Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a onyx black '03 6s and was cleaning it the other day and wishing that i had the bose system in it. i was in the trunk and noticed that there was connections for a rear sub but i would just have to cut a hole in the metal to place the sub in.....is it really that easy or what am i missing? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
eh the sub from the bose system sucks...well at least mine does so in terms of thump you arent missing much, the sound quality I am impressed with from the other speakers. Te sub in the 06 is mounted right below the rear windsheild and is a free air sub so I'm not sure if the 03 sub placement is different or not.

I'd say your best bet is to go with an aftermarket sub and amp

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If you are looking for a lot of boom, go aftermarket. If you just want the bass to blend in, the Bose is fine, but I don't know how it would sounds without the whole Bose setup.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yeah the bose system is ok if your not into a lot of bass or used to any kind of aftermarket stuff. If you want some decent bass Id go with an aftermarket 10 and a small amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks! sounds like im goin aftermarket.......since its just going to be one sub i wont need a large amp but anyone have a sub that they like a lot and which i shouldnt bother with? JL i had in mind...

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's not as simple as plugging it in. The HU is different, and there is an amp mounted under the passenger seat with the Bose system.

If you wanted a cheap way to add some thump, get a line-out converted, tap the signal wires from behind the head unit, and add an amp and sub in the trunk.

I have heard that tapping the rear speaker signal is not good as the rear has toned down highs and lows, and basically just reproduces mids. I tapped the signal from the HU.

There's lots of info in this forum about this stuff, so look around, and dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just blew my bose sub yesterday (damn reggae music lol) and i was wondering if i should try to replace the speaker with another bose or just switch to an aftermarket sub. if i go aftermarket do i then use the current bose amp to just power the regular speakers and get another amp altogether for the aftermarket sub?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree, I've had my car for 3 weeks...and I know Bose is overrated...but I thought I'd get atleast some decent thump from a 9" woofer......and I've heard factory cars with 6x9's get more bass...kinda dissapointing...might have to throw my crossfire in the trunk...didn't want to though.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I agree, I've had my car for 3 weeks...and I know Bose is overrated...but I thought I'd get atleast some decent thump from a 9" woofer......and I've heard factory cars with 6x9's get more bass...kinda dissapointing...might have to throw my crossfire in the trunk...didn't want to though.
[/b]
yeah I agree I had 6x9s in my last car that produced more bass than the bose sub, unfortunetly the audiophile in me has died down a little bit so I have more pressing issues that need my attention and money.

I had 2 10" alpine type S with an M300 mono alpine amp in my last car...they were ok but I was never that impressed, If I were to get an aftermarkt sub now I would got with a very loud high quality 10" and a decent amp to power it

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
nemesis, there are 2 bose amps in the car-- a 4-channel for the speakers, and a mono-amp for the sub. the mono-amp is attached to the bottom of the subwoofer. if you plan on going with an aftermarket sub, you will definitely need to get an aftermarket amp. the bose mono-amp is probably only pushing out about 50W @ 2ohms. there are no aftermarket subs that can handle 50W nominal let alone a 9" aftermarket sub. either you replace the sub with another bose, or you get a new sub system. i vote for the latter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
nemesis, there are 2 bose amps in the car-- a 4-channel for the speakers, and a mono-amp for the sub. the mono-amp is attached to the bottom of the subwoofer. if you plan on going with an aftermarket sub, you will definitely need to get an aftermarket amp. the bose mono-amp is probably only pushing out about 50W @ 2ohms. there are no aftermarket subs that can handle 50W nominal let alone a 9" aftermarket sub. either you replace the sub with another bose, or you get a new sub system. i vote for the latter.
[/b]

are you sure its just a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat? because there are six speakers: 2 tweeters, 1 speaker in each of the front doors and a speaker in each of the back doors. Thats 6 speakers. Also I believe the bose sub is 100 watts, whether thats rms or peak i couldnt tell you.
--Shadd

·
Registered
5 Posts
[/b]
thanks RYCE. i think im gonna follow your advice unless i can get a real deal for the replacement bose sub. a friend of mine is selling a kicker L7 10" in a box for $150 so i think im gonna head in that direction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts