Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, i'm trying to install the spring DIY, i'm doing the rear 1st, when it comes to unscrew the lower arm bolt of the spring cap or wahtever it's called, it just won't MOVE, i tried really hard even can hear some squeezy sound, but the bolt just won't move. I did removed the sway bar arm one, can anyone tell me what's happening here? or went wrong? :(
thansk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello everyone, i'm trying to install the spring DIY, i'm doing the rear 1st, when it comes to unscrew the lower arm bolt of the spring cap or wahtever it's called, it just won't MOVE, i tried really hard even can hear some squeezy sound, but the bolt just won't move. I did removed the sway bar arm one, can anyone tell me what's happening here? or went wrong? :(
thansk
[/b]

yeah, i do have the jack under the spring cap thing, i have tried lowered or even higher the spring with the jack, but it just won't move!! should i level up the spring with the screw or something? i think i kinda did that too, what's wrong with me? or the spring ? or the spring cap? arrhhh.!!!! :irate: or should i use a electrical bolt hand gun so it will have more power to unscrew the bolt?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Make sure you are turning it CCW...you will be in deep trouble if you start stripping either that bolt or the welded nut. You should have a buddy with you, its a bit of a challenge the first time you have to line all the holes back up again.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Just kick it around and play with it, you'll get it.

Using a jack helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure you are turning it CCW...you will be in deep trouble if you start stripping either that bolt or the welded nut. You should have a buddy with you, its a bit of a challenge the first time you have to line all the holes back up again.
[/b]
did you mean that i need to line the holes back up after i finish installed the spring or when i'm unscrewing the bolt?

alright, i'll try to kick it around and try it again today, hope it will work, seems i did what you guys have told me to, thanks all
will let you guys know

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
You'll notice that as soon as you remove the control arm bolt, that the control arm will somewhat shift outwards about 1-2mm towards you. Its because of this, that when you put the new spring in, and re-compress the control arm, its a bit of challenge getting the holes to line back up again the until your familiar. The reason is that the bushings push control arm towards the outside of the car. I use an old tire iron to kinda force it back towards its origin into the car, at which point that bolt instantly goes through and engages the threading of the welded nut. My racing beat springs jokingly advise that the position of where you have the hydralic jack may need adjusted and also that multiple attempts may be necessary. blah blah blah.

Also, always make sure you have the sway-endlink free and through the control arm, and not cocked against it when you are compressing. Only after you get the control arm bolt through and torqued, then line up and torque the endlink bolt.

The driver side I can line up alone, the passenger side I usually need some help.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Impact gun FTW. Those suspension pieces are a PITA and the best and fastst method of dealing with them is air tool, or plug-in-the-wall works too.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Also a little tip, when the bolt gets past the threads in the nut, put a combo wrench under the head of the bolt, and tap it a little with a ball peen, just enough to get to the threads, then finish unthreading it. thats what i have had to do. and honestly, if you leave the rear tire on, it makes it easier to have a buddy move the tire around to help you align the bolt hole back up. trust me. i have put springs on 8, 6's here locally. ;)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Use some PB blaster and get yourself an Air socket wrench. If you think the backs hard wait til you hafta take out the A arm bolt. The thing is the biggest bitch. Also the air impact wrench is awesome for tightening up your springs in the spring compressor. It basically makes the job a whole lot easier I just finished my spring install myself and could not have done it without that tool. It took me 2 days to do but mainly because I sat there the whole first day trying to get the nuts off with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
didn't have the time to do it today, but it seems that DIY has more work than it appears to be. i'll see how it goes, i may consider let the shop do it if the price is reasonable i guess.
and thanks for all the help, really appreciated guys.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Dude the backs are simple I got those off all with a torque wrench, and for the front I had to use an air socket wrench for the A arm bolt. Just plan on spending a day in the garage. You save roughly 350 bucks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got those off all with a torque wrench
[/b]
Uh, you didn't actually try to use a torque wrench like a ratchet, did you?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to point out the blatantly obvious but, you're not trying to unbolt the nut that's welded onto there, right?
[/b]
nope, i'm not trying to unbolt the nut that's welded onto the arm, thanks and your video do really really helps a lot :love:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:laugh: FINALLY!! i got the rear spring installed, yeah, i didn't used the impact gun or air tool for the rear, just have to try it really really hard to get those bolts off. thanks guys. BUT, it spent me 3.5 hurs to do the rear.....shit. well, i'm a neweebie to mod car DIY, so i'll accept that. so tm i'll attempt to do the front....sigh.....hope i won't spend over 6 hurs on the front. :sarc:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't feel bad about the time it took on the rear. I have air tools and it still took me 5 hours. For some reason, the passenger side rear is a lot harder to get put together. It was a damn 2+ hour wrestling match.

For the front, I found it to be much easier. But, I just pulled the struts and walked them over to the auto shop around the corner (and down the street). I had them deal with getting the springs swapped-out. I went to a couple autoparts places and neither rented spring compressors.

Good Luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
freewayflyer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing