Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my 18" wheels on my 2007 Mazda a week ago. I just noticed that my fender bent inward a little bit. I'm not sure how it happened, but my pops is telling me that the tires are too big. My tires are 235/40/18. I know the recommened is 225/40/18 but thats all I have right now. Also it only happened to one fender and that wheel actually has a 245/40/18 tire on it. I know, I know, this is a problem, but how could the tire bend the fender outward? I was told that when the car hits a bump it can catch the fender and pull the fender out. Hard to believe. But, if this is a serious problem, I do have another 235/40/18 tire, so should I go ahead and change the one off sized tire? Also, is it dangerous to drive with one off sized tire? Its only one size wider...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why one of your tires is different than other :huh: :huh: :huh: :eek: :unsure:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
The Mazda6 requires wheels with very high offsets. Stock offset is either 55 or 60. Most people run no wider than 235 on RX-8 wheels and they have to roll their inner fender well lips to avoid what you experienced. 240 probably will not work even with fender rolling if you do not have the proper offset wheels.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'm kinda convinced that I need to change all the tires anyway. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just put my 18" wheels on my 2007 Mazda a week ago. I just noticed that my fender bent inward a little bit. I'm not sure how it happened, but my pops is telling me that the tires are too big. My tires are 235/40/18. I know the recommened is 225/40/18 but thats all I have right now. Also it only happened to one fender and that wheel actually has a 245/40/18 tire on it. I know, I know, this is a problem, but how could the tire bend the fender outward? I was told that when the car hits a bump it can catch the fender and pull the fender out. Hard to believe. But, if this is a serious problem, I do have another 235/40/18 tire, so should I go ahead and change the one off sized tire? Also, is it dangerous to drive with one off sized tire? Its only one size wider...
[/b]
BIG MISTAKE. I would never run tires that are wider on the same axle. just because its wider, its also taller. the "40" is a percentage of the tire width. thats why when you increase ur wheel diameter u have too go smaller profile.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Talking about tires and sizes what is the stock size of a factory RX-8 tire ? If I put them on the 6 do I need to do this thing call a fender bender ? Also what is tht ? Can someone plese enlighten me ? I'm not too familiar with car lingos but trying to learn from this forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Talking about tires and sizes what is the stock size of a factory RX-8 tire ? If I put them on the 6 do I need to do this thing call a fender bender ? Also what is tht ? Can someone plese enlighten me ? I'm not too familiar with car lingos but trying to learn from this forum.

Thanks [/b]
It's not called a fender bender, it's called fender rolling, and, if you :search: , I guarantee you'll find it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You know, there are times when DaBears2k is right about searching first! This is one of those times!!! :sarc:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts