Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question. Why is there so much attention to rear spoilers when most of us have front wheel drive cars?
When I had my rear wheel driven cars, yeah, the spoiler helped get more bite. Rear spoilers on our Mazdas is only asthetics? OK racers, give me your views on this.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Just a question. Why is there so much attention to rear spoilers when most of us have front wheel drive cars?
When I had my rear wheel driven cars, yeah, the spoiler helped get more bite. Rear spoilers on our Mazdas is only asthetics? OK racers, give me your views on this.
[/b]
according to MrTea, when racing on the track, he can feel a big difference between a spoilerless trunk and one with a spoiler on it.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i only have a lip on the car and when you are at 120+ it can be felt for sure, into braking as well. keeping things to the speed limit....looks are 99% of it i'd guess though.

i wanna get a super rice gaudy wing though soon as well as i think i need a bit more force pushing me down. the last track i was at the back end was way too squirly, i've added camber which should help. but skipping sideways while making a 100mph sweeper sucks ass....guy behind be rolled his car.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Rear downforce is always a good thing, no matter where the power to the wheels is going... especially if you are running a large rear sway bar like most of the track users here...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Spoilers have almost nothing to do with what wheels drive the car. At speeds where your driving wheels are fighting for grip, aerodynamics don't come into play.

A spoiler, like any aero device, is to maintain the car's handling bias regardless of speed.

Most cars generate lift in the rear at speed. This makes the car twitchy, especially under braking, regardless of drivetrain layout. Spoilers alleviate this. Thus, its equally important to have a spoiler on a FWD car.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Spoiler: as the name suggests spoils the party i.e. the smooth flow of air over the rear deck. The smooth flow air causes a low pressure area and consequently causing the rear of the car to lift up, which consequently means less grip on the rear tires.

if you are science student, jog your memory for Bernoulli's Principle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
And you have all answered his question quite well. I love this forum, a lot of knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
All that said, though -- is the WING spoiler that comes on a 6 sport for looks only? Or is it actually functional at higher speeds?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
thats why people with accords & civics use rice spoilers. They are to fast, so they need it. :nono: (pure sarcasm)
Based on the laws or w/e i guess they do help at very high speeds though. MrTea knows what he is talkin about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oh I pray I explain this clearly enough...

A spoiler can also reduce aerodynamic drag as well.

A car with a steap rear window and no spoiler can create excessive drag because the airflow won't "stick" to the car and seperate before it gets down the window and flows over the backend of the car. Using a spoiler placed in the right spot, can reduce the effect of the seperation layer on the car. Obviously this would not apply to cars with the "fastback" design, as they're designed to prevent this seperation until the very end of the car. Also, a lip spoiler could not be used for this purpose (or at least should not be).

This is only one particular case for the use of the spoiler. I am aware that some of Honda's production cars use spoilers in this manner, but I am unsure if the Mazda6's spoiler is used in this way.

Unfortunately, this does not answer the question, but hopefully adds to the knowledge pool.

·
Registered
206 Posts
a spoiler and a wing are 2 different things...

the spoiler, like chikoo stated, "spoils" the airflow to prevent tumbling and creating a vortex ebhind the car, which could cause drag and/or lift.

a wing, like the type on the wrx, is raised because it needs to catch undisturbed airflow. it is basically the same principle as an airplane wing(provide lift) just upside down, so the wheels get more traction.

wings DO work better on rear wheel vehicles, but spoilers are helpful for front and rear wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sorry to spoil the news guys n galsw, but they are the same thing spoilers and wings. Just different names for them. If you look at nascar and see what they use. Wings/spoilers do only 2 thinngs for your car.. period. 1-create downforce at high speed(anything 120mph is high speed)2- helps in lowering your drag co-effecientcy(ie the rate of where air flows over your car lower number is better ) with less air the car can attai a higher top speed with the same ammount of power.

·
Registered
679 Posts
And for 99% of people....both do nothing. Wings look retarded...look at the SRT Neon! Ugh!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
if you wanna do anything useful for your car you would make a windage tray for the underneath....
create downforce and keep drag coefficient

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
When I had my rear wheel driven cars, yeah, the spoiler helped get more bite. Rear spoilers on our Mazdas is only asthetics? OK racers, give me your views on this. [/b]
which end of the car the wheels drive has absolutely nothing to do with the aerodynamics of the bodywork

Notice the aero packages of the World Challgenge Mazda 6's....they have a fairly large adjustable rear wing along with a very subtle but effective front air splitter. Both contribute to the car's downforce and aero balance.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
All that said, though -- is the WING spoiler that comes on a 6 sport for looks only? Or is it actually functional at higher speeds?
[/b]
It's probably more aesthetic than functional, though it probably does provide some downforce at speeds over 100 mph (below that, it probably doesn't do anything). More functional, I would think, is the front air dam (that little black piece protruding below the bumper on each side).

You can see it sticking down below the front bumper in this pic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts