Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anybody else has noticed this. My car seems to not want to fold down the rear seats any more.... when using the levers in the trunk. On both sides. When you pull the lever, nothing seems to happen. If you reach into the car and push the seat, then sometimes it pops and folds normally. It's almost like the release cable has stretched -- even though I've only folded the seats down something like 5 times in the last year.

The buttons on the seatback work perfectly still.

Any advice? Does anybody know if the cables have an adjustment? Where to take the damn thing apart and check? I'd like to not have to take it back to the dealer (big hassle and all).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Same thing happening to mine except only on the driver's side. I don't want to take it to the dealer but I don't want to take the things apart either. However, someone told me they took their seats out and when they put them back in, they started working again.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would probably remove the felt liner and try to WD-40 anything that would be safe to WD-40.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thing still isn't working right...I might just take it in and find out what the dealer says about it...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thing still isn't working right...I might just take it in and find out what the dealer says about it...[/b]
Let us know what happened. I've got the same problem. Only the driver's side doesn't work from the trunk, passenger's side works fine. Both seats work perfectly from the inside. It's almost like a cable came undone or something.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I still haven't found the time to take it in. I'm going to, however, and will update this thread.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just wanted to update the thread for those who are having the same problem. The repair IS covered under warranty. I went yesterday to get an oil change, rotors turned (also under warranty) and have the latch fixed. They said it came off and had to remove the rear seat to re-attach and adjust.

Hope that helps,

-Nik

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Great info, thanks! I still need to take mine in.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2007 mazda6 se hatch. when i pull the handle on the left side from the trunk, it doesnt do anything. i can pull it all the way back, and nothing will happen. the right side is working fine. when i pull the handle back, i can feel the seat click and ill be able to just push the seat down easily. this is the first time that i've tried to fold the seats down too! i will take it back for dealer to check since im still under warranty. i just got my car back from the dealer because i had a creaking sound coming from the A pillar.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK guys,
There is a simple way to fix this -- takes about 10 minutes. What happens is the cable that connects the release levers in the trunk gets a little bit stretched, just like the brake cables on your old bike did. It looks like you can get this covered under warranty -- but if you are like me, you don't really want to waste a good portion of your day bringing it to the dealership.

Legal disclaimer - I am not responsible if you break anything, or if there is a firey crash after you perform this fix. Blah blah blah.

Here's what you need to do:

Step 1) Remove the trunk carpet.
[attachment=22508:Trunk___no_liner.jpg]

Step 2) Disconnect the seat liner from the bottom of the trunk. There are 4 connection points for the left (driver's) side, and 3 for the right side. Just pull up with your fingers, they'll pop out. It helps, if you approach this step by opening up a rear door, folding the seat down, and reaching through the seat opening (instead of trying to stand at the rear bumper and reaching across the trunk).
[attachment=22509:Open_up_seat_liner.jpg]

Step 3) Find the release cable, down between the back of the seat and the trunk floor. It is attached by a white clip. There is a blue marking on the cable for the left (driver's) side cable, and a white marking for the right side.
[attachment=22510:Release_Cable.jpg]

Step 4) Get the cable out of the white clip, and pull it out (there's some slack to work with).
[attachment=22511:release_cable_2.jpg]

Step 5) Open up the black casing -- you can use a small, flat screwdriver to pry it open.
[attachment=22512:adjust_cable.jpg]

Notice that one of the cables has 4 grooves. Whichever one of these grooves was being held by the black casing when you opened it up, move it one groove "tighter".

Step 6) Close up the black casing, and test. If it still doesn't work, move the cable one groove tighter, and repeat until it works, or until you've run out of grooves. At that point, you'll need to McGyver something, or give in and go to the dealer.

NOTE: Don't just put the cable at its tightest setting. When it get's cold, the cable will shrink (remember your high school physics/chemistry?). Set it only as tight as it needs to be, so that your trunk release works.

Put it all back together in reverse order.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dude, great write up and pix! :yesnod:
I'm gonna try this this weekend. Thanks!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
OK guys,
There is a simple way to fix this -- takes about 10 minutes. What happens is the cable that connects the release levers in the trunk gets a little bit stretched, just like the brake cables on your old bike did. It looks like you can get this covered under warranty -- but if you are like me, you don't really want to waste a good portion of your day bringing it to the dealership.

Legal disclaimer - I am not responsible if you break anything, or if there is a firey crash after you perform this fix. Blah blah blah.

Here's what you need to do:

Step 1) Remove the trunk carpet.
[attachment=22508:Trunk___no_liner.jpg]

Step 2) Disconnect the seat liner from the bottom of the trunk. There are 4 connection points for the left (driver's) side, and 3 for the right side. Just pull up with your fingers, they'll pop out. It helps, if you approach this step by opening up a rear door, folding the seat down, and reaching through the seat opening (instead of trying to stand at the rear bumper and reaching across the trunk).
[attachment=22509:Open_up_seat_liner.jpg]

Step 3) Find the release cable, down between the back of the seat and the trunk floor. It is attached by a white clip. There is a blue marking on the cable for the left (driver's) side cable, and a white marking for the right side.
[attachment=22510:Release_Cable.jpg]

Step 4) Get the cable out of the white clip, and pull it out (there's some slack to work with).
[attachment=22511:release_cable_2.jpg]

Step 5) Open up the black casing -- you can use a small, flat screwdriver to pry it open.
[attachment=22512:adjust_cable.jpg]

Notice that one of the cables has 4 grooves. Whichever one of these grooves was being held by the black casing when you opened it up, move it one groove "tighter".

Step 6) Close up the black casing, and test. If it still doesn't work, move the cable one groove tighter, and repeat until it works, or until you've run out of grooves. At that point, you'll need to McGyver something, or give in and go to the dealer.

NOTE: Don't just put the cable at its tightest setting. When it get's cold, the cable will shrink (remember your high school physics/chemistry?). Set it only as tight as it needs to be, so that your trunk release works.

Put it all back together in reverse order.

Hope that helps![/b]
Nice tip! I had the same issue on the driver's side. I solved the problem with a little grease (WD-40 is too thin to do the job). I had some grease left over from my rear sway install (lithium grease). I put a dab on my finger (this is a very heavy grease so you don't need very much at all) and lubbed the latch on the seat back. I cycled the seat back latch a few times and the problem is solved. It now works as it should. :yesnod:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Linked to 6Crew in the DIY section for exposure, great job man
(and I did give you the credit in my post)

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (Test_Drive @ Dec 12 2006, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=870798
Taking seats out looks like it's a pain.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61384

I was hoping for something like what the guys in the sedan do: remove the felt liner stuff and wiggle the cable...

Anybody?[/b]

Is this the same procedure for the Sedan? The same thing happened to me on the drivers side. Im not sure if the cable latch is the same.

And for those who said it was covered under warranty? Is this the bumper to bumper? or the Power Train?

I would assume the bumper to bumper, but not the Power Train.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nevermind.... Fixed it.
I realized the latch itself wasnt connected and somehow came apart.
Latch seemed really loose So I took it off first and found the cable and ball end had come out of the latch

Took me 3 minutes to fix

[attachment=44742:IMG_1475.JPG]
[attachment=44743:IMG_1472.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts