Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A high percentage of the Gen I's have some rust on the rear wheel wells, a weak spot on many Mazda's, mine is one of them.
My 6 is in perfect condition and it drives me nuts to see the rust making what could be a great older vehicle, look like a rust bucket. The reality for many of us is that it is not worth spending around $2k to professionally repair it by partially replacing the rear arch quarter body panel, considering that these vehicles are worth $1-6k depending on mileage and condition.
So, has anyone found a fender flare from another vehicle that fits the 6? If so, please share the make and model. I believe that if done properly, the flares will look better than the rust.

I saw a 6 on the road with a fender flare and took this pic. It kind of works but it is a little short at the front.

·
Registered
543 Posts
How did I miss this thread??? While I haven't found much of anything, I have often thought about a wide body 1st gen. I'm kind of leaning my build towards it slowly.

I have seen "over fenders" listed for our cars but they look more universal than car specific. At 1 point I was trying to look around for cars shaped like ours and I think the closest that I had seen was a Toyota and some Saab that had about the same body lines in the rear as ours. I haven't looked into it hard enough to see if they make kits for those cars or not.

There was a channel that was on YouTube where he did wide bodys at his home called Built but it's down or something. He just gave away a wide body Audi a4 wagon that he built this year. He took a kit from a different Audi but I forget what it was. It looked a little rough and I think that he could of done a little better but over all it looked ok

hqdefault.jpg

It's a shame that the channel is down because what he ended up having to do to the rears is exactly what I think is what would be needed for our 6.

Here is a pic that I keep handy as inspiration for my build. I'm a long ways off but I'll get there.

68941776_10156353041946881_3890760201422241792_o.jpg

If that 4 door can be wide so can ours :cool:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did I miss this thread??? While I haven't found much of anything, I have often thought about a wide body 1st gen. I'm kind of leaning my build towards it slowly.

I have seen "over fenders" listed for our cars but they look more universal than car specific. At 1 point I was trying to look around for cars shaped like ours and I think the closest that I had seen was a Toyota and some Saab that had about the same body lines in the rear as ours. I haven't looked into it hard enough to see if they make kits for those cars or not.

There was a channel that was on YouTube where he did wide bodys at his home called Built but it's down or something. He just gave away a wide body Audi a4 wagon that he built this year. He took a kit from a different Audi but I forget what it was. It looked a little rough and I think that he could of done a little better but over all it looked ok

It's a shame that the channel is down because what he ended up having to do to the rears is exactly what I think is what would be needed for our 6.

Here is a pic that I keep handy as inspiration for my build. I'm a long ways off but I'll get there.

If that 4 door can be wide so can ours :cool:
Here is an example of what I believe you want. Me personally want something that doesn't stick out much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqEjwmAqMW0

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's kinda of what I'm after but those flares he used didn't quite look good imo. They looked too small to flow right with the body.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I've seen his posts and read a lot about what he did to his vehicle, including the ordeal he went through to disable the high speed limiter.

Although all suggestions are welcomed, I want to reiterate that I am not looking for fender flares to make my 6 look like a rally/track car, I just want something that blends in and covers the existing rust. Many vehicles come with plastic flares, the Nissan Pathfinder has a trim option that includes fender flares, as you can see, they are an add-on item that blends well and doesn't stick out much.

There are many universal ones on eBay but I'd like to buy something someone else has already tried and verified fitment.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You could get creative and bolt these over the existing panels. Though they are $63 each. But then again may as well just repair it with those lol

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just to let everyone know, BUILT is back up and running on YouTube. Their channel as well as some other got hacked and deleted. They are working on getting the other channels back but for those who may be interested in diy wide body/body work then you could go check out the channel.

The dad wagon was a cool build and one could learn some techniques from watching. Hope it helps someone out in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts