Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I browsed just about all issues and couldn't find anything to relate to this, so hopefully this isn't an issue that has already been discussed.

Ok so, I recently put wheels and tires on my 6. They are 225/45/18's and I have been experiencing "rubbing" ONLY on the driver side rear tire. I know I can get the fenders rolled but what I am trying to figure out is why I am having a rubbing issue on one side only.

Here are the cases:
Rubbing when I am by myself and go over a large bump/dip (if I don't slow down)
Rubbing when there is other people in the car when I go over a small bump/dip.

The gap between the tire and fender on the driver side seems to be less than the gap between the tire and fender on the passenger side...almost like the car is sagging on the driver side (if that makes any sense). My car isn't lowered either.

I have explained the issue to other car repair shops and (probably because I am a girl) they seem to think I am crazy and don't know what I am talking about. Yes, I am a girl, but I know when something isn't right about my car!! :swearin: The dealership wants $95 for a diagnotics test :tear: ...which seems a little ridiculous being that they will probably say they don't know what the problem is, so I figured I would start here for suggestions. I hope someone can relate and help me out, PLEASE! :yesnod:

Thanks! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That is a lil' odd.Have you owned the car since new? Maybe it belonged to a Guinness World Record holder for fattest person alive.Therefore the springs/shocks on that side are shot. :laugh:

Anywho, have your suspension checked to make sure nothing is bent/broken. And if that is'nt the case maybe change the spring,IDK maybe could be a defect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Mazda6007 @ Jun 22 2008, 05:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1374538
That is a lil' odd.Have you owned the car since new? Maybe it belonged to a Guinness World Record holder for fattest person alive.Therefore the springs/shocks on that side are shot. :laugh:

Anywho, have your suspension checked to make sure nothing is bent/broken. And if that is'nt the case maybe change the spring,IDK maybe could be a defect.[/b]

Nope, haven't owned the car since new. I have only had it for about a year now. The guy I bought it from was nowhere near even being overweight (to say it nicely) , :laugh: in fact he was a businessman who took great care of the car and was the 1st owner of the car (I know this because he gave me all the paperwork he had on the car which dated back to when the car was sold to him ;) ). Also too include, my weight would not have an effect on the car either. :D

I didn't have this issue with the stock wheels and tires, that's why I am stumped! I haven't actually had the suspension "physically" checked...I guess I can start there first.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had this issue for the Rear passenger side tire. It wasnt the fender that was rubbing, but the fender liner was sticking out a bit further cuz it was slightly torn. That was rubbing the tire. Check into that.

Also about the car sagging on one side...My car got sideswiped a year n half ago and the alignment was off. After I got the car back i noticed there was less wheel gap on the right side than the left...I asked the body shop if it was the reason the car seemed to be mis-algined. They kept insisting no. They did correct the alignment on front wheels, but it just doesn't seem 100% to me still. I went in 2 or 3 times with this ride height thing and the guy measured it with his computers and kept insisting it was 'normal' and that I was only noticing it because i was being nitpicky after gettin my car back from body work.

Haha also my rear fender got hit again... and I replaced it. The new one, the metal was sticking further out than the orig. fender, so they shaved it a bit. Also check that, your car may have had the rear fender panel replaced before?

Anyways make long story short, check the fender liner and how far the fender is sticking inward. gl

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
sounds like what others have already mentioned, but just wondering are you sure all the wheels & tires are the same offset and size? hey you never know, wheels shops are capable of anything especially after reading all the stuff on the boards that has happened to members...

Good luck and let us know what the problem was...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 225/50/17 (summer rims and tires) and they do rub in the back when there is too much weight in the back or i take the corners a lil fast. I banged up/rolled the fenders a bit helped a lil but not too much. I just deal with it now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions!! :yesnod:

I am going to start with one and work my way down the list of what to do/have checked.

In regards to the fender liner suggestion...I am pretty sure it's the fender because everytime it rubs it bends the "lip" (if that's what you wanna call it - the part you get rolled) of the fender downward (toward the tire) and I have to bend it back into place. There is no sign of this on the passenger side at all.

The alignment I will have checked. I know I have had an alignment done since these wheels and tires were put on, but it never hurts to have it done again.

I didn't get a vehicle report on the car when I purchased it. The car looked so good and the guy was honest and upfront about everything, I didn't think twice about it...I guess that's always possible. I want to believe that's not the case though. :( I could be totally wrong but I will leave that for last for now.

As far as the same size and offset of the tires...it's funny that you mentioned that because I thought the same thing and then thought no, that can't be. Once again I guess I could be wrong. As far as the same size....I would say yes, that's something you can pretty much tell if you look at the wheel and I got the tires separate from the wheels so I would hope the tire shop would know better if they had a tire that didn't fit the wheel. Now as far as the offset I guess that would be a little more difficult to determine. I did buy these wheels used simply because I wasn't sure on the look I wanted for the car so I didn't want to buy new and pay a lot, but these did come off of a Mazda 6. Who knows what you get when you buy used anymore. :(

I don't want to have to "deal" with this issue that's why I was hoping to get some suggestions and start with one and work my way down the list of stuff to have checked. ;) Guys should know (most) girls don't like to just ignore the issue (as some guys do)...we bug until it gets fixed, even if it's a stupid rattle. :laugh: No offense to anyone.....thanks for all your help and suggestions. When/if I ever figure out what the problem is...I will post it!! :p

Thanks again!!! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again!
Ok so here's an update.

I had the alignment checked as well as the suspension. Both are fine. I'm happy to know that but that still doesn't resolve the rubbing issue. :irate:

As far as the offset...I thought about it after I made the last post and remembered that I have had the tires rotated several times since I have had them on the car, therefore I don't think it's the offset either. :nono:

So, TODAY...I had the fender rolled. After I drive around some, I will see if that takes care of the problem. ;)

Post at ya later. :nana:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ive had the same problem since I bought the car. Dealer was really cool about checking it out and was going to replace the springs on it for free (this was about 3 years ago) unfortunately the car was shipped before the springs came. Anywho, this issue (the sagging driver side) has been constant with MS springs, RB springs, alignment, everything, so I guess I have just gotten used to it. I would say that it is a combination of the driver's weight and the gas tank that make it sag there (Mazda is notorious for have weak springs in the rear).
The only thing I never got around to checking was if the problem went away if I reinstalled the OEM tire and rims.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the same problem with my 6. The driver side rear rubs when I have passengers. Oddly the same does not happen on the right rear even when I have passengers back there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again!! :nana:

Update - after having the fender rolled....

Well I have driven the car a lot since I had the fender rolled and guess what??? No rubbing!! I have driven around with one other passenger in the car and two 60lb. dogs in the back seat along with 2 cases of water in the trunk and hit a few bumps/dips and it didn't rub. Yahoo! :laugh:

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing this problem on one side of the car only, but also sorry to hear that someone else has to deal with the same problem. Roll the fender.... :D I know having the fenders rolled is common with the 6, but I was hoping to not have to do it...I guess it's better than having to deal with the rubbing and I was stumped because it was only one side. Now I can go back to driving crazy again....ha ha ha, J/K. :laugh:

I guess this solves my problem. The gap in the wheel well is not significantly different from the passenger side, so I guess I won't worry about it unless I have another odd problem. :yesnod:

Thanks for all the suggestions and input...it was helpful!!

Happy 4th to all! :drive:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too!!

I have the same problem! It rubs badly when there are people in the car with my but when it is just me, it will not rub unless i hit a long tip in the road going to fast. I also did replace the rim and tires but i have the same exact size as the manufacturer. I am not sure why this is happening to but luckily i looked it up and someone has the same exact problem and on the same side. At first i was thinking it could be the suspensions are lower in the back due to possible ware since it is an 05 Model but it an opticall illusion since the first fender is larger than the rear. So my question is why this is happening to me as well. I think there might be a slight defect with this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I browsed just about all issues and couldn't find anything to relate to this, so hopefully this isn't an issue that has already been discussed.

Ok so, I recently put wheels and tires on my 6. They are 225/45/18's and I have been experiencing "rubbing" ONLY on the driver side rear tire. I know I can get the fenders rolled but what I am trying to figure out is why I am having a rubbing issue on one side only.

Here are the cases:
Rubbing when I am by myself and go over a large bump/dip (if I don't slow down)
Rubbing when there is other people in the car when I go over a small bump/dip.

The gap between the tire and fender on the driver side seems to be less than the gap between the tire and fender on the passenger side...almost like the car is sagging on the driver side (if that makes any sense). My car isn't lowered either.

I have explained the issue to other car repair shops and (probably because I am a girl) they seem to think I am crazy and don't know what I am talking about. Yes, I am a girl, but I know when something isn't right about my car!! :swearin: The dealership wants $95 for a diagnotics test :tear: ...which seems a little ridiculous being that they will probably say they don't know what the problem is, so I figured I would start here for suggestions. I hope someone can relate and help me out, PLEASE! :yesnod:

Thanks! :laugh:
I’m having the same problem 😞😞did u find out what it was ?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
if your vehicle has plenty of mileage on it, it could be due to worn springs and shocks. and/or bushings, etc

are you still on stock rim and tire sizes?
are you constantly carrying/keeping heavy things in the vehicle/trunk?
does this happen w/low fuel level or w/just mid to-full tank?

has your rear quarter panel fender been deformed is anyway?
fender liner is still securely mounted?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts