Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what kind of unit our rear limited slip is? Clutchpack? Viscous? Torsen? All the literature I can find just says we have one...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
FoMoCo

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Anyone know what kind of unit our rear limited slip is? Clutchpack? Viscous? Torsen? All the literature I can find just says we have one...

Thanks
[/b]
I believe the LSD is a torque-sensing type, similar to a Torsen. I don't know what company supplies the differentials, but I pretty sure it isn't the Gleason Corporation (who owns the Torsen brand name). Thus, I highly doubt the LSD is a true Torsen.

You can find some of the techincal highlights on Mazda 6 Tech. The description of a the torque bias ratio leads me to believe the differential is similar to a Torsen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be a clutch-pack type since friction is involved.

From my understanding, Torsen uses gears?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The front-rear wheel torque distribution unit is an electronic control coupling, clutch pack.

Reduction gear, hypoid gear

Differential gear, straight bevel gear - 7.4 inches

Final ratio 2.928

Drive pinion- 14 tooth
Ring gear - 41 tooth

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Seems to be a clutch-pack type since friction is involved.

From my understanding, Torsen uses gears?
[/b]
Torsen/Gleason/Quaif types use all gears, but rely completlely on friction .... no friction no lsd.

MS6 uses simple friction cones on spring preloaded side gears, no clutch pack, no Torsen. The 2:1 bias is described as meaning if right rear is on sand and left on pavement, left will deliver twice the torque the wheel on sand delivers.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4220.html

Front-rear torque control is by clutch pack, duty cycle controlled lock.

----------

If you track the car often at DE events, change diff and center split oils yearly.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks for repeating what I said.

Torsen/Gleason/Quaif types use all gears, but rely completlely on friction .... no friction no lsd.

MS6 uses simple friction cones on spring preloaded side gears, no clutch pack, no Torsen. The 2:1 bias is described as meaning if right rear is on sand and left on pavement, left will deliver twice the torque the wheel on sand delivers.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4220.html

Front-rear torque control is by clutch pack, duty cycle controlled lock.

----------

If you track the car often at DE events, change diff and center split oils yearly.
[/b]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/b]
Actually, you never even answered my question about the rear limited slip. He did.

[/b]
So is there a name for this?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
[/b]
This was the only repeat, which I intended to confirm your statement.

"Front-rear torque control is by clutch pack, duty cycle controlled lock."

What part of the rest was a repeat? You did not mention the topic ...rear lsd.

-------

That's faster delivery to the doghouse than I'm used to from GF. :)

[/b]
It is a cone type, a variant of a simple clutch type lsd.

http://wikicars.org/en/Limited_slip_differential

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Actually, you never even answered my question about the rear limited slip. He did.
[/b]
I did, if you don't know what a straight bevel gear is, or how it's set up, then why are you asking about a LSD?

I even ADDED more information for you, reguarding the AWD clutchpack since it is part of the rear diff components.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's cool, I figured he knew how a straight bevel was setup.

Your detailed explanation is much appriciated.

This was the only repeat, which I intended to confirm your statement.

"Front-rear torque control is by clutch pack, duty cycle controlled lock."

What part of the rest was a repeat? You did not mention the topic ...rear lsd.

-------

That's faster delivery to the doghouse than I'm used to from GF. :)
It is a cone type, a variant of a simple clutch type lsd.

http://wikicars.org/en/Limited_slip_differential
[/b]

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I did, if you don't know what a straight bevel gear is, or how it's set up, then why are you asking about a LSD?

I even ADDED more information for you, reguarding the AWD clutchpack since it is part of the rear diff components.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's cool, I figured he knew how a straight bevel was setup.

Your detailed explanation is much appriciated.
[/b]
Just to be fair to enko, the MS6 straight cut bevel gears only refer to the spider gears in the carrier, and the side gears they engage. The 7.4" refers to the hypoid (vertical offset) reduction ring-gear (of ring and pinion pair).

This information alone could describe an open differential (no lsd), or could be part of a clutch or cone type (MS6) lsd. The use of straight cut bevel (spider) gears does exclude any torsen "gear" type lsds, where worm or spur gears are the spider gears.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tochigi Fuji makes it I think.

Tochigi Fuji Torque-Sensing Limited-Slip Differential
During cornering, weight and balance are constantly shifting, and therefore so is traction. Even the best-tuned suspension cannot prevent some of the traction losses that occur during tight cornering. Tochigi Fuji's torque-sensing limited-slip differential compensates for those changing forces and shifting traction by automatically transferring power to the drive wheel with the greatest traction at that moment. That helps keep the strong drive wheel firmly planted, giving the vehicle the traction needed to power through a corner without losing stability.

http://www.gkndriveline.com/gkn-driveline/...ns/tmd/slsd.jsp

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to be fair to enko, the MS6 straight cut bevel gears only refer to the spider gears in the carrier, and the side gears they engage. The 7.4" refers to the hypoid (vertical offset) reduction ring-gear (of ring and pinion pair).

This information alone could describe an open differential (no lsd), or could be part of a clutch or cone type (MS6) lsd. The use of straight cut bevel (spider) gears does exclude any torsen "gear" type lsds, where worm or spur gears are the spider gears.
[/b]
Thank you. Yes, none of the information provided in any way describes to me the limited slip portion of the differential.

Perhaps because you mentioned the duty-cycled clutches to transfer power to the rear - the "Haldex" unit for lack of a better name - you somehow think you've covered the topic at hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts