazda. Lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2012 Mazda 6i i purchased last winter with 240,000K
The previous owner had the front Sub-Frame replaced under Mazda recall.
The rear Sub-Frame is also showing excessive premature rusting.
Underneath the trunk there is a large Evap Emissions Canister that is held up with three spot welded brackets(THESE 3 BRACKETS ROTTED RIGHT OUT)allowing the canister to drop and drag onto roadway, scraping through the plastic body creating a hole within it, emitting cel light on for large Evap leak.
The very bottom of all four door lips are showing premature rust, one has rusted through.
The rear Sub-Frame issue, doubt Mazda will do anything unless sad to say somebody dies as a result of the Sub-Frame(It would be a massive recall)
Although my Rear Sub-Frame has a lot of rust, luckily it has not rusted through, so last summer i got an air hemmer/chisel and carefully used it to vibrate whatever rust i could hit with it, the amount of rust i was able to remove from it overfilled a normal running shoe-box, after that bought several cans of Rust-check from CTC and sprayed it as best i could.
Other options would be to purchase new or a good used one, but along with that route be aware that many parts that have to be transferred CAN and WILL break upon removal, so there might be significant amount of more cash right there.
Love the car, rides well,comfortable, great on gas, very nice styling, BUT this premature rusting thing is unacceptable for its given year/age.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts