Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the real cost to me/dealer if the rear differential broke? I am looking for worst case and best case scenarios.

·
Registered
400 Posts
900 pluis in labor. Plus about 225 for the part. If u can find them just put the aftermarket parts on. It will just break again.

Reactions: lapisbluinhou

·
Registered
269 Posts
Are you talking about the diff, or the diff mount?

·
Registered
219 Posts
900 pluis in labor. Plus about 225 for the part. If u can find them just put the aftermarket parts on. It will just break again.
first he said the DEALER!!! so if you go to the dealer to get this fixed the rear diff is about 2500 or so plus about 6-8 hrs of labor!! If you go to the junkyard you can have this part for about 750 plus labor unless you do it yourself. If you are worried about the thing that make most replace their diff when if due to the forward diff mount then i would have that changed now with the Turbine tech mount and not have to worry about breaking the diff in the first place!! the Turbine tech is about 250 or so plus labor.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
The rear diff by itself is $4500. I got it for $415 from car-part.com. Book labor is about 9 hours. Nt to tough of a job to do by yourself. Just a lot of work. U need the right tools such as air tools. I've done it. Change all the mounts while your at it. It will make your life easier down the road.

Reactions: lapisbluinhou

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
LOL @ 9 hours.....Cobb Surgeline had never touched a MS6 rear end and did both diff mounts and rear sway in 3. Couldn't be much more than that to swap the whole diff.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have been able to pull a rear diff out of a car start to finish in about 2.5. But that is how the dealer makes their money as they are not in a race to see who is the fastest to take this part off!!! Hell i have gotten my motor our of my speed6 in 2.5 hours and the dealer calls for 14hrs!!! will i do that shit again NOPE!!!!

You also dont need air tools!!!! Air tools are for sissies!!! lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
air tools are great but you need to know when to use them and when elbow grease is best.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i said book time. Not actual time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts