Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Enjoying my 2016 Soul Red 6 - now beginning my fourth week of ownership... Some things though seem like shortcomings.

No frost yet here in NJ but the car has been outside every night (not much longer though!) and in the mornings all the windows and mirrors are fogged up. The rear defroster really takes a long time to clear the window enough to see. I can't wait and have to head to work unable to see out the back. I have to manually wipe the side view mirrors else I can't go anywhere.

Questions:

Are the rear defrosters in these cars that bad or does it sound like mine is in need of repair?

I have the touring. Is it equipped with heated side view mirrors or would they have been an option? (The only option on this car was the beautiful paint).

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've had no complaints with the rear defog; I have a Sport and it does not have heated sideview mirrors, however. I've looked into getting the replacement glass and, if necessary, pulling the wiring there (not sure if it's present or not -- it might be.)

I believe heated side mirrors only come from the factory on the GT trim on this car -- not sure though. My understanding is that on the "6" the rear defog also energizes the side mirror elements.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
I've had no complaints with the rear defog; I have a Sport and it does not have heated sideview mirrors, however. I've looked into getting the replacement glass and, if necessary, pulling the wiring there (not sure if it's present or not -- it might be.)

I believe heated side mirrors only come from the factory on the GT trim on this car -- not sure though. My understanding is that on the "6" the rear defog also energizes the side mirror elements.
I've also never had issues with my rear defrost and I've had the car out there in feet of snow.

As far as I know, someone on here said the wiring was there already, but don't quote me on that.

Correct, US-spec models only have heated on GT or Touring + Tech if a 2014 - early 2016, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - but not clear on two points:

My car was built in April 2016. How do I know if it has heated mirrors?

If your rear defrosters work fine, it sounds like mine might be faulty. I'm weary that a dealer isn't going to really evaluate it properly under CPO warranty. Any thoughts on resolving this?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
@SYakoban -- If it's a US market vehicle and not a GT, it doesn't.

I'd look for evidence of some of parts of the grid heating and others not; that's usually what happens (breaks in the heating wires.) For it to not be adequate across the board the way to check it would be to look at the voltage across the feed points on opposite ends with it on; it should be the full 12V. If it's not there may be a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great info guys!

@tickerguy No breaks in the grid. I'll have to see if I can check the voltage.

@LIMazda6 No tech package on this car. I totally agree about safety. There are some things on the 6 that still smack of Japanese econocar thinking from decades ago that really diminish what the car could be over a couple of hundred bucks investment.

FYI - we still have a 1996 Taurus we use to bring our dog to the park. It has a great/fast rear defroster and heated mirrors. This car should have had them standard.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Where did 'ya source the glass from? And is the wiring there for auto-dim as well? You said you'd need to run to the BCM -- that would imply that it's not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Where did 'ya source the glass from? And is the wiring there for auto-dim as well? You said you'd need to run to the BCM -- that would imply that it's not.
I actually bought one from ebay that had Blue Tint, Heat, Led Signal and Convex glass. Simlar to this one:

I'm actually selling my used pair incase anyone wants since I bought a newer model with Blind Spot Monitor.

Looks like you can also buy a aftermarket pair for $20 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-For-Mazda-3-BN-2017-2019-Mazda-6-GL-2014-2019-Wing-Mirror-Glass-Heated-LH-RH/283625309790

Heat and Turn signal can be tapped into the door harness. Auto Dim wire was not found and it would also require running wires from the auto dim mirror. Wiring can be found in the FSM but I never bothered to try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts