Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need to replace the rear shocks in my mazda 6 '07' and have a couple of questions. Is it a difficult job?
Is there any particular shock suited to my car? Ive just ordered a set of Sachs rear shocks… Any info would b apreciated

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,542 Posts
Hello And welcome. The job is not hard at all. The shock and it's mount are very specific in how they insert and are removed. Unless you have the 4wd Mazda which I am unsure about.

Unbolt the top mount and remember how you position it when you remove it. It will have to go back in the same way, like a puzzle piece.
I did not have to force anything at all. I did not have to remove anything extra or loosen anything to get them out.
I marked the angle of the shock and mount by outlining it on the ground with chalk but you will need to match the shock/bracket angle when you replace the unit.
A stock suspension replacement is fine of you are not modified. Sachs is a globally recognized brand and should do fine.
That's really it.
Good luck.

I would also consider doing the fronts as well. A new rear shock will increase the burden placed on old front struts and speed their failure. 🤷‍♂️ YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello And welcome. The job is not hard at all. The shock and it's mount are very specific in how they insert and are removed. Unless you have the 4wd Mazda which I am unsure about.

Unbolt the top mount and remember how you position it when you remove it. It will have to go back in the same way, like a puzzle piece.
I did not have to force anything at all. I did not have to remove anything extra or loosen anything to get them out.
I marked the angle of the shock and mount by outlining it on the ground with chalk but you will need to match the shock/bracket angle when you replace the unit.
A stock suspension replacement is fine of you are not modified. Sachs is a globally recognized brand and should do fine.
That's really it.
Good luck.

I would also consider doing the fronts as well. A new rear shock will increase the burden placed on old front struts and speed their failure. 🤷‍♂️ YMMV.
Just a question on the shock angle, what happens if it's not right ?

Reason I ask is my rear shocks were replaced by KYBs 9 months ago and their is absolutely no give in them, thought at 8000kms they'd soften but unfortunately not. From the model number they are correct for a 6 so would think they'd be OK....

When I try the bounce test on either side of the rear the only give appears to be in the tyres....

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,542 Posts
Fitting them with the correct angle is to preserve the bushings.
The shock can't bind if it is attached to the chassis and suspension, unless there is an internal issue.
If you shock does not compress at all, then it is too long. You will know when you drive because all your dental fillings will be jarred loose.
Do the wheels drop when the car is raised?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fitting them with the correct angle is to preserve the bushings.
The shock can't bind if it is attached to the chassis and suspension, unless there is an internal issue.
If you shock does not compress at all, then it is too long. You will know when you drive because all your dental fillings will be jarred loose.
Do the wheels drop when the car is raised?
The rear wheel drop when jacking the rear up is 10cm / 4inches...

Big bumps are OK I guess, it's the little ripples that seem to make the rear jiggle or oscillate oddly.... I have since had the front shocks replaced with KYBs but while the front feels good with a taught give when compressing the rear has no give at all in comparison.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,542 Posts
The rear wheel drop when jacking the rear up is 10cm / 4inches...

Big bumps are OK I guess, it's the little ripples that seem to make the rear jiggle or oscillate oddly.... I have since had the front shocks replaced with KYBs but while the front feels good with a taught give when compressing the rear has no give at all in comparison.
Nothing, even if you stand in the boot and jump up and down? That seems off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts