Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my wife got rear-ended by some guy at the Punahou offramp. Just found out today that the insurance card he provided was bogus and now I'm stuck with the repair. :mad:

There are scratches on the bumper where his license plate bolts dug into my bumper and the the edges are off seam abit. I'm gonna pull the bumper off today to look at any internal damage and try to reseat the bumper. Any ideas on how I should fix the scratches?

P

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm sure someone on here can you a step by step fix it description. Thankfully it does not look too bad.....
On a side note I saw something recently that stated only 1 in 3 drivers in Hawaii had proper insurance. I don't know how accurate this is but, scary if it is true!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah what happened was that he had a valid insurance card...problem was that the policy was cancelled last month and all of his phone numbers listed on the policy have been disconnected. I have an address but I'll bet that's bogus too.

So I made an attempt to remove the rear bumper but apparently the 2007 model is different so the Bumper Removal FAQ here does not apply. I guess I have to wait for the gurus to respond.

P

·
Registered
458 Posts
What kind of car hit you?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got hit by a Jeep Wrangler. If I use insurance i'll have to pay my normal deductible

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hope your wife is okay after getting wacked in the back!
As for repair, I just take my stuff to the body/paint shop.
Same thing happend to my wife.....before the JDM conversion. *whew!
About removing the bumper, what makes yours different from like mines?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Katsu - yeah my wife is fine. My insurance scheduled a damage appraisal at Punchbowl Fender this Friday. Maybe I should take it down to GH Autobody for a second opinion. As far as my bumper I think the difference is that the trunk carpet is attached a different way - not the way as noted in the How To where there are 4 plastic fasteners. I don't just want to yank it for fear that I may rip something.

P

Hope your wife is okay after getting wacked in the back!
As for repair, I just take my stuff to the body/paint shop.
Same thing happend to my wife.....before the JDM conversion. *whew!
About removing the bumper, what makes yours different from like mines?

·
Registered
612 Posts
sorry to hear about your car!! Im glad your wife is ok!!

i totally feel your pain!!! thats what happened to me last month!!! some asshole hits me whie my car was parked...gives me a "valid" insurance card and when i call the insurance, the policy was cancelled!! did you get the plate number of the car??

did you file a police report that day?? if you did, you should call the cops and tell them that the insurance card that was given to you is an inactive insurance policy....they may be able to issue him a no insurance ticket...which i believe is like $900. thats what i did.

it sucks that you have to pay the deductible, but it will probably be cheaper to do that than to pay a shop out of pocket...try and look around for a parts car first...maybe that may help save on cost.

how about this, ill give you my back bumper if you give me your front driver side fender? hahahaha nah just joke!! :) i hope it everything works out for you and you can fix ur car soon.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hey Katsu - yeah my wife is fine. My insurance scheduled a damage appraisal at Punchbowl Fender this Friday. Maybe I should take it down to GH Autobody for a second opinion. As far as my bumper I think the difference is that the trunk carpet is attached a different way - not the way as noted in the How To where there are 4 plastic fasteners. I don't just want to yank it for fear that I may rip something.

P
I'm glad you are taking it somewhere to be fixed. The only DIY solution I could think of would involve Bondo and those crappy paint brushes that come with the paint from Mazda. Those type of DIY jobs never turn out looking good.

If you really do not want to pay your deductible and do not care much about how your bumper looks that is an option though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
when I got rear ended, I got the guys drivers licence number too. Funny thing was, I was driving my truck. the trailer hitch was on. so my truck had no damage whatsoever lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Wow would you believe? I just got a call from my insurance company. Apparently the guy called his insurance company and made everything right. So looks like I'm getting covered after all. There are still alot of honest people left in the world...however the O2 sensor in my minivan went bad so the money is going there now. Jeez.

P

·
Registered
612 Posts
omg!!! you are sooo lucky!!! im glad things worked out for you!! i give that guy a lot of respect for doing what he could to make things right.

i ended up getting threatened and sh*t from the guy that hit me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Oh nice Philip, gives hope to other people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts