Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I've read how we can purchase the hardware to allow us to fold the rear seats down...however, when I looked into it, I noticed the strut tower braces form a semi-triangle...somewhat preventing a 'pass-through' section from the trunk to the passenger area.

I was wondering, since I'm not a 100% suspension guru, if you fabbed up a strut tower brace that went from tower to tower, you could fold the seats down and get all KINDS of room between the floor board and the brace.

Any feedback?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ok. I've read how we can purchase the hardware to allow us to fold the rear seats down...however, when I looked into it, I noticed the strut tower braces form a semi-triangle...somewhat preventing a 'pass-through' section from the truck to the passenger area.

I was wondering, since I'm not a 100% suspension guru, if you fabbed up a strut tower brace that went from tower to tower, you could fold the seats down and get all KINDS of room between the floor board and the brace.

Any feedback?
[/b]
Triangles are where its at.. Waay more rigidity than a standard strut tower brace, as a matter of fact, the better rear strut tower braces actually work the same way.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking something along these lines....

So, you'd still keep some triangulation, but allow more functionality of the pass-through setup.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was thinking something along these lines....

So, you'd still keep some triangulation, but allow more functionality of the pass-through setup.
[/b]
Build it and they will come... maybe.

There will have to be tangible rewards for the modification. Be it for show or functionality or both. I agree you will have the functionality part solved. If there is a measurable amount of chassis reinforcement, especially over stock you will have an auto cross market, since this part can cross over to the standard 6 market.

If it works, sell it with an optional rear seat fold down modification kit with all the necessary parts and I would be one of your first customers! :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
since your fabing up stuff anyways you might as well include something similar to the autoexe rear bar.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Bam! Zing! Kapow!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Bam! Zing! Kapow!

[/b]

I mean, if they added a RSTB that was up topside, sure, but that thing?

Sure looks neato, but, sheesh..

Thats one of those "gotta seem some datalogged strain guage data" to believe it would do anything.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the idea and would buy one in an instant....if it worked.

... If there is a measurable amount of chassis reinforcement, especially over stock ...
[/b]
How would you measure this?

I assume there would be some relation to the type of material it was fabricated from.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure what that bar is reinforcing???? The tower flex at the top, not the bottom....especially with the MazdaSpeed braces in place. Kinda odd, imo....

·
Registered
692 Posts
I like the idea and would buy one in an instant....if it worked.
How would you measure this?

I assume there would be some relation to the type of material it was fabricated from.
[/b]
You put strain guages on the frame areas in question and read the flex before and after.

These work good, but are expensive. http://www.microstrain.com/2400sg-link.asp...CFR7TJAodcS3Dog

Wireless yet, very cool. :)

I'm not sure what that bar is reinforcing???? The tower flex at the top, not the bottom....especially with the MazdaSpeed braces in place. Kinda odd, imo....
[/b]
Yeah, I am having trouble seeing what its doing myself.

But, yeah, there isn't anything offhand to suggest that that extra low mounted bar would work very well at all.

·
Registered
851 Posts
they make things like a floor mounted bar the mounts to the b pilliars on the bottom that stiffen up the frame and they have been proven to work.

i believe what they were trying to accomplish a reinforcement to what the factory supports along the bottom. because from what i saw that bottom part could be stiffened up. because it's not exactly on par with what is above it. ok does anyone else have a clue to what i said?

·
Registered
692 Posts
they make things like a floor mounted bar the mounts to the b pilliars on the bottom that stiffen up the frame and they have been proven to work.

i believe what they were trying to accomplish a reinforcement to what the factory supports along the bottom. because from what i saw that bottom part could be stiffened up. because it's not exactly on par with what is above it. ok does anyone else have a clue to what i said?
[/b]
Lower bars typically help at least somewhat, but my issue is it would prlly be better to put the bar higher. I am ok with the lower bar and sometimes a lower bar is better just due to fitment/space issues.

Unless a company that makes these bars can cough up some before/after strain guage data, the jury is out imho. Just putting a bar in there somewhere is an answer, just not always the best answer imho. Not every company wants to spend 5k to do a chassis rigidity test on a 7 post suspension dynamics rig.

Of course there is always the full 10pt rollcage but not very practical eh? ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Please note the two black 'angle irons' in the photo. Those are stiffening the chassis. The pretty red bar is doing nothing but emptying wallets and increasing credit card bills.

Almost the like the brake threads. The brakes might use some different pads when the OEM ones wear out, but Speed 6 brakes are some of the best around --please compare stats if you doubt this.

You would need to be circuit racing to feel a mod like the pretty red bar and brakes--and even then losing some weight of the car would improve the more than capable stock pieces.

Don't lose sight of the REAL shortcoming -- clutch.

We need a clutch not pretty red bars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (DSpec @ Dec 1 2006, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=861343
Please note the two black 'angle irons' in the photo. Those are stiffening the chassis. The pretty red bar is doing nothing but emptying wallets and increasing credit card bills.

Almost the like the brake threads. The brakes might use some different pads when the OEM ones wear out, but Speed 6 brakes are some of the best around --please compare stats if you doubt this.

You would need to be circuit racing to feel a mod like the pretty red bar and brakes--and even then losing some weight of the car would improve the more than capable stock pieces.

Don't lose sight of the REAL shortcoming -- clutch.

We need a clutch not pretty red bars.[/b]
+1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts