• Nope! Don't need it.

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had an OEM copy rear spoiler on my 2018 GT, but I did not drill holes as I could not bring myself to, thus I applied it via 3M double-sided trim tape. It was secure for a few months, but then began to lift badly, so I had to take it off. I am looking at drilling as the only permanent option to keep it on the car.

I dread drilling the holes. I know I can do it properly, as I have been modifying cars forever, I just would have rather that been done from the factory as it would have been covered under warranty if any rust developed, etc.

My question is, does the car really need it to look good? I am torn. While I like it to help it stand out from the others out there, I am not sure if it really adds much to the looks of the car.

So, I am including pics of it on and off and I am asking you to vote on my poll.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant this to be a poll, but the poll did not post for some reason and I do not want to start this thread over, so just indicate your vote in a response. Thanks for you opinions.

·
Administrator
8,407 Posts
I meant this to be a poll, but the poll did not post for some reason and I do not want to start this thread over, so just indicate your vote in a response. Thanks for you opinions.
I added a poll for you.

...And I'm the first to vote yes! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
49 Posts
Not only do I say yes to the spoiler, but I've been wanting one for a while now and your pictures might be what sends me over the edge to just say "screw it, I'm spending the money on one".

Side note - where'd you get yours?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I have found one that does not look stock but will look good and not require drilling as the OEM copy spoiler does. The way the OEM one has to mount makes it near impossible to get a good seal all the way around with the 3M tape, thus it is prone to lifting. If I like this other one I will sell the one I have.

·
Rally Racer
1,974 Posts
I know what you mean about drilling in the sheet metal.

Use a step drill.
Clean up your edges.
Cover outside with tape and spray an etching primer over the bare surface from the inside.
Install hardware with a bleb of silicone sealant.
Use new 3M take on wing.
Take picture and show us the awesomeness.

Who is to say the dealer didn't install it...

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
Get the MVTuning electric spoiler... then you can change out the trunk and look whenever you want...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
463 Posts
I definitely will be putting a rear spoiler on my 2015 in the next month or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put on the $100 Amazon one and didn't drill. Perfect paint match and looks great but after a couple months is lifting on the edges. I tossed the drill guides which I shouldn't and will be eventually flossing it off and reapplying with wider 3m tape and cleaning the surface better (alcohol scrub). I may take a heat gun on the bottom edges to make it curve down some.
My lesson - it looks great and I should have drilled. Otherwise, should have not used the thin tape but purchased wider tape to at least make the ends stick better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts