Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the rear pads on our 03 a few days ago. Had a bit of trouble with a stuck pin that needed some heat to get out and caliper threads that required chasing with a tap.

Both sides turn easily by hand (though the drivers side w/formerly stuck pin seems a bit harder to turn). Braking action is excellent.

Upon checking the rotor edge temperatures with infrared thermometer after a 20 mi local trip tonight, I found that the rear rotors were ~ 160F while the fronts were only ~ 125F. This was taken on the edge of the rotors, so the emissivity of the shiny surface shouldn't be skewing the numbers.

Is it normal for recently changed rear pads to cause that much of a difference in temp until they are "bedded"? I don't think they are really dragging (like a stuck caliper) or the temps would probably be considerably higher.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'd say the difference in temp has more to do with the fact the the rear rotors are not vented. 160F isn't high at all really for the braking system. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can feel any drag,or smell burnt pad obviously.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out that problem caliper was continuing to be so. It was getting much hotter than the other three. Rebuilt caliper installed and running a lot cooler.

Just an FYI for those that stumble on this thread: If you take the old caliper with you to the store to avoid a return trip for the core refund, make sure you take off everything that isn't actually part of the caliper. The bracket that holds the parking brake cable, for example, is not included in a rebuilt caliper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts